Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boys names ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've heard 2 boys recently called Cuilann (as in Cú Chulainn) both have spelt it differently but I like it. We had Cian, Sam, Luke on our boys lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do a quick review of family pets as well... I know two couples who inadvertently named their baby after dogs they had when they were children. They have an attachment to the name, and couldn't quite remember why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh yeah, I have a friend whose best friend bought a dog after my friend's first baby was born. And called the dog the same name as the baby. That went down real well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

pwurple wrote: »
    Do a quick review of family pets as well... I know two couples who inadvertently named their baby after dogs they had when they were children. They have an attachment to the name, and couldn't quite remember why.

I mind dogs so lots of boys names coincided with various dogs I knew. My favourite name was also given to a few dogs! As it happened my husbands cousins baby arrived 6 weeks before ours and took the name anyway which left us in a bit of a limbo around boys names. We had a girl and our girls list was longer and far easier to decide on a name once she arrived.

I actually went back and looked at relatives in the 1911 census for name inspiration. If we had a boy, he may well have been Theo after a great uncle Theophilus.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

pc7 wrote: »
    I've heard 2 boys recently called Cuilann (as in Cú Chulainn) both have spelt it differently but I like it.

It bothers me that Cuilann doesn't follow the "Caol le caol, leathan le leathan" rule. :o

I really like a couple of the newer girls names on the CSO graph above. Matilda and Indigo are both lovely. I quite like Aria too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have my boys name picked already, however, since recently seeing Chulainn (here) I think I'm changing my mind :o I really like Chulainn, it's a very strong masculine name imo.

xzanti wrote: »
    I have my boys name picked already, however, since recently seeing Chulainn (here) I think I'm changing my mind :o I really like Chulainn, it's a very strong masculine name imo.

Not spelled like that though, please! The H has no business being there, for a start.

Not spelled like that though, please! The H has no business being there, for a start.

Sorry that was probably a bit shorter/harsher than I meant it! :o Was on my phone.

I'm not 100% sure of the correct spelling, but my understanding is that the H and the I are only in Chulainn because of the "Cú" being before it. So if it's Culann on it's own (as opposed to Cú Chulainn) I would think Culann is the more correct spelling, though I'm totally open to correction on that. Chulainn definitely doesn't look right though.

Personally while I love Irish names, I'd be more inclined to just go for Cullen rather than Culann (assuming Cullen is the pronunciation you're going for.) I think a lot of people would pronounce Culann like Cool-Ann, emphasis on second syllable, it's one that you (and he) would be endlessly correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had a conversation with a teacher last week about how some children you deal with will put you off names for life. I coach soccer so I mainly deal with boys and Luke, Aaron, Donnacha, Craig and Oisin are all off my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

I have a gr? for Irish Names:

Oran
    R?an
    Rua
    Cillian
    Daire
    Finn
    Riley
    Caolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I could name a hundred boys but no girls. We find out the gender in a month! We liked Indigo (Indi) for a while but apparently there's an Indigo on Home and Away so that's done! We like quirky names that are uncommon. I am not into fluffy girly names at all so am struggling to like any I hear. My husband loves Middle Eastern names but they all sound wrong with his surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

John Mason wrote: »
    there is a Samson in my circle

laughed my head off at that one

They're is in mine too, but he's a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I could name a hundred boys but no girls. We find out the gender in a month! We liked Indigo (Indi) for a while but apparently there's an Indigo on Home and Away so that's done! We like quirky names that are uncommon. I am not into fluffy girly names at all so am struggling to like any I hear. My husband loves Middle Eastern names but they all sound wrong with his surname.

I wouldn't worry about H&A it's not like everyone watches it. I don't know anyone who does. It's a great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Sophia? Sophie? wow, talk about unoriginal

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ION08 wrote: »
    Sophia? Sophie? wow, talk about unoriginal

Mod:

Cut out the personal digs at other posters, please.

What about Imogen maybe. I've always thought that to be a beautiful name. Or Iris. Also I wouldn't let the H&A thing put you off Indigo, it's just lovely!

Or for a different slant ... what about Violet? Another beautiful one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What about Imogen maybe. I've always thought that to be a beautiful name. Or Iris. Also I wouldn't let the H&A thing put you off Indigo, it's just lovely!

Or for a different slant ... what about Violet? Another beautiful one.

I'd Imogen on our girls list until husband said it sounded like Imodium or some sort of medicine and ruined it. Also people would shorten it to Jen which would annoy me.

Advertisement