Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClareHall Avenue Pedestrians

Options
  • 08-05-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

A flyer came round the other day to claim that €300,000 was allocated by DCC for a pedestrian crossing at this location and the amount was to be matched by the road authority.

€600,000 for a pedestrian crossing?

I would do a 5 hour shift there each schoolday for €60,000 a year and they'd have no maintenance issues - except perhaps a new lollipop every other year.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What happens outside of the 5 hours and after around 7 years? (Taking into account inflation, employers cost etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

What happens outside of the 5 hours and after around 7 years? (Taking into account inflation, employers cost etc.)

This facility is supposedly for schoolkids. Five hours a day is generous don't you think?

The point is how can traffic signals cost the price of a house in Dublin 4?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This facility is supposedly for schoolkids. Five hours a day is generous don't you think?

The point is how can traffic signals cost the price of a house in Dublin 4?:eek:

It can benefit other outside of those hours so it tends to get my back up straight away when the only consideration people have is kids. Anyway that aside 600K sounds pretty high to me but then I'm not a construction expert and these thing always cost way more than people expect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

On phone here and can't find Clarehall Ave. on maps. Can someone enlighten me to the exact spot for the lights?

https://www.maps-streetview.com/Ireland/Dublin/streets.php?street=Clare+Hall+Avenue

the location is close to Donaghmede Roundabout we hear. Not prime real estate I'd say and I live nearby:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah r139. So lights at Clarehall side of roundabout? To match the Donaghmede side and Baldoyle side of roundabout? 600k! I wonder are they thinking of pedestrian bridge for that price?

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah r139. So lights at Clarehall side of roundabout? To match the Donaghmede side and Baldoyle side of roundabout? 600k! I wonder are they thinking of pedestrian bridge for that price?

They wouldn't use it! I don't remember it being mentioned anyhow!

And it may be the R139 but the signs say Clarehall Avenue - much more romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

600k for a set of traffic lights??????? The local council are really making sh*te of the roads around Donaghmede and D.13

It's like there just looking for an excuse to spend what ever budget they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

great.... more flippin traffic lights just off the roundabout.. off course its 600k, it goes out to tender and the lads submitting the tenders just see the euro signs and inflate the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Googling the question, it does seem that traffic lights are ridiculously expensive.

Here's one Irish example though where a junction was redesigned and lights installed for 175k in 2011. That's the cheapest I saw on the first page of results.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/taxpayers-face-230k-traffic-lights-fiasco-bill-171930.html

OP, does your flyer say there will be one crossing or two? The following link says two, one of which is at a junction, but even so €600k seems expensive

http://www.tommybroughan.com/mcdowell-and-broughan-welcome-prospect-of-new-pedestrian-crossings-for-clare-hall-avenue/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

That roundabout suffers horrific congestion, largely thanks to the traffic lights off the Baldoyle and the Donaghmede routes. Particularly bad is the Baldoyle side, because it's compounded by larger volumes of traffic heading to the Industrial Estate and the pedestrian lights (and lollipop man/woman) 70 metres away.

Let's not forget the significant numbers of new housing stock going up around the area, which will add to the tailbacks already stretching to the Father Collins Park. I have no doubt that they will want light at that side of the roundabout as well.

goz83 wrote: »
    That roundabout suffers horrific congestion, largely thanks to the traffic lights off the Baldoyle and the Donaghmede routes. Particularly bad is the Baldoyle side, because it's compounded by larger volumes of traffic heading to the Industrial Estate and the pedestrian lights (and lollipop man/woman) 70 metres away.

Let's not forget the significant numbers of new housing stock going up around the area, which will add to the tailbacks already stretching to the Father Collins Park. I have no doubt that they will want light at that side of the roundabout as well.

No doubt it'll go the way of the Artane roundabout with traffic lights on all sides.

Was just wondering if they could not just set up a Zebra crossing with lights like they have in Howth. Usually with the lights coming up to the roundabout people get across in about 5 seconds and you're just left sitting there waiting for them to turn green.

It's even worse if you're stuck on the roundabout heading towards the shopping centre because the traffic heading up from Baldoyle will usually try and force its way around to the exit even though you clearly have right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

on the baldoyle side of the roundabout they stuck in the lights just off the roundabout coz people were to bone ass lazy to walk a few meters down to the set of lights that were already there. i duno why they didnt just put a a long barrier around the corners there and force people to use the lights that already existed. traveling out from baldoyle in the mornings donaghmede is a nightmare at the roundabout and in the last while now the traffic going through clare hall is getting alot heavier and backing up past the roundabout in clare hall nearly to donaghmeade at times

neris wrote: »
    on the baldoyle side of the roundabout they stuck in the lights just off the roundabout coz people were to bone ass lazy to walk a few meters down to the set of lights that were already there. i duno why they didnt just put a a long barrier around the corners there and force people to use the lights that already existed. traveling out from baldoyle in the mornings donaghmede is a nightmare at the roundabout and in the last while now the traffic going through clare hall is getting alot heavier and backing up past the roundabout in clare hall nearly to donaghmeade at times

Yup, and thats in part caused by the traffic lights at the Clare Hall roundabout, again I think Zebra crossings (with flashing lights) would be a lot simpler and quicker for traffic that would't be stuck waiting as one person hits the lights to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

?600,000 for a pedestrian crossing?

I would do a 5 hour shift there each schoolday for ?60,000 a year and they'd have no maintenance issues - except perhaps a new lollipop every other year.:mad:
    They would probably put you on in addition to the lights. On the N11 there were lollipop ladies at pedestrian lights near cornelscourt. I think 2 at one stage, on a part where I rarely saw kids and I consider it a pretty safe spot. When I did see young kids who really needed supervising they were invariably with their parents -presumably as there is no guarantee the lollipops would be there.

I think they felt the need to appear useful and would walk over red faced suited middle aged business men too. Older kids looked pretty embarrassed too.

Advertisement