Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the correct name for these esb boxes

Options
  • 08-05-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

As per title.

Wal%20Crack_zpsm5x0pl18.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Looks like mini-piller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

red sean wrote: »
    Looks like mini-piller.

Its about 2ft high and 18" wide, but what do esb networks call them, booster
    boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It's a mini pillar. Basically a cable carrying 3 phase 400v from the nearest unit sub Loops in and out of the mini pillar and feeds on to busbars. The service cable to your and your neighbors house is taken from these busbars.

Anyone know if these can be re-sited say to outside the wall. Its just that a crack has developed from the top of the wall down to the lintel over the mini piller. Mainly caused I reckon from people n kids climbing the wall at this point, over the years and this will continue.

If the spaced for the mini piller could be blocked up it would give more strength to the wall and prevent further damage.

I know I can contact esb networks but would like to get any opinions first here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There is no lintel over the mini-pillar

The comedy block layer put a bit of flat iron over it instead to "make it look lovely"

Get someone to brace the wall, knock the 12 or so blocks above it in a V shape and build it up properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Contact them, if you are concerned.

There really shouldn't be a trellis there blocking access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Anyone know if these can be re-sited say to outside the wall. Its just that a crack has developed from the top of the wall down to the lintel over the mini piller. Mainly caused I reckon from people n kids climbing the wall at this point, over the years and this will continue.

If the spaced for the mini piller could be blocked up it would give more strength to the wall and prevent further damage.

I know I can contact esb networks but would like to get any opinions first here.

It can be moved but you'll have to pay for it afaik.

It doesn't actually look as if there is a lintel there over the mini pillar at all. It would probably be easier to needle the wall and put in a lintel.

gctest50 wrote: »
    There is no lintel over the mini-pillar

The comedy block layer put a but of flat iron over it instead to "make it look lovely"

Yeah you can say that again. I was calling this flat iron a steel lintel, all corroded now and flaking away.

How would esb networks view this now and what are likely to be my options I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Yeah you can say that again. I was calling this flat iron a steel lintel, all corroded now and flaking away.

How would esb networks view this now and what are likely to be my options I wonder.

If that steel is corroding it's probably the cause of the cracking as rust expands it will lift the blocks.

If that steel is corroding it's probably the cause of the cracking as rust expands it will lift the blocks.

The crack definitely started from the top of the wall downwards due to stress from loads of people climbing over it over the years. Pub near by, closed for now thank god.

Built 40yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

That's the back of it you can see in the picture. Not a hope of getting it moved. Only hope you have is if the developer is still on site and you can convince him to cough up the cash to have it moved. Esb get loads of requests to move mini pillars, poles and subs simply because people don't want them in their gardens etc. The placement of these are agreed at construction stage so as to strategically place them around the estate. Oh and I wouldn't worry about the wall falling on it they are pretty tough. I have seen eejiits crash cars in to them and cause little or no damage

Luckysasha wrote: »
    That's the back of it you can see in the picture. Not a hope of getting it moved. Only hope you have is if the developer is still on site and you can convince him to cough up the cash to have it moved. Esb get loads of requests to move mini pillars, poles and subs simply because people don't want them in their gardens etc. The placement of these are agreed at construction stage so as to strategically place them around the estate. Oh and I wouldn't worry about the wall falling on it they are pretty tough. I have seen eejiits crash cars in to them and cause little or no damage

Developer is gone 40yrs ago.

Yeah I was wondering about that, I always like to work from the worse case
    senario to lesser options.:D

Advertisement