Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids birthday party etiquette

Options
  • 08-05-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Show of hands...

Would you prefer a kids party (age 5) to be held on a Sunday of a bank hol or the Bank Hol Monday itself?

Doesn't matter if you are the party thrower or attendee?

Which day would you prefer a 5 year old's party on? 18 votes

Bank Holiday Sunday
    0%
    Bank Holiday Monday
    100%
    Mountjoy Muggermdwexfordmordeithwiz569BeardySiLollipops23All in allVanishingActschooeyKnineBoom__BoomMs2011Sherlof3Meath08kurtainsiderGalwayGirl26J.pilkingtonTayschren 18 votes

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Probably the Monday, as the Sunday is kinda breaking up the weekend if a family want to plan a trip away or stay over with family. Just for informational purposes I added a poll for you :)

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Honestly, I'd probably prefer the Saturday! That way giving you Sunday and Monday to do what you like yourselves.

Either way it doesn't really matter. Those who will go will go whatever day its on, and there will always be a few who can't go for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not on a bank holiday at all would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Not on a Bank holiday ideally but if needs be Monday afternoon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Friday after school or a Saturday morning if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Not on a bank holiday at all would be better.

Unfortunately his birthday nearly always falls on the bank holiday, as does mine in a different month.

Another way we're limited is my partner works most Friday and Saturday nights til late so that makes those days tricky.

I'll stick with the Monday and whoever can come will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Mink wrote: »
    Unfortunately his birthday nearly always falls on the bank holiday, as does mine in a different month.

Another way we're limited is my partner works most Friday and Saturday nights til late so that makes those days tricky.

Or just do it the weekend before or the weekend after. I've known people to do birthday parties up to a month either side of the actual birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yup.. week either side is fine.

Monday latest if Bank hol weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Bank Holiday Monday
    I imagine that the other parents would really prefer the birthday party to be the weekend before or after the bank holiday weekend. People (well me anyway) are very protective of their bank holiday weekends.

It makes no difference to the 5 year old when the part is. In fact you could sell it to the child as 2 birthdays!!! Presents from mam and dad on one weekend and the part on the next! Win Win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hmm, that's food for thought. He's not going to be too bothered either way. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Don't ruin other people's long weekend by making them drag their children to your child's birthday party.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mink wrote: »

My 1st childs birthday is the 1st of January,she gets a party half way through January:) it doesn't bother the kids if their party is a week before or after the birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have it whenever suits you best. If people don't want to go, they don't have to, and you'll never suit everyone. It only seems to go on for a couple of years anyhow, and then kids don't want any parties!

To be honest, sometimes I welcome a valid reason not to attend a child's birthday party. There's often just too many of them to be going to, and it gets very expensive, so being able to decline without guilt is refreshing!

Advertisement