Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - worried about HL Maths

Options
  • 08-05-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am currently in 5th year and am finding Higher Level maths very hard. Sometimes I just can't do the homework no matter how hard I try or how long I spend on it. I got a H1 for Christmas and an A in Higher Level in the Junior Cert but some parts of it like calculus and logarithims are just so hard. I have an amazing teacher so that's not it. I'm doing eight Higher Level subjects at the moment, should I drop down? Because it really is hard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OhDuvv

I got a bare pass in the mocks and I have no clue whats going on in class on a good day. If I can chance honours Im sure you can too! Im relatively sure I will pass the exam, but I dont know If I will get the +25 or not.

However, 8 higher level subjects seems unduely stressful. If there is one or two subjects you know you are weak at compared to the other 6 (one of them might well be maths) maybe it would be best to drop to ordinary. At the end of the day, all that matters is you getting through this thing. Then points, then the sesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Honours maths is just practice, I was failing up until Christmas in fifth year and my teacher told me to drop down, I didn't. Ended up getting a B2. It's helped loads as I was doing a mathsy college course. I hated maths before but learned the hard way by repetition and really learned to love them once things clicked. It's great skill for being able to problem solve in work and plus with those bonus points it's a no brainer.

I think it's too soon to know in fifth year. Plus if you decide to drop down next year you would breeze through the Ordinary level paper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stick with it. If you did that we'll in JC you are well able for it. As others have said practice is the key + you will get it. It's way too soon to be dropping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

If you got an A in JC you'd be fine. I'm doing 8 HL subjects and with 3 weeks till the LC I wouldn't recommend it tbh. Drop one subject, keep working at HL maths & if you're still struggling after the 5th year summer exams, drop down. Don't leave it too late, but if you got an A in JC you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 maevewiiinters

OhDuvv wrote: »
    I got a bare pass in the mocks and I have no clue whats going on in class on a good day. If I can chance honours Im sure you can too! Im relatively sure I will pass the exam, but I dont know If I will get the +25 or not.

However, 8 higher level subjects seems unduely stressful. If there is one or two subjects you know you are weak at compared to the other 6 (one of them might well be maths) maybe it would be best to drop to ordinary. At the end of the day, all that matters is you getting through this thing. Then points, then the sesh.

Thanks so much! This has really helped. Ya 8 higher level subjects is a bit much, I'll see about maybe dropping down to one ordinary subject next year. I hope your leaving cert goes well, I'm sure you'll get the 25 points if you managed to pass maths in the mocks!

• Advertisement

jogd1234 wrote: »
    If you got an A in JC you'd be fine. I'm doing 8 HL subjects and with 3 weeks till the LC I wouldn't recommend it tbh. Drop one subject, keep working at HL maths & if you're still struggling after the 5th year summer exams, drop down. Don't leave it too late, but if you got an A in JC you should be fine.

Thanks a million! Good luck with your leaving cert

appledrop wrote: »
    Stick with it. If you did that we'll in JC you are well able for it. As others have said practice is the key + you will get it. It's way too soon to be dropping down.

Thanks so much, this really helped my confidence! I'd say you're right, possibly just overthinking XD

Honours maths is just practice, I was failing up until Christmas in fifth year and my teacher told me to drop down, I didn't. Ended up getting a B2. It's helped loads as I was doing a mathsy college course. I hated maths before but learned the hard way by repetition and really learned to love them once things clicked. It's great skill for being able to problem solve in work and plus with those bonus points it's a no brainer.

I think it's too soon to know in fifth year. Plus if you decide to drop down next year you would breeze through the Ordinary level paper

Thanks so much! It's nice to hear from someone who has actually survived it lol x

Advertisement