Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill Mare's Tail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

One application of weedkiller will not do the job, it will take many applications maybe over several years and a glyphosate based weedkiller like Roundup might be a better option Spray new growth as soon as it sprouts.
    Don't be tempted to dig it out as it is heavy going and will most likely only spread it further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Marhay70 wrote: »
    One application of weedkiller will not do the job, it will take many applications maybe over several years and a glyphosate based weedkiller like Roundup might be a better option Spray new growth as soon as it sprouts.
    Don't be tempted to dig it out as it is heavy going and will most likely only spread it further

Issue is the garden is about to be reseeded, with rotavator. That is going to chop up ground and probably spread it everywhere

I want to try and hit it with something now to dull the affect....

I have used Barbarian weedkiller so far, was said to be same as roundup

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I mixed two selective herbicides last year and it worked a treat with one application.
    MCPA amd Grazon90, in 15l knapsack.

One application and its gone.

Doesn't burn grass but stunts it a bit.

Mortone kills it

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I mixed two selective herbicides last year and it worked a treat with one application.

Thanks, just checking is this what you refer to?

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/mcpa-50

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/grazon-90-1-litre

Just found a link, says the below:
    Chemical controls
    Infestations of horsetail can be weakened with weedkiller. Tough weedkillers containing glyphosate

Checked the one I have, it is Acron Barbarian. Contains Glyphosate acis 360 g/l (30.7 % w/w)

I am wondering should I cut the grass/horsetail with mower. Then spray the area so it can get into the roots?

I have already sprayed the area without cutting and nothing.

I am aware I will need to dispose of the grass so it doesn't spread

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just found a link, says the below:
    Chemical controls
    Infestations of horsetail can be weakened with weedkiller. Tough weedkillers containing glyphosate

Checked the one I have, it is Acron Barbarian. Contains Glyphosate acis 360 g/l (30.7 % w/w)

I am wondering should I cut the grass/horsetail with mower. Then spray the area so it can get into the roots?

I have already sprayed the area without cutting and nothing.

I am aware I will need to dispose of the grass so it doesn't spread

Much better to beat it down with back of a shovel, this breaks the waxy surface that makes it so resilient to herbicides.
    Remember herbicides are absorbed through the green living portion of plants, cutting and removing lessons the area you have to coat and deliver the chemical into the plant. .

Yea
    Grazon is expensive

Yea
    Grazon is expensive

What sort of Dilution Rate you use?

Just the recommended for both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

No sign of it this year? It's infested my garden but is also in the neighbourhood so thought it would keep returning once the spores are airborne.

I done an initial try at it. So I cut the front with mower. As I was going around the house I spotted a big out break of it at side of house as well.

So I cut that as well and then covered it in weed killer. See if that will do anything.

In the meantime will order the stuff above.

I just ran the mower at a high cutting so left plenty of it there.....it got 2 runs over it with the sprayer so hopefully will kill some of it off before the rotavator kicks in.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would it not be the sort of plant which would be weakened by continual mowing, if it's growing somewhere that allows that?

Bringing in a rotavator before it's totally eradicated is madness, it will chop up and mix through the soil and the problem will be 1000 times worse.
    This really is a case where patience is important, rush this and you'll be kicking yourself for making a bad problem into a disaster.

I don't like the notion of mowing it because it spreads via equipment and definitely via clippings.

Do not underestimate this invasive weed, I know people who had to dig out sections of garden to get rid, and they still have some.

Bringing in a rotavator before it's totally eradicated is madness, it will chop up and mix through the soil and the problem will be 1000 times worse.
    This really is a case where patience is important, rush this and you'll be kicking yourself for making a bad problem into a disaster.

I don't like the notion of mowing it because it spreads via equipment and definitely via clippings.

Do not underestimate this invasive weed, I know people who had to dig out sections of garden to get rid, and they still have some.

Issue is the garden is dead, all the grass is dead and only thing growing is this weed.

Now I was thinking of just rotating the back garden and front section and leave that section but then I would have a big yellow strip along one side.

It gets messy as I have a contractor in to do the work.

With the mower I collected everything into the box, have a bag to put it into and will dispose of it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have some scattered in different parts of my lawns, mostly the rear which is the larger one.

I have seen it move around and crop up in different areas each year. Not really sure if its spreading in quantity, I'm sure it probably is gradually, but there is not enough yet to start digging up lawns.

It sounds like a complete bugger of a weed. I always wonder if something is so hard to get rid of, is it worth the hassle?

I saw one stunning herbaceous border completly destroyed because it was let get hold.

It really needs to be tackled early and eradicated to avoid huge problems.

I saw one stunning herbaceous border completly destroyed because it was let get hold.

It really needs to be tackled early and eradicated to avoid huge problems.

It is all mixed up in my Beech hedge, how do I kill it in middle of that?

It is all mixed up in my Beech hedge, how do I kill it in middle of that?

This is where it becomes a nightmare.
    I've seen acid resistant gloves used.

Container of weedkiller.
    Dip gloved hand in, grab stems and pull hand up along stems, not as slow as you'd expect but not how herbicides are intended to be used either.

I've seen some weeds treated with one of those litter grabber yokes in similar way, sponge fixed to both sides, keep sponge damp with roundup, clamp onto weeds and pull up stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Anybody who thinks they've got rid of mare's tail in one treatment could be in for a bit of a shock. While it is true that glyphosate will weaken the top growth, under the ground is where you need to kill. This is why I said earlier that it could take some years, the new growth you see is not a new plant but growth from part of the root that has managed to survive the treatment. Successive treatments will eventually weaken this to the point of no return but it takes time and effort. It's up to you whether you want to do the job right or fight an ongoing battle.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks they've got rid of mare's tail in one treatment could be in for a bit of a shock. While it is true that glyphosate will weaken the top growth, under the ground is where you need to kill. This is why I said earlier that it could take some years, the new growth you see is not a new plant but growth from part of the root that has managed to survive the treatment. Successive treatments will eventually weaken this to the point of no return but it takes time and effort. It's up to you whether you want to do the job right or fight an ongoing battle.

I agree with you but I know it was mixed in with the beech hedge last year but it was not out in garden. This looks like a new break out so hopefully the root hasn't had the chance to go down very far

That is my hope anyway :P

Any idea if this would affect the beech hedge?

Any idea if this would affect the beech hedge?

Definitely kill it instantly !!
    Otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

What ratio of each did you use?

padraig.od wrote: »
    What ratio of each did you use?

Added the recommended mix of each for my 15l knapsack.

I jnspected the area at the weekend and none has regrown.

It also burnt off nettles and brambles at the same time, everything except the grass which it did stunt growth of for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Our place its horrible
    The stuff grows in concrete and the tarmac driveway and even at some places inside the garage and shed
    tried to kill it for almost 6 years now with almost pure roundup
    Everything dies except those weeds

Added the recommended mix of each for my 15l knapsack.

I jnspected the area at the weekend and none has regrown.

It also burnt off nettles and brambles at the same time, everything except the grass which it did stunt growth of for a bit.

Thanks, just out of interest you said it killed it in one go, did you do anything first to the Horsetail? hit it with shove as you mentioned or anything else?

Or you just mix the stuff and off you went?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thira

I use Basta, same active ingredient (glufosinate ammonium)
    Available in any Agri suppliers

• Advertisement

thira wrote: »
    I use Basta, same active ingredient (glufosinate ammonium)
    Available in any Agri suppliers

Curious.
    Do you have pesticides application training or do they ask when you bought it, it would be registered as professional use only.

Advertisement