Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

kellso81 wrote: »
    I try to dispense in original boxes as much as possible, whether that's a 30 box or a 28 box without any additions or removals. Studies have shown that it's much safer. A pharmacy can be dispensing 100s of boxes of medication everyday, if you're cutting tablets from other boxes and adding them, it doubles the amount of checks you have to do, because you have to check the original box and the box you're cutting from. It also leaves lots of cut up strips of tablets that are much more difficult to check next time you're cutting more off them. It's just a much safer and much more efficient way of doing things, and is the norm in most countries in the developed world for safety reasons. On the issue of charging, if they're dispensing 28 then they get paid for 28 from the HSE whether it's 30 on the prescription or not, so they're not trying to scam a few extra quid either. As other people have said, if you have an issue with this and want 30, just ask your pharmacist, it should be no problem. You might just have to wait a little bit longer for it to be ready

But do you not see the issue with dispensing 28 in terms of the 144 euro payment? It means 13 payments a year rather than 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pilly wrote: »
    But do you not see the issue with dispensing 28 in terms of the 144 euro payment? It means 13 payments a year rather than 12.

Except it doesn't. The 144 is a calendar month limit.

The calendar month in which you get two dispensings counts towards the same 144.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,406 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »
    Except it doesn't. The 144 is a calendar month limit.

The calendar month in which you get two dispensings counts towards the same 144.

I hope you have better luck with that post than i did when i posted the same info earlier in the thread.

I hope you have better luck with that post than i did when i posted the same info earlier in the thread.

There's absolutely no need for sarcasm. My father's experience was that he was told that he couldn't get 2 dispensed without paying the 144 again and that's not a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's absolutely no need for sarcasm. My father's experience was that he was told that he couldn't get 2 dispensed without paying the 144 again and that's not a lie.

Complain to the PCRS about the pharmacist, then. The pharmacist is categorically wrong. As you have been told, repeatedly, by people including pharmacists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

My father's experience was that he was told that he couldn't get 2 dispensed without paying the 144 again and that's not a lie.

Within the calendar year, you can get 13 dispensing for the price of 12 if you get your tablets dispensed in 28 day intervals. If you get them in 30 or 31 day intervals the HSE don't allow for the 13th dispensing and you'll be charged €144 each time.

If people want 30 days supply at a time, I generally dispense an extra 5 day supply at some stage in the year to cover the extra days and charge accordingly. It really is a mess of a system, with so any holes in it and so much unneeded bureaucracy, but that's the HSE for you.

If your father gets 28 days dispensed at a time, and he was charged 13 times in a calendar year then he was overcharged and I would put in a complaint to the pharmacy and ask for my €144 back.

kellso81 wrote: »
    Within the calendar year, you can get 13 dispensing for the price of 12 if you get your tablets dispensed in 28 day intervals. If you get them in 30 or 31 day intervals the HSE don't allow for the 13th dispensing and you'll be charged €144 each time.

If people want 30 days supply at a time, I generally dispense an extra 5 day supply at some stage in the year to cover the extra days and charge accordingly. It really is a mess of a system, with so any holes in it and so much unneeded bureaucracy, but that's the HSE for you.

If your father gets 28 days dispensed at a time, and he was charged 13 times in a calendar year then he was overcharged and I would put in a complaint to the pharmacy and ask for my €144 back.

Thank you. At least your answer was constructive and polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I always gave people an extra week's worth in December, so they wouldn't be coming in to me hassling me over Christmas and New Year.

Man, I was NOT suited to that profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement