Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 5 SE Three unlock?

Options
  • 08-05-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

Can the Iphone 5SE be unlocked from the Three network so I can use a different sim in it?

I've rang different phone shops and im getting mixed messages.

Just love a definite answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Headshot wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

Can the Iphone 5SE be unlocked from the Three network so I can use a different sim in it?

I've rang different phone shops and im getting mixed messages.

Just love a definite answer
    Simple answer, depends on whether ready to go or bill pay.
    Ready to go I think you had to spend €180 on it before they unlocked it, for bill contract has to be completed

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Blazer wrote: »
    Simple answer, depends on whether ready to go or bill pay.
    Ready to go I think you had to spend ?180 on it before they unlocked it, for bill contract has to be completed

It's bill pay and was an upgrade

But surely a phone shop can unlock it no? I find that very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Headshot wrote: »
    It's bill pay and was an upgrade

But surely a phone shop can unlock it no? I find that very strange.

Nope, only apple can unlock it, three send off a unlock request to apple who will unlock it and the phone is then connected to iTunes and pick up the unlock from apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AFAIK a request for an unlock can be done after 6 months of your contract have completed. Once the network ask for it then it comes through from Apple fairly quickly, within a week or so.

Also, on a pedantic point, just for your own info if you ever try to sell it, the phone is an iPhone SE and not SE5.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

For some reason the unlockers don't seem to have an inside track with 3, and iPhones can't (or at least couldn't) be unlocked. I think 3 will only unlock when the contract is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whiterebel wrote: »
    For some reason the unlockers don't seem to have an inside track with 3, and iPhones can't (or at least couldn't) be unlocked. I think 3 will only unlock when the contract is completed.

Ok, that gives me another reason never to join 3 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

3 only unlock when the contract is completed. I asked them about it when I was 3 months away from finishing the contract, as I was due for an early upgrade and wanted to be able to sell an unlocked phone. The line I got from Three was "if you want the phone unlocked 3 months before the contract ends, you have to pay us in advance for those 3 months". Essentially I would have had to buy-out the rest of my contract if I wanted the phone unlocked ahead of time.

Advertisement