Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MARKING 2017

Options
  • 08-05-2017 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Does anyone know if applications for marking JC English are closed yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

The closing date has passed, and offers will have gone out, but they will usually take applications up until June, so that they have a reserve list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Forms are on examinations.ie. ignore the closing date and send one off ,you'll still be placed on the reserve list but chances are you could still get called up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

420 is a lot for a first timer. They must have less examiners than they used to have.

The general organisation - counting, numbering and getting the sample 20 from is best done the evening of the conference as soon as you get home. It will take a few hours, but at least it leaves you ready to start correcting the next day.

Your first 20 could take you the best part of a day. You speed up as you go along, get used to the question layout and the marking scheme. Filling in the mark sheets and writing your report take another couple of days off the end.

It's generally a steady seven to eight hours a day minimum.

All this doesn't allow for any re-jigging of the marking scheme which results in a recorrect at no extra pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

spurious wrote: »
    420 is a lot for a first timer. They must have less examiners than they used to have.

I was very surprised at the number. I thought it was around 200 scripts. The fee for 420 HL scripts in that subject is €17.58 per script x 420 = €7383.60. I'll be paying the higher rate of tax/prd/USC etc; would I expect to clear with €3500 for that month or so? Would it be possible to ask for and just get 200? (as I said, I'm only doing it for how the experience will help my teaching, and I would hope 200 scripts would be enough to give me a good idea.)
    The general organisation - counting, numbering and getting the sample 20 from is best done the evening of the conference as soon as you get home. It will take a few hours, but at least it leaves you ready to start correcting the next day.

Interesting. Is the conference broken up into each subject and level? Are the 20 sample papers given to you on the first day to correct that night, and do you go back the second day and somebody checks your corrections? (and are these 20 from your 420?) Generally speaking, is the checking of your corrections consistent, thorough and helpful - or the opposite?
    All this doesn't allow for any re-jigging of the marking scheme which results in a recorrect at no extra pay.

Why would the marking scheme be rejigged? Do they not just follow a set marking scheme? On average, would many of 420 scripts need rechecking? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I was very surprised at the number. I thought it was around 200 scripts. The fee for 420 HL scripts in that subject is €17.58 per script x 420 = €7383.60. I'll be paying the higher rate of tax/prd/USC etc; would I expect to clear with €3500 for that month or so? Would it be possible to ask for and just get 200? (as I said, I'm only doing it for how the experience will help my teaching, and I would hope 200 scripts would be enough to give me a good idea.)

Interesting. Is the conference broken up into each subject and level? Are the 20 sample papers given to you on the first day to correct that night, and do you go back the second day and somebody checks your corrections? (and are these 20 from your 420?) Generally speaking, is the checking of your corrections consistent, thorough and helpful - or the opposite?

Why would the marking scheme be rejigged? Do they not just follow a set marking scheme? On average, would many of 420 scripts need rechecking? Thanks.

As there is a confidentiality agreement with the SEC, I don't think they would appreciate the details being discussed here. I have sent you a PM answering your questions. Best of luck with the correcting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement