Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair in Limerick

• 08-05-2017 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi folks. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Limerick or surrounding area that will repair a laptop.
    I had what may be a pretty catastrophic failure. Seems like something shorted out in it. Small pop with sparks and tiny puff of smoke.
    I need to have it looked at and fixed asap (if it is possible) as i have an internet show i run and i need this fixed for Saturday. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sounds like a mobo, possibly more.

Unless it's a very expensive laptop, you might be better to pick one up new? Could be any number of things. Perhaps a no fix no fee place? Can't see anywhere having it fixed by Saturday tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

i'm afraid RossieMan is correct.
    if the system board is gone it's pretty much not economical to repair.

what make laptop is it?

you could look for the same make or model on the net like ebay and get a system board but no guarantee that this will solve your problem.

if it's a Macbook and you have 3 year apple care, apple will repair it for free as long as no liquid damage.
    out side of the warranty your looking at 800 euro for a logic board.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Kinda expected to have replies like this. A service will be held on Wednesday. Family flowers only please.

It was an Asus from Amazon for what it is worth. Now to decide if I build a pc or go laptop again. Any advice for getting a rig in the region of €700 to game and record audio I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

to be honest to build for 700 isn't worth it, or it won't be a great spec machine. if you are looking to build a good gaming system and audio recording system you would be looking at nearly double that, the latest i7 is nearly 400 euro, system board 200, graphics card , memory, cooler etc.... it all adds up.

i always, and i mean always built my own systems, but over the last 5-6 years it works out way cheaper to just buy a machine form dell or HP with the same spec, and that includes warranty, if any repair is needed to a self build pc, unless you can do it yourself you will be goosed as not alot of places will touch self build, too time consuming.

if you could stretch i'd get a macbook, Load it with ram and it will last you years. i still run a 10 year old macbook and it still boots faster that most new machines, i don't know how this will suit with gaming though, i don't game myself

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

7-800 was what I spent last time and it kept me in good nick for 3 years played nearly all games on medium settings to this point. I would hope I can get the same again. The audio editing I do is crude enough so laptops can cope with it.

Time to do some research. Unfortunately not sure when i can invest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

have a jump over here theyll sort you out with a decent build for 700

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Advertisement