Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question about intermittent fasting

• 08-05-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I'm doing intermittent fasting for a while now but I'm curious about the fasting period . I usually begin a fast at 9pk and don't eat till 1pm the next day.

In the fasting period is it ok to take supplements that have very low calories? For instance I take bcaaa which contains 12 calories. Does taking this break my fast? Like wise a berroca tablet contains about 8 calories. Does taking these really break a fast?

I ask cause I used to like taking my vits in the morning for convenience but keep forgetting to take them in the post fasting period.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Woops may of meant to post this in the nutrition fourm. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It doesn't really matter. IF largely works because you make the window for eating smaller so that you're likely to consume less. Having a berocca in your fast period won't really make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

It doesn't really matter. IF largely works because you make the window for eating smaller so that you're likely to consume less. Having a berocca in your fast period won't really make a difference

Does it not burn your fat stores instead of using calories or is that a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

deadybai wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that IM is a gimmick for restricting calories. There's nothing magical about it, but if you restrict eating to 8 hours of every 24 (for example) then you're probably just going to end up eating less overall.

Any potential impact outside of calorie control is negligible.

• Advertisement

I think 5:2 is supposed to improve other markers like cholesterol etc? I don't know about 16:8 though

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think 5:2 is supposed to improve other markers like cholesterol etc? I don't know about 16:8 though

IIRC the OP is cutting so I'm just talking about benefits re weight loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'll be burning glycogen and fat stores until lunchtime.
    If you have some BCAAs or Berocca, you'll burn those also. But once the 10cals run out, you have to go back to stores. There is no other energy source.

FWIW, the Leangains IF protocol was to take BCAAs during the fast, if you were training that morning

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Like others have said while that can technically break the fast its largely irrelevant. The "metabolic advantage" to fasting is negligible.

The reason is works is it give you a decent framework to control calories and appetite.

I wouldn't worry about BCAA / supplements / a drop if milk in tea breaking the fast

Advertisement