Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from iPhone to Android

• 08-05-2017 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi

Making the move from a company iPhone to a personal android and have a couple of questions to ask. As it is personal I don't plan on spending more than €250 on the phone.

I had an android some years ago and the key problem I had was simply that Apps were late/never turned up for my phone. If I were to move to something like a Moto G5 will I be able to access most apps now available?

Second question is what is the key difference between say Moto G5 with Android 7 and say a Wileyfox with some version of Cyanogen. Again this is just about apps. Is Cyanogen likely to limit me and by the way I am not getting into flashing ROMs. As an example will Android Auto work with Cyanogen/Wileyfox? and is it guaranteed to work with the Moto?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

jp101 wrote: »
    I had an android some years ago and the key problem I had was simply that Apps were late/never turned up for my phone. If I were to move to something like a Moto G5 will I be able to access most apps now available?
    Thanks in advance.

You wouldn't by any chance of had an Android phone prior to Lollipop. If so, that explains a lot :rolleyes:
    Before lollipop, many of google apps were caked into the Operating System, including the android webview - which is used to render/run many apps. As the webview was part of the Operating System it could be a native app and could be implemented differently by all manufacturers (worse still it was only updated when the operating system was updated which could ruin the experience on apps). End result was apps that behaved differently on many devices - so many app developers simply didn't make them available.

In lollipop, Google moved the webview, and countless other apps such as (call)phone, contacts, gmail, photos, chrome browser, and youtube to name just a few from the operating system into the Google Play Store where they could be regularly updated and draw on many APIs in Google Play Services. This means all android devices post-lollipop have the most up to date google apps and most importantly all use a webview that is regularly updated (every 6-7 weeks). As all devices use the same webview from the play store, all apps "should" behave the same on it, assuming that the programmer is using the most up to date APIs.

So, yes, you should get the similar apps on the G5 as Wileyfox. I know that some App developers won't support every API, but many support Android 5.0+ so you should be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Cheers Horace thanks for that. And you are right it was 4.4 I last saw

Advertisement