Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit and Veg

Options
  • 08-05-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

My little one is a very fussy eater, she wont even taste something very stubborn! what are the best fruit and veg that i can put into her lunch box to encourage her.. :o:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son is a nightmare with fruit and veg also, I get around the veg by blizzing them into sauces and the like.
    For fruit I give him those Innocent Smoothies in his lunch box, they contain nothing but fruit. On the downside they are pricey (?3.99 for 4) but worth it to get some fruit into him ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

How old is the child?

I've a fussy eater here too. The rule is they have to try it. I wont make him eat it but he does have to taste it before he's allowed to leave it behind him.

Smoothies worked a treat. I blend a banana, glug of orange juice, natural yoghurt and anything from spinach to berries. He loves his Hulk smoothie (spinach and avocado) and Iron Man one (red berries) but if I dished up those whole to him, he'd refuse to eat them.

Inviting a child who eats everything over on a play date works sometimes too.

Stealth veg also works well - blend veg into pasta sauces. I've been putting red lentils into my bolognaise sauce for years and nobody has copped on yet.

Try raw veggies instead of cooked ones - some kids love frozen peas and they can be eaten frozen. Celery or raw carrot batons. Maybe it's the texture or something?

And I've found that if I reintroduce the item a few months down the line he might try it and like it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

For the fun factor, mine like baby corn or carrots in their lunchbox. I don't chop the carrot, just pick smaller ones, I peel and chop the ends, and wrap in tinfoil or clingfilm. They like to crunch on the whole carrot better than when I cut it into bits. I have little tubs in which I sometimes put fresh pineapple cubes, berries, cherry tomatoes... The bigger one loves kidney beans or chickpeas in the tub. No sauce, just rinse out of can. Mine love melon, so I also buy a melon sometimes, and give them a long thin slice (like a watermelon slice, but thin) in a bit of foil/clingfilm. The melon lasts a good week if you replace it in the fridge every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

shes 6 :o Thanks for the suggestions, i really need to get the smoothies going! she used to love them, need to get back to that

Myself and the mrs were only talking about our little one over the weekend - we're unbelievably lucky with her and food - she tries and will eat just about everything - loves her fruit and veg - actually asks us for a bowl of mixed veg most days and will usually come looking for extra broccoli (what 3 year old does that!!!!!!!!!!!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Myself and the mrs were only talking about our little one over the weekend - we're unbelievably lucky with her and food - she tries and will eat just about everything - loves her fruit and veg - actually asks us for a bowl of mixed veg most days and will usually come looking for extra broccoli (what 3 year old does that!!!!!!!!!!!!).

My 4 yr old does that and because he's so good, I don't mind giving him treats (which he also loves!). Howvever, because the 13month old sees the treats, she screams for them also and as a result I reckon they've altered her tastebuds and she refuses to eat the good stuff. I have to distract her to get anything into her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My 2 were very much like that up to 5/6 years old. Tried everything, even French foods, ate their veg and fruit (although one has never really been into fruit). Then it all changed and now they do eat them, but only a finite selection.
    :(

I have very broad tastes so it's a bit frustrating when cooking for the family. No onions, no peas, no mushrooms, no peppers ... I'm sick of broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and carrots, which are the main ones they'll have.

Advertisement