Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hoping to buy 2nd hand leaf this week - charge card and home charge point

• 08-05-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

We are hoping to buy a second hand leaf this week and looking for some advice. We sold our 2 litre petrol accord at the weekend and the buyer took it away so we are down to one car and now need to act ASAP. Money is in the bank so plan to have a look at a few this week and hope to buy, looking at a 2013/2014. My questions is should I be doing anything so that things go more smoothly once we get it, we are stuck without second car! Is there any point is starting the process on a home charger now? Which one do people recommend? Can I register for a card before I have the car? How long does it normally take to get a charge card? Any other advice appreciated, can't wait to become an EV owner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

marpad wrote: »
    Hi,

We are hoping to buy a second hand leaf this week and looking for some advice. We sold our 2 litre petrol accord at the weekend and the buyer took it away so we are down to one car and now need to act ASAP. Money is in the bank so plan to have a look at a few this week and hope to buy, looking at a 2013/2014. My questions is should I be doing anything so that things go more smoothly once we get it, we are stuck without second car! Is there any point is starting the process on a home charger now? Which one do people recommend? Can I register for a card before I have the car? How long does it normally take to get a charge card? Any other advice appreciated, can't wait to become an EV owner.

Assuming you are looking at a Leaf, be sure it's a 1.5 Gen Leaf, as the battery is better. An easy tell tale sign is the eco button on the steering wheel. It doesn't exist on Gen 1 models.

Are you getting a 3.3 or 6.6 On Board Charger?

If you know exactly what you are getting, then it makes sense to push ahead and get a Charge Point installed. I bought and I recommend the Rolec chargers. One of the lads just got a great deal on one, so maybe he will stop by and fill you in.

You can email ecars and tell them you are collecting a car and ask them for a card, or two. Tell them you will supply the details once the car is yours.

Are you buying here, or in the UK?

What's the budget. What trim level? All important questions

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marpad

Hi, yes aiming to get 1.5 gen and thanks for the helpful info, I didn't know about the eco button. Thanks also for the tip re ecars, I will get onto them today. Buying either here or the North, starting tomorrow with looking at actual cars. Hoping to get something around 10K so not sure our budget will stretch to 6.6 although obvs woudl prefer it. Trim level SV (would love SVE but again budget...) I know we might be being optimistic on the budget front but hoping the fact that we are cash buyers with nothing to trade in will mean we get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Hi, yes aiming to get 1.5 gen and thanks for the helpful info, I didn't know about the eco button. Thanks also for the tip re ecars, I will get onto them today. Buying either here or the North, starting tomorrow with looking at actual cars. Hoping to get something around 10K so not sure our budget will stretch to 6.6 although obvs woudl prefer it. Trim level SV (would love SVE but again budget...) I know we might be being optimistic on the budget front but hoping the fact that we are cash buyers with nothing to trade in will mean we get sorted.

Be interesting to see if can get a 1.5 gen SV for 10 k , cone back to us with the end results !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get a charge master charger, seller on adverts has teatherd one for about 300. Get a 6sq cable pulled in from the charge point to above your board. Arrange for REC to connect.

Or get an outdoor plug socket fitted till you have a chance to sort the above.

You may have to go to the UK if you want to get your budget car.

Here's a nice Acenta. High miles, but well within budget. No mention of 6.6
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704264804352

Here's a lower miles one with the chrome pack. Also under budget, landed.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705085209382

And another
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104278222

All are Acenta. You won't get a Tekna 1.5Gen for the budget right now unless a private seller needs to offload one.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much goz83, some of those look like great deals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Thanks so much goz83, some of those look like great deals!

Some good suggestions there. Just be mindful of the 2013's. That was a change-over year - so not all of them are gen 1.5. You need a Sunderland built 2013 for it to be gen 1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That first one is a bargain at £6.5k! 64 plate so Sept 2014 or newer. Surely this must be a gen 1.5?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    That first one is a bargain at £6.5k! 64 plate so Sept 2014 or newer. Surely this must be a gen 1.5?

Yes, it's deffo a Gen1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Flex comes to mind. I'd be checking that out.

• Advertisement

Did you read the ad? It very clearly states that it is battery owned. "Full ownership of battery (no additional battery lease costs)"

Obviously a good idea to get proof of this though...

Did you read the ad? It very clearly states that it is battery owned. "Full ownership of battery (no additional battery lease costs)"

Obviously a good idea to get proof of this though...

It's around what the flex cars go for and if it sounds too good to be true an all that!

Maybe it's just the "high" mileage that has it so low but, as I said, I'd be checking that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

There was a 2012 Acenta with around 80k miles (one bar gone on photos) on it the other day for ?4250. One owner with FSH.

