Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Rochestown Estuary

Options
  • 08-05-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi there everyone.

I went for a walk last night out by the Rochestown Estuary and was stunned at the number of fish I saw jumping (100s!). There was a lad fishing there and doing really well.

I'd never heard of nor seen fishermen or fisher ladies down there! Is this a spot? The tide was about 2-3 hours from being fully out. Would anybody know what fish they'd have been? I'm massively intrigued as a novice fisherman :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

mullet i'd say - possibly bass

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Mackerel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi there everyone.

I went for a walk last night out by the Rochestown Estuary and was stunned at the number of fish I saw jumping (100s!). There was a lad fishing there and doing really well.

I'd never heard of nor seen fishermen or fisher ladies down there! Is this a spot? The tide was about 2-3 hours from being fully out. Would anybody know what fish they'd have been? I'm massively intrigued as a novice fisherman :cool:

Where exactly is this location ?

My guess is mullet , not something you could eat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Barr wrote: »
    Where exactly is this location ?

My guess is mullet , not something you could eat.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Its mullet their rank give ya the trotts if you ate one of them considering what a mullets diet is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Definitely not mackerel.
    Could be mullet.
    Could be Bass.

I've heard of people catching bass there.

Mullet are perfectly fine to eat but hard to catch because of their soft mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Its mullet their rank give ya the trotts if you ate one of them considering what a mullets diet is

Couldn't have said it better myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

What do the fishermen along the wall between the ferry and monkstown be fishing for ?

I always thought the big shoals of fish that sometimes splash about there in their 100s was mackrel.
    But I honestly haven't a clue about fishing. :)

Why is it not mackerel.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tom44 wrote: »
    What do the fishermen along the wall between the ferry and monkstown be fishing for ?

I always thought the big shoals of fish that sometimes splash about there in their 100s was mackrel.

Why is it not mackerel.?

Probably are Mackerel, but not at this time of the year - Mackerel season is really July onwards. The fish out of Rochestown are likely to Mullet, but notoriously hard to catch and as has been said - I wouldn't eat the inshore/estuary ones due to their 'unfussy' diet. The ones you'd see on the fish counter are from deeper cleaner waters.

Also get Bass, sprats and flounder off of Rochestown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tom44 wrote: »

Why is it not mackerel.?

As far as I know Mackerel rarely come up that far and its too early in the season for them to even be in the harbour. They follow the sprat in to the harbour around July/August and when its warm and there are loads of sprat there would be loads of Mackerel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's mostly whiting they are picking up in Monkstown.
    There's usually mackerel there for a couple of weeks a year too.

Advertisement