Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New bangernomic for my mother

Options
  • 08-05-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

My Mother has been looking for a job for some time after been made redundant last year. She got accepted for a job but its not near where she lives. It would be 50km return trip each day.
    To get the bus its €51 return weekly and takes 50 min as it has multiple stops. That's 2652 a year
    I got thinking, would it be possible to get a car for the year and work out cheaper.

Was thinking like a micra or Yaris for less than €1k
    1.0l engine means €199 to tax, decent mpg hopefully cheap to insure but cant be sure.
    I did some math and its looking that way.

Car: €1000
    Tax: €199
    Insurance: ?? 500 maybe i dunno
    Costs: €150 a guesstimate
    Fuel: €1200 p/y roughly
    Also to add, if she sold the car after the year, could recoup half the value

Total: €3049 - value of car €500 = €2549

Not only will she have her own car, but less time traveling, can be called to work extra hrs ASAP so an advantage to have the car and also extra possibility for another job
    Any thoughts or my estimates way off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use www.chill.ie and more in this thread with a reg from a Micra you find on Donedeal to get an estimate for insurance.
    50k return trip each day
    How long is commute one way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Biko are you taking the piss if it's 50km return it's 25 one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

its about 25km each way

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, I thought you made a mistake with the 50k and maybe meant 50.000 or something :D
    So best check.

Anyway, you have my suggestion on how to find out insurance.

Do get her the car, it will add value for her in other ways too, nipping down to the shops and getting out at weekends etc

biko wrote: »
    Sound, I thought you made a mistake with the 50k and maybe meant 50.000 or something :D
    So best check.

Anyway, you have my suggestion on how to find out insurance.

Do get her the car, it will add value for her in other ways too, nipping down to the shops and getting out at weekends etc
    yea thats what i was thinking, and then its gonna be worth something at the end of the day, while a bus ticket is worthless once expired.
    Next would be type of car, i think the micra and yaris are probably the best options but not too sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭selectamatic

From my reading of this I take it your mother doesn't have a current Ncb?

If she doesn't insurance could be an eye opener especially on little reliable jap cars from the late 90's early noughties like; micra's, starlets, yaris' etc. Insurance companies just aren't fond of them.

well she has been named driver her whole life so im not sure what way that would work. id need to call around to see if any take her named driving exp. Can see why not but it is Ireland so i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You forgot to add any contingency for repairs or likely banger problems.

Would you consider something like a new Citroen c1 on pcp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

well she has been named driver her whole life so im not sure what way that would work. id need to call around to see if any take her named driving exp. Can see why not but it is Ireland so i dunno

Insurance companies like liberty insurance take into account named driving experience. Might knock a chunk off the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fuel would be around €2500

You forgot to add any contingency for repairs or likely banger problems.

Would you consider something like a new Citroen c1 on pcp?

no pcp is out of question, they only bought new car recently so a cheap one for now

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Fuel would be around €2500
    I got €1200 from AA Route planner, it said for a car doing 7l/km it would cost €2.56 one way so that's €25.6 weekly which is €102 monthly which is €1228 a year
    Obviously it wont be that exactly, but just that trip alone its a rough estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Insurance will be the decider, I think.
    Saw a 00 Corsa for sale in Cavan town on Saturday, sitting in the Argos carpark. Brand new NCT on display on 'screen.
    500 euro.

Now it wouldn't be my choicest of a runaround, but if she can get insurance, it shows what you can get for little money.

Advertisement