Proper cheap.

No battery lease on that? That's properly cheap too, although I feel a late '14 / early '15 gen 1.5 at £6950 is better value. I haven't seen a Leaf with battery owned properly under £5k for about a year (not that I look every week mind)

No battery lease on that? That's properly cheap too, although I feel a late '14 / early '15 gen 1.5 at ?6950 is better value. I haven't seen a Leaf with battery owned properly under ?5k for about a year (not that I look every week mind)

The one I'm talking about?

Nope. Battery owned. Only lasted a day on Autotrader! Not surprising really.

That '14 is cheap if it checks out. Probably have it on the road for less than ?7.5k.

Anybody else having an issue with the euro symbol?

When I reply to a post by quoting it, it comes out as a question mark. But I can then edit my post, change the question mark, and it then stays as the euro symbol!

Don't get me started on that one. And it's been going on for about 2 months now :(

Linky

Good man.

I'm ok as long as it's not a problem on my end!

Soarer wrote: »
    Good man.

I'm ok as long as it's not a problem on my end!

Happens for me too :)

Soarer wrote: »
    That '14 is cheap if it checks out. Probably have it on the road for less than ?7.5k.
    Either someone bought it or it was an erroneous listing - as it's no longer there. In the case of dealers on autotrader, some of them will post 'bargains' that are a mirage. Know someone who was shopping for a leaf a couple of months back - and was told ' oh, that car is out on loan for a few months'. However, here's our list of available Leafs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'd consider any Mk1.5 Leaf Acenta (SV) much below about £10k to be suspiciously cheap.
    And anything under £12k is cheap for a Tekna (SVE).

The UK market is starting to wake up to the 2nd hand Leaf value proposition and prices are going up. There are only 29 cars on autotrader for the entire UK.
    Most of the ex-lease cars have been snapped up at this point.

Heck even the US is seeing appreciation in Leaf prices, cars for selling for $3-4k more than they were bought a few months ago.

I think the best value at the moment can be found in Ireland.

These look pretty good:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2014-141-nissan-leaf-acenta-gen-dublin-fpa-8475879860502266272

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2013-132-nissan-leaf-sve-high-sp-kildare-fpa-7255463462274191178

Either someone bought it or it was an erroneous listing - as it's no longer there. In the case of dealers on autotrader, some of them will post 'bargains' that are a mirage. Know someone who was shopping for a leaf a couple of months back - and was told ' oh, that car is out on loan for a few months'. However, here's our list of available Leafs.

I had that too.... click bait to get you on the phone and then they try to sell what they actually have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    I'd consider any Mk1.5 Leaf Acenta (SV) much below about £10k to be suspiciously cheap.
    And anything under £12k is cheap for a Tekna (SVE).

The UK market is starting to wake up to the 2nd hand Leaf value proposition and prices are going up. There are only 29 cars on autotrader for the entire UK.
    Most of the ex-lease cars have been snapped up at this point.

Heck even the US is seeing appreciation in Leaf prices, cars for selling for $3-4k more than they were bought a few months ago.

I think the best value at the moment can be found in Ireland.

These look pretty good:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2014-141-nissan-leaf-acenta-gen-dublin-fpa-8475879860502266272

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/used-2013-132-nissan-leaf-sve-high-sp-kildare-fpa-7255463462274191178

I agree and it's muck in the eye of those that predicted the horror of EV depreciation.

I definitely bought at a good time so. Got my 2014 Tekna with under 30k miles...chrome pack and in my preferred colour for under £11k when the exchange rate was 1.14 to the pound in March.

There are still a few deals around though.

Just to update we are now proud ev owners! Managed to pick up a 14 at the wilsons auction last night for €9,200. 30k on the clock sv finish. Drove it home 80km with a stop for a charge as there was only 45km left when we left. It's a 3.3 but just really glad to get it within budget. So far so good, need to get moving today on getting home charger organised. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.

Just to update we are now proud ev owners! Managed to pick up a 14 at the wilsons auction last night for €9,200. 30k on the clock sv finish. Drove it home 80km with a stop for a charge as there was only 45km left when we left. It's a 3.3 but just really glad to get it within budget. So far so good, need to get moving today on getting home charger organised. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.

Well done. That sounds like an excellent price on irish standards. Did it come with granny cable or Type1/Type2 cable?

As regards a home charge point, consider picking one up 2nd hand. They're wildly expensive new.

Marpad, excellent deal if that included all the charges etc. etc. Are Leafs often seen at Wilsons? Which cables came with it?

