Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boys names ?

Options
  • 08-05-2017 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Just wondering what baby boy names you guys like,
    We have settled on Sophia (for the moment) if its a girl but for a boy we really have no idea I never thought it would be this hard to pick one,
    So any idea's or even just names you like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not being smart but if you want a sense of what names are popular, check out the CSO - these are the names that people like right now.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2015/

Pick one, any one, of the top 20 ......and its one of the names that "people like at the moment".

There is no name that will descend on you and be the perfect name. Its more a sense of picking something that you are comfortable with, doesn't inflict humiliation on the kid, and then you get used to it.

I would add - if you want to pick something that is nice but unusual (as many people do) then try going against the grain by pick a nice name that's gone out of fashion.

This would be in Irish the likes of Dermot, Fergal, Fergus, Niall, Brendan, Seamus.

In English, Martin, Stephen, Andrew, Gerard, Gareth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Is there an older family member that means a lot to you?
    I think its a pity that the tradition of being named after a grandfather or uncle is fading away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Not being smart but if you want a sense of what names are popular, check out the CSO - these are the names that people like right now.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2015/

Pick one, any one, of the top 20 ......and its one of the names that "people like at the moment".

There is no name that will descend on you and be the perfect name.  Its more a sense of picking something that you are comfortable with, doesn't inflict humiliation on the kid, and then you get used to it.
    Ye I suppose after 6 months you can't imagine the child with a different name if you get what I mean ,

One super cool name (I thought) that I came across is Wolfie; short for Wolfgang.

Mother was German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

If the child's likely to be swarthy, how about 'Dubhaltach'?

My 'boys names list' contained 'Lucifer' & 'Senan'. I rather like 'Osiris', too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

I know someone that called their son Cassius...

I tried not to laugh ( I know, none of my business) but WTF....

4Ad wrote: »
    I know someone that called their son Cassius...

I tried not to laugh ( I know, none of my business) but WTF....

Classical Roman name? Not for me, but I kind of like it. I've known a Brutus which would be along similar lines. I'd draw the line at calling my son 'Caesar' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Why are these threads called 'baby names'? It's not like they get a new name after a few years. Pick a name that you like but also one they won't hate when they're a teenager / adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I like names with one syllable like Sam, Ben, Kit, Sal etc. They just seem to match any type of name.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is a Samson in my circle

laughed my head off at that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Funny my dh loved the name Sophia and while I didnt mind it too much I gave all my kids with Irish names. My daughter did get Sophia as her second name and she loves it, often uses it as her internet name etc or calls herself by her two names. My boys are hardly aware of their second name. Any other Sophia/ Sofias in her school are of East European heritage though. Patryk is very popular for boys with Polish links.

Looking back I think a strong one syllable name works best for boys, Tom, Ben, Dan, Joe, Sam, Jack, Sean etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My wee boy is called Liam. It took us forever to settle on names. We eventually got a girls name, but couldn't think of anything for a boy so he was Baby No Name on his first day on earth! Liam wasn't even on a shortlist... I just thought he looked like a Liam and suggested it to my husband and he agreed. And I love his name now!

I think it's funny that both 'Liam' and 'William' are in the top 10 lists for boys in the USA at the minute :)

beans wrote: »
    I think it's funny that both 'Liam' and 'William' are in the top 10 lists for boys in the USA at the minute :)

Sure even most British don't know it's the same name!
    Was surprised to see it at no. 2 in America. Thinks it's around no. 20 here in Ireland.

Liam Neeson responsible for that, I'd reckon.

Apparently it's due to One Direction's Liam Payne!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

We had settled 100% on Oscar if our baby was a boy, which he was.

We were told prior that a name will come natural and what you've picked might not work. I dismissed this, sure a names only a name.

So Oscar it was...cue 3 days in and my OH in tears about making a mistake with his name. Never felt right and I had to agree. It just didn't work. After 6 months of being so sure oscar was the one we were left with nothing.

So after an off the cuff suggestion by a family member he's Sam now and it's perfect.

My advice would be to have your 3 favourites picked for a girl and a boy and see what fits when your holding the little bundle of joy. You'll know what's right at the time. Sorry for the long post.

Best of luck & enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Had Marcus Cole lined up, but it didn't happen :-(

If "Marcus" had been a girl then Robyn Sophia, but we already had Eva Marie.

Off to check in on my Eva now and remember the possibilities that weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lolococo

We picked Tom Francis after both grandfathers and I'm delighted we did.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There is no name that will descend on you and be the perfect name.

That's exactly how our children were named. We had ideas of names before they were born but once they were born none of them sat right on them. So none of our children had names for a few days (one baby was 10 days before his perfect name descended!)

I know people who found out the sex, picked a name, decorated the room, complete with name plaque and have always been happy with their choice. Then I know others who waited until the baby arrived and a name eventually stuck.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're ever looking for a laugh, go on some of the American sites and have a look at the top 100 or so boys and girls names. We were looking through one the other night and my husband was caught between hysterics and outrage at half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

We are having a baby boy in September and are really struggling with names.. We found it much easier picking girls names. Maybe we are too fussy and overthinking them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Babies_names_2016.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

One super cool name (I thought) that I came across is Wolfie; short for Wolfgang.

Mother was German.

Felix is another one... I've heard of a few auld fellas around Dublin with that name so it might do the rounds again.

A kid in my child's school is called Cooper... I never met the kid but it goes well with his surname.

Geuze wrote: »
    Babies_names_2016.png

Is it me or is the 'highest climber' infographic backarseways?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

No it climbed from 119th most popular to 83rd most popular so the graphic is correct.

ciaradx wrote: »
    No it climbed from 119th most popular to 83rd most popular so the graphic is correct.

Ah yes sorry I thought it was the amount of names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Hyphy

Whatever you pick, you have to do the name tests. We do the "mad mum" test- ie can you yell this name easily if you are absolutely about to blow your top? Tongue twister names make mad mum sound like a lunitic (even more so at least!) haha.

Also the initial test. We liked a few names when we named our little girl that spelled awkard things. After all you don't want to be the kid that's named Arthur Samuel Smyth when you are 12.

Have a few options in mind as well, its aweful to get totally hooked on a name then take one look at the little and realize hes definately not suited for it.

We wrote down names we liked and checked in occasionally before our 20 week scan. I've known what girls name I wanted for ages, and my husband loved it too, but boys names we couldn't come together on at all! Thank goodness she was a girl!

Good luck!

Advertisement