Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

touring wheels rs10

Options
  • 08-05-2017 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi my rear wheel on my touring bike gave up the ghost and I have to buy a new one. Shimano rs10 had been mentioned. I happen to have one. I am concerned about a 20 spoke wheel on a touring that has to carry panniers etc. I read it was a good strong wheel if heavy. However it's weight is irrelevant in this case. Has anyone used these wheels on a touring bike ? Or have an opinion.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wouldn't be going any less than a 32 spoke wheel touring myself, and I'd want something that can take a wide tyre.

Rose have A319 and A719 for decent prices and think Merlin might have some similar options

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

That's what I'd be thinking spoke wise ,but maybe I'm too old school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

moggie123 wrote: »
    That's what I'd be thinking spoke wise ,but maybe I'm too old school!

It depends on load but I'd be going with something like this
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-trekking-rear-wheel-28700-c-mavic-a-319shimano-deore-lx670/aid:716404

if you have 135mm dropouts.

You could get merlin/rose/ lbs to build you one to spec with a touring rim (like dt swiss tk540) and hub/spokes of choices.

The primary factor in making wheel strong and reliable is skill of wheelbuilder to get high and even spoke tension. A higher spoke count gives more generous tolerances

Advertisement