Hi Folks, the week before the Wilsons auction had around 3-4 leafs and I was told on the phone they hadn't sold. We just didn't have all funds in place and hadn't sold our old car at that stage. The one last night was announced as being "on the market" at €8K. It is risky as you have no guarantees but given that it is still under manufacturers warranty we decided to go for it. I gave it a good check over but what would I know! It was being sold by the finance company. The auction was completely nerve wracking. €9,200 was as much as we were prepared to pay for it and we actually thought another bidder had gotten it but it turns out it was us, very confusing if you are not used to it. It was lot 136 and well after 9pm by the time it came up so we had watched the other lots going up and thought we had our head around it. My husband also thinks he may have accidentally tried to bid against himself at one stage! Thankfully the auctioneer seemed to have some ethics. No granny cable but regular charging cable included and charged no problem last night. I drove our other car home but my husband brought the leaf. We don't have a card yet so he phoned the helpline on the side of the charging station and they were able to remotely turn it on. Looking into charger now, might buy one on amazon. My husband commutes on the train so we can plug into the train station during the day while he is in Dublin for the time being. Feel like I have lots of research to do. Do people think it is worth investing in a granny cable? Only time we might use it is when my husband (rarely) drives to work in Dublin instead of getting the train, there isn't a charger at his place of work, although he could just take our other car and I could use the leaf that day....

Opinions vary on this but I have had no compulsion to buy a granny cable - given the expense of them. Aside from the fact they're slow as christmas to charge from, will you ever really need it? You can be unlucky but if you plan longer range journeys then running out of charge should probably never happen. For journeys you become accustomed to - you will know exactly what is achievable in the Leaf very quickly.

If you ever do run out, you can get a flatbed out under warranty - and no charge. This is also possible with some insurance policies eg. Zurich.

A spare wheel/tyre might be a much more worthy investment. Have you checked it to see if it's got the tyre repair kit? Mine didn't -but then I'd never be happy using that bottle of gunk anyway. I picked up a Lancer spare - from a scrapper - with jack and wheel brace - that I've left in the back of the car. If you're doing urban driving, then may not be such a big deal. Within 1 month of owning the car, I had 2x punctures! (albeit nothing since).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My husband commutes on the train so we can plug into the train station during the day while he is in Dublin for the time being.

I know there are differing opinions on this, but I personally don't think it's fair to take up a charger, even a slow one, for a full day.

Some say that it's expected at train stations and park'n'rides etc but it shouldn't be IMO.

Just to update we are now proud ev owners! Managed to pick up a 14 at the wilsons auction last night for €9,200. 30k on the clock sv finish. Drove it home 80km with a stop for a charge as there was only 45km left when we left. It's a 3.3 but just really glad to get it within budget.

Well done. I'd say its a much safer bet to buy an EV at an auction than a petrol/diesel car. So much more could be wrong with the diesel car and once you had some manufacturers warranty left you have nothing to worry about at that price.

So far so good, need to get moving today on getting home charger organised. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.

Some links to the parts you will need for the home charger.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100542211&postcount=3

Well wear!

On some of the public chargers any rfid card will work. As in a Leap card, bank card, phone with android pay, etc. you can try that for the moment, saves you from having to ring them every time. Also request 2 cards from esb ecars, should be with you in a week or so

As for the granny cable - it's a disgrace it doesn't come as standard on a Leaf. If you take the car out on holidays to a rented home or something like that it can be helpful or if you get stuck somewhere. It's a bit slower than normal charging but not much and it can be a saver if you're stuck! Should be able to pick one up for not an awful lot more than €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Very well done. Congratulations and wear well.

I hear you and I agree, I would be totally against blocking a charger continuosly that someone else might need and we aren't those kind of people but in fairness neither of us have ever seen the chargers at our local station being used and my husband has been commuting for 10 years. There are two of them and the other one is still free right now. I don't think any other commuters have an electric car and it is short term, hopefully we'll have our home charger in place very soon.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know there are differing opinions on this, but I personally don't think it's fair to take up a charger, even a slow one, for a full day.

Some say that it's expected at train stations and park'n'rides etc but it shouldn't be IMO.

Thanks for the tip! my husband has a leaf card, I'll get him to try it....
    Well wear!

On some of the public chargers any rfid card will work. As in a Leap card, bank card, phone with android pay, etc. you can try that for the moment, saves you from having to ring them every time. Also request 2 cards from esb ecars, should be with you in a week or so

As for the granny cable - it's a disgrace it doesn't come as standard on a Leaf. If you take the car out on holidays to a rented home or something like that it can be helpful or if you get stuck somewhere. It's a bit slower than normal charging but not much and it can be a saver if you're stuck! Should be able to pick one up for not an awful lot more than €100

• Advertisement

my husband has a leaf card

Freudian slip? :p

Freudian slip? :p
    HAHA for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

DrPhilG wrote: »

What's the point in putting SCPs at train stations if they're not for commuters? I think the ESB or local authorities should be clearer on their intended use though, i.e. put up signage that makes sense.

Well wear!

I agree that the granny should be standard but I haven't seen one that cheap ever!

Expect to pay 200ish on adverts/donedeal/eBay etc

Try Phil in ElectricAutos.ie (085 - 7855916). He got me a cable cheaper than I could source from anywhere. Good company to deal with and you would support a local business, who in turn will give you their support)

• Advertisement

Quick google shows that it looks like it will be a lot more like €200 or more rather than €100 for the Leaf (type 1) granny cable, you're right kceire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hi Folks, the week before the Wilsons auction had around 3-4 leafs and I was told on the phone they hadn't sold. We just didn't have all funds in place and hadn't sold our old car at that stage. The one last night was announced as being "on the market" at €8K. It is risky as you have no guarantees but given that it is still under manufacturers warranty we decided to go for it. I gave it a good check over but what would I know! It was being sold by the finance company. The auction was completely nerve wracking. €9,200 was as much as we were prepared to pay for it and we actually thought another bidder had gotten it but it turns out it was us, very confusing if you are not used to it. It was lot 136 and well after 9pm by the time it came up so we had watched the other lots going up and thought we had our head around it. My husband also thinks he may have accidentally tried to bid against himself at one stage! Thankfully the auctioneer seemed to have some ethics. No granny cable but regular charging cable included and charged no problem last night. I drove our other car home but my husband brought the leaf. We don't have a card yet so he phoned the helpline on the side of the charging station and they were able to remotely turn it on. Looking into charger now, might buy one on amazon. My husband commutes on the train so we can plug into the train station during the day while he is in Dublin for the time being. Feel like I have lots of research to do. Do people think it is worth investing in a granny cable? Only time we might use it is when my husband (rarely) drives to work in Dublin instead of getting the train, there isn't a charger at his place of work, although he could just take our other car and I could use the leaf that day....

What Train Station? Some have different rules, it's very annoying.

Some state maximum stay or can only be used while charging which is ridiculous if you're expected to come back during the day, unplug and park again.
    Others can be left all day and have free parking also.

Also does he actually need a charge to make it there and back to home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

stesaurus wrote: »
    OP stated: " I don't think any other commuters have an electric car and it is short term, hopefully we'll have our home charger in place very soon."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

OP stated: " I don't think any other commuters have an electric car and it is short term, hopefully we'll have our home charger in place very soon."

What's your point? That doesn't answer my question.

Normally he won't need to charge at the train station, it was pretty much out of battery when he got home last night. We only live around 3km from train station so it won't be an issue once we get the home charger, hope to have it by the end of the week.
    stesaurus wrote: »
    What Train Station? Some have different rules, it's very annoying.

Some state maximum stay or can only be used while charging which is ridiculous if you're expected to come back during the day, unplug and park again.
    Others can be left all day and have free parking also.

Thanks Unkel, got sorted wtih Phil, he is posting today, got his last one too, my electrician says he will give it a go so hopefully will have home charger all set by the end of the week
    Try Phil in ElectricAutos.ie (085 - 7855916). He got me a cable cheaper than I could source from anywhere. Good company to deal with and you would support a local business, who in turn will give you their support)

Thanks Unkel, got sorted wtih Phil, he is posting today, got his last one too, my electrician says he will give it a go so hopefully will have home charger all set by the end of the week

What did you get?
    You should put in 32A to future proof it even though your car is only capable of 16A.

He only had 16A available. It is cheaper than 32A and could do withe the saving right now so will just have to look at changing when changing car whcih hopefully won't be for a few years!
    KCross wrote: »
    What did you get?
    You should put in 32A to future proof it even though your car is only capable of 16A.

He only had 16A available. It is cheaper than 32A and could do withe the saving right now so will just have to look at changing when changing car whcih hopefully won't be for a few years!

There shouldn't be much, if any, difference in price between the two but if thats all he had I suppose you have to roll with it.

On the wiring side, ensure the electrician puts in 6sqmm cable. That way if you decide to upgrade later you don't have to go pulling new wires.

Thanks for the tip
    KCross wrote: »
    There shouldn't be much, if any, difference in price between the two but if thats all he had I suppose you have to roll with it.

On the wiring side, ensure the electrician puts in 6sqmm cable. That way if you decide to upgrade later you don't have to go pulling new wires.

• Advertisement
Advertisement