Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Roaming - Received no service

Options
  • 08-05-2017 8:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I recently spent a few days in Bucharest, Romania and upon my arrival in the country I received no Data roaming whatsoever. My voice and texts did work but this was incredibly frustrating as I badly needed Data roaming whilst there.

I rang Eir to resolve the situation whilst there but nobody could get the situation sorted and I had no Data roaming during my stay until the last day when I left Bucharest by train and was about 100kms outside the city it eventually started working; this was of no use to me then as my trip was all but over. I also never received a welcome text to Romania, and it appears as if Eir never activated my handset for roaming properly on the local networks.

During the trip I was forced to buy a cheap smart phone costing me almost €50 and a local Vodafone Romania simcard to get online via wifi tethering hotspot, this is also troublesome to have to carry two smart phones. Eir simlocked my own phone and I could not put a local Romanian simcard into the phone which would have easily sorted the problem and avoided the need to purchase the unlocked cheap android phone. The local Telekom Romania (Eir's roaming partner network) was working throughout my stay and I even consulted with them to see if there was some setting wrong etc. they confirmed that it was EIR's fault as many different companies roam with them from other countries.

I have already made an official complaint to Eir and also to ComReg about the matter. I am a frequent traveller and will be flying abroad to Europe again at the end of this month and I subscribed to EIR's landline and mobile bundle heavily influenced  by the 1GB of Data roaming, which is just easier than constantly swapping sims and the trouble of going to a phone shop etc. 

I am seeking two things here:

A)
    As a goodwill gesture I want for EIR to refund me the cost of the Android smart phone (receipts can be provided) which was the cheapest hotspot capable phone I could find and which coincidentally wasted over 2 hours of my time to find a phone and I then also had to buy a Vodafone-RO simcard.

B) To unlock my iPhone immediately as I will be going travelling again in under three weeks and Eir have proven themselves an incompetent company totally incapable of providing Data roaming when I need it. I will rely on local simcards in future than bother rely to Eir.

If options A & B are not met then I am considering our contract null and void and I will take EIR to the small claims court for breach of contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Doltanian,

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

If your data was not working in the region of Bucharest, unfortunately, this would be a location issue locally and not with the eir network.

I'm afraid we would be unable to refund you the above as your data roaming worked outside of this area and I'm afraid we are not liable for this.

All of our mobiles are locked to the eMobile network for the duration of your contract and we would be unable to unlock your iPhone due to the above.

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement