Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise nuisance!!

• 07-05-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My neighbor has been moving cattle at night (approx 10.30pm / 11.30pm) the last while. We do not get on. Therefore the loud thumps and bumps are a dig at me.
    However we have a 6 month old baby who cannot get a proper night sleep with him.
    Also they house approx. 10 dogs (large and small) who have the full run of the place and bark at every falling leaf, none of which hold a license. This barking could happen anywhere between the hours of 4pm - 5am.
    I'm at a loss of what to do, in relation to reporting as I don't necessarily want him to know it was me (this man is dangerous, would go to any lengths to get rid)

Please help!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any chance you are perceiving the noise as a dig at you because you don't get on? Very hard to move livestock quietly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HappyDad93

endacl wrote: »
    Any chance you are perceiving the noise as a dig at you because you don't get on? Very hard to move livestock quietly...

That I understand but, purposely led until late at night. When all lights are off.
    Surely there must be some 'law' against the noise pollution.
    P.s. it's not a farm the cattle are being moved to. Its a bungalow with a couple of acres behind.
    There is a row of house's along the road also and many of which are elderly people living in fear of this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

endacl wrote: »

Very difficult to mooooove you mean :pac:

Joking aside, yes there are laws, get a sound meter record the levels and keep a log. Get on to the local council to direct you to which ever body/department that deals with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

HappyDad93 wrote: »
    I'm at a loss of what to do, in relation to reporting as I don't necessarily want him to know it was me (this man is dangerous, would go to any lengths to get rid)

Anonymity doesn't seem possible because you've to notify the neighbour twice if you intend to pursue a formal case against them.

From Garda.ie:
    If you would like to report a noise complaint immediately you can ring your local Garda Station. However persistent noise should ideally be referred to the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government. The Department of Environment website contains useful information about Neighbourhood/Domestic Noise pollution, faulty alarms, commercial and construction noise pollution and the Environmental Noise Regulations 2006.

From the Department of Housing, Planning, Community, and Local Government:
    Under the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Act 1992 (Noise) Regulations 1994 (link is external), any individual person, or a local authority, may appeal to the District Court for an Order to deal with a noise nuisance.

Taking a case under the regulations
    Under the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Act 1992 (Noise) Regulations 1994 (link is external), any individual person, or a local authority, may appeal to the District Court for an Order to deal with a noise nuisance.

Firstly a complainant must give notice to the person making the noise of the intention to make a formal complaint to the District Court and then he/she must serve a notice on the alleged offender that a complaint is being made at least 7 days in advance of the complaint being made to the Court. The District Court will hear both sides of a complaint and where it finds in favour of the complainant it can order the person or body making the noise to reduce it to a specific level, to limit it e.g. to specified times, or to stop it altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

Therefore the loud thumps and bumps are a dig at me.

Sorry but what are the "Thumos and bumps"; the hooves on the cattle walking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 HappyDad93

Suckler wrote: »
    Sorry but what are the "Thumos and bumps"; the hooves on the cattle walking?

Not only the cattle, but the deliberate banging of the cattle trailer doors for about an hour or more after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

endacl wrote:

No one should be moving cattle at 10.30 at night, it's quite obvious he is doing this to torment people, as for keeping so many dogs, you could quietly report him to county council if they are not licensed but then all he will have to do is license them, there is also a noise level act, you could report to the environment section of the Council with regards to this, all anonymously i would add if you consider him dangerous, no harm in discreetly recording the noise level of the dogs over a number of nights, weeks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That I understand but, purposely led until late at night. When all lights are off.
    Surely there must be some 'law' against the noise pollution.
    P.s. it's not a farm the cattle are being moved to. Its a bungalow with a couple of acres behind.
    There is a row of house's along the road also and many of which are elderly people living in fear of this man.

Is the farmer moving the cows from a local farm to literally the garden of a house on a daily basis? And are you talking a few cows or loads and loads? Farming in very much a 24/7 affair. It can be noisy at times and a lot of work goes on beyond the 9-5 work cycle that most of us follow. Moving animals is one such of these affairs and, well if it has to be done then it has to be done. If you are concerned about it and the welfare of the cattle or if there is reasons to be suspicious then you could contact a local veterinary inspector. If the location is unsuitable for whatever reason then they can take this up with him.

On the dogs, how do you know they are not licensed? If they are being mistreated or harmed then contact your local dog warden for their advice and follow up action.

Lastly, if there is any reason or events where he has been worrying residents or creating an untoward nuisance or anything else then you should call the local Gardaí. Bear in mind that in a rural area it may take quite a time for them to attend so be patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

Not only the cattle, but the deliberate banging of the cattle trailer doors for about an hour or more after.

Why do you say 'deliberate'? A trailer is a metal box essentially, any time I let down the ramp or open a door on mine it makes quite a bit of noise. Evening closing it gently isn't possible as it wont full close so needs a good slam every time.
    august12 wrote: »
    No one should be moving cattle at 10.30 at night, it's quite obvious he is doing this to torment people.

Why not? I have done and still do it as its required. It's not a 9-5, clock in and out sort of job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Suckler wrote:
    Why not? I have done and still do it as its required. It's not a 9-5, clock in and out sort of job.

I know it's not a clock in/out job but moving cattle at 10.30/11.30 on a regular basis at this time is not a normal routine as far as i am concerned and i am from a farming background. It shows little if no respect for people living next to him and having 10+ dogs also confirms this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement