Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family relevance when becoming a guard

• 08-05-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My little sister (15) wants to become a guard, she's really bright and can easily get the grades and has plenty of time until she can apply.
    I'm worried for her because I know that any family members who have been in trouble with the guards would ruin her chances.
    We don't keep in contact with our father but he has been charged with something and gone to prison (we know through our sister who isn't particularly involved with us but keeps in contact with him) we don't know what he was charged with but would this affect her chances?
    She has no involvement with him at all and it would be so unfair to her if he ruined her chances.
    And would warnings affect her chances either? (The sister mentioned who keeps in contact with the father has had warnings)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

slits wrote: »
    My little sister (15) wants to become a guard, she's really bright and can easily get the grades and has plenty of time until she can apply.
    I'm worried for her because I know that any family members who have been in trouble with the guards would ruin her chances.
    We don't keep in contact with our father but he has been charged with something and gone to prison (we know through our sister who isn't particularly involved with us but keeps in contact with him) we don't know what he was charged with but would this affect her chances?
    She has no involvement with him at all and it would be so unfair to her if he ruined her chances.
    And would warnings affect her chances either? (The sister mentioned who keeps in contact with the father has had warnings)
    Thanks

You can't really change the past- at this day and age it's hard to believe someone will get punished for someone else's crime. I think, they just want to know about any convictions/ if you are honest about situations that you have dealt with.

this can be her strong point- she saw her dad- this is her struggle which wants her to join the garda.

I suggest you as a guardian involve herself in a lot of charity works or community events. this will add under her belt that she wants to give to community and helpful. all the best. the world needs a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 slits

ArifI wrote: »
    You can't really change the past- at this day and age it's hard to believe someone will get punished for someone else's crime. I think, they just want to know about any convictions/ if you are honest about situations that you have dealt with.

this can be her strong point- she saw her dad- this is her struggle which wants her to join the garda.

I suggest you as a guardian involve herself in a lot of charity works or community events. this will add under her belt that she wants to give to community and helpful. all the best. the world needs a hero.

Thanks so much for this, I was so worried for her as its something she had her hopes set on and it would be great for her as we really don't live in a great community but her friends are influenced by her and seeing her make such a productive decision and being productive and charitable will really encourage them and hopefully she'll even inspire change around here.
    Many thanks again.

Advertisement