Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking your child's mobile phone!

Options
  • 08-05-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Does anyone have any advice on the best app for tracking an android phone? Have given my son a bit more independence in relation to heading off with his friends & he has an android phone & have been advised that there's apps available to keep an eye on his location!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

cc1234 wrote: »
    Have given my son a bit more independence in relation to heading off with his friends & he has an android phone & have been advised that there's apps available to keep an eye on his location!!!
    really? you want to track your child?

anyway. trust issues aside
    followmee is a GPS tracker that works pretty well
    find my iphone is always a plus as well.
    but if your kid has half a brain they will figure it out and either hate you or figure out how to disable it.
    most kids these days are more tech savvy than their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

It's an Android phone so I doubt 'find my iphone' is an option. Agreed that any half smart kid will know their phone is being tracked.

Not sure I see the point of granting a kid more independence but then tracking them at the same time. It's a mixed message for sure.

SteM wrote: »
    It's an Android phone so I doubt 'find my iphone' is an option. Agreed that any half smart kid will know their phone is being tracked.

Not sure I see the point of granting a kid more independence but then tracking them at the same time. It's a mixed message for sure.
    sorry i clearly skimmed my bad... android does have a find my phone app though but obvs its not called find my iphone its in the device manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't see any mixed message TBH.
    You tell the child that with their newly granted 'independence' comes the tracker so the parent will worry less and be more relaxed about letting the child have the freedom they crave.

If that is not acceptable to the child, or they interfere with its operation, or leave the phone somewhere while they go elsewhere, then freedom can be curtailed again.

It seems a very responsible parental thing to do and there should be no problem with the child accepting it if they are ready to take responsibility for their 'freedom'.

I don't see any mixed message TBH.
    You tell the child that with their newly granted 'independence' comes the tracker so the parent will worry less and be more relaxed about letting the child have the freedom they crave.

If that is not acceptable to the child, or they interfere with its operation, or leave the phone somewhere while they go elsewhere, then freedom can be curtailed again.

It seems a very responsible parental thing to do and there should be no problem with the child accepting it if they are ready to take responsibility for their 'freedom'.

What you've said is not what the OP said. The OP just said they wanted to track a phone. They did not say they would have the conversation you've made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 cc1234

What you've said is not what the OP said. The OP just said they wanted to track a phone. They did not say they would have the conversation you've made up.

That's because I was simply asking for advice regarding the app so I didn't feel the need to post full details as I wasn't expecting such a judgemental response!!!!!

but if your kid has half a brain they will figure it out and either hate you or figure out how to disable it.

It's called being a responsible parent!!

Not a mixed message at all, it's called being a responsible parent!

It's called being a responsible parent!!
    its called being a helicopter parent

That's because I was simply asking for advice regarding the app so I didn't feel the need to post full details as I wasn't expecting such a judgemental response!!!!!

If you don't post details then how can you expect a correct response? Be clear what you want and people will be able to respond correctly. Not a big issue imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

On an android phone it's easy and you don't need any special apps.  Google maps lets you do this as a standard feature.  Go into maps and the menu and select Share Location.  It will share the location for a specific time or always to the people you select in the process.  Put the phones GPS onto power saving mode so it doesn't drain the battery and you can see roughly where the phone is.  It will require data though, although it does work if they're connected to WIFI but obviously not whilst they're out and about.

Advertisement