Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cree Torches

Options
  • 07-05-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a good quality cree torch for work, it has to be very bright.

I have been on AliExpress, Ebay, Amazon, etc

Many sellers advertise their cree torches as been super bright and claiming that they are 2000, 3500 lumens etc, which is nonsense considering the price they sell them at. Also many reviews have said they aren't that bright. Is there anywhere to buy a legit cree torch that it is what it says it is. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MackMack

I bought a ThruNite TN4A last year, It's "only" 1050 lumens but I find that more than enough to light up anything. It also runs on standard AA batteries which makes powering it much easier that ones using 18650s. A set of Eneloop AAs last about 3 hours on full brightness. Not bad for 42 Sterling too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017VUVEZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CREE don't make flashlights, they make the LEDs that go into them. Any CREE branded torch is fake.

On Aliexpress look for the Convoy Flashlight Store. I can't link but you'll find it. That's the manufacturer direct. They use genuine CREE LEDs and are very high quality for the price. For €15-20 the quality is incredible. I recommend the C8 (thrower - focused beam with long range) and S2+ (more floody).

You can configure the number of driver chips (7135) - more chips will supply more current to the LED and thus brighter (but also hotter).

I recommend 7135x4 for the S2+ because any more and it gets quite hot.
    7135x8 is fine for the C8 because it's physically bigger and has more surface area.

You can also configure the LED tint. Cool tints are more efficient (brighter) but most people find a warmer tint easier on the eye.

You can also buy Convoy torches on GB or BG...usually cheaper but less options.
    You need an 18650 cell and charger also.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When you say for work, what runtime is required?

Advertisement