Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negotiating a higher salary at new job

Options
  • 08-05-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was working part time on a mini career break for the past 4 years, i was offered a new job 5 days and when it came to salary i only asked for slightly more what i was on currently and have now discovered that the salary i asked for was way too low for my needs.

its mad as when i was working part time i was also getting a good bit on expenses that boosted my salary.

The problem i am having now is that i can just about survive on what i am getting and I was wondering how do i approach the subject of negotiating a higher salary after 2 months in the job and asking for a lower salary and getting what i asked for

i feel so stupid for under valuing myself and cutting myself short, i have no doubt i would have got about E20k more if i had asked for it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to approach it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well you have to decide whether it is worth giving up the job before you do anything. Then I think it is probably better to be up front about your financial needs and how you made a miscalculation and that you think x salary is more suitable. But remember you have to be happy to walk away if it doesn't go your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Jes - thats a tough situation you have got yourself into.

As someone who recruits let me tell you how this could have played out on the other side. It might help you inform your decision better.

the recruiter may have hired you based on your salary expectations

e.g. candidate A (you) matches the required profile to 70% and the salary expectations are 80% of budgeted
    Candidate B matches required profile 100% but salary expectations are 120% of what is budgeted.

In that case you get the job even though you are not the best match profile wise.

TBH I've never had someone come back to me shortly after starting and asking for a pay rise, I dont know how I would even handle it to be honest. It would very much depend on the person and the new expectations.

Having said all of that if you cant make ends meet you have to do something.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

The problem i am having now is that i can just about survive on what i am getting and I was wondering how do i approach the subject of negotiating a higher salary after 2 months in the job and asking for a lower salary and getting what i asked for.

This is a difficult one, and I see very little scope for any immediate increase, considering that you were given what you asked for.

How are your options for moving on somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Personally I think you have two options

a) IF you financially won't be able to cut it, you need to hand in notice and go back job hunting, and get something at the higher rate
    b) You you financially can cut it, and value that it might be a good job, hold on for your annual and or six month probationary review.

As mentioned above there can be numerous factors in terms of why you were hired. If you did have expectations much less then peers, then while I'm sure you ultimately were hired for suitability for the role, it was likely a big factor in terms of why you were picked. Depending, you can't say for sure, but as a general it could have been a big factor.

I'd "imagine" your first response will be no, and that it can be looked at in your review. I'd say it won't look great, if you care about perception, that you have just started and are going into broaching about a 20k rise. A bit brazzen if I'm honest. Mistake was on your part, and it's a lesson you'll take with you going forward.

Depends on if you can cut it financially or if it will be too much of a burden. I can't see it coming of for you, never heard of it. Push the agenda to hard, and you could just be sent packing and the manager goes back to the next on the list behind you.

It is entirely possible that you might get a bump, without even asking at your six month probation. I know I've had instances previously where I get to probation, pass it, and it comes with a salary bump. It's painted as "we are just really impressed and want to you know that and we value you here" which initially you are like "wow, I'm doing really well". And sometimes that can be legit reasoning. But often it's a realisation that I went under competition or their budget in terms of what I settled for, and they are able to give me this token to make me feel good and boost moral.

I've often done the same from the other side, someone joins the team or a team that I get under priced, they really impress in the probation and then you organise for a mini bump as a little token along with passing probation. So that might happen for you.

Worth remembering you won't actually get any specifics from your manager or HR about what competition you were against and their salary expectations, but be prepared to be bluffed with "Sorry, but we had other candidates willing to take the same rate as you and we thought you were the best. But we can't grant that request" and to give you the indication that they can get someone else at the same cost.

So like I said two choices. If you can make it work, grind it out for probation and annual review if its a job you think you will like and be good for you. If you can't grind it out, then sever ties now. Either keep up until you get a new job or just hand in your notice and if asked site that you totally underballed your salary and you actually can't afford the drop you took. You might be pleasantly surprised if you've engrained yourself quick enough, or you might be given all the best wishes.

Big lesson there though. To have lowballed yourself by 20k is pretty mental. Serious errors on your part. There is a lot of good information out there about sector salaries, nevermind information about even specific company salaries and going rates.

I guess a final question that hasnt been asked, is why do you think, or what has given you the impression you lowballed and could have gotten more? Type of job might help with some feedback even from here, so you don't make a misinformed or drastic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

This does not really stack up, why do you think the difference is 20K?

Very unlikely to succeed in securing a large pay rise so soon after starting. Maybe keep looking for alternative work, and do your research on pay beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think the key thing here is to understand what the market rate for this role is.

If you are significantly under this rate, then you might be able to broach the subject when you are finished probation. If you are paid at the market rate, then tough....doesn't matter what your personal expenses are, the company arent going to pay you more.

But as a life lesson, check out what the market rate for a role is before you tell the company what your salary expectations are. That way you can go into things with your eyes open and not find yourself back in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

From an employer's perspective we would not even make an offer which was well below the norm from that position, as you run a massive risk of losing that person shortly after you may have invested heavily in them concerning ramp-up, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

skallywag wrote: »
    From an employer's perspective we would not even make an offer which was well below the norm from that position, as you run a massive risk of losing that person shortly after you may have invested heavily in them concerning ramp-up, etc.

Unfortunately not all employers are as reputable as you.

You will find a lot of employers (mainly US ones) that will underpay staff mainly because a sizeable proportion of people will not be bothered to move jobs to chase the money...at least not until its worth their while. People become comfortable in a job/routine and need a reason to break it.....a could of hundred quid a year doesnt always do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks everyone for your replies

the salary i asked for is below the market value and they did say at the interview that it was well below what they were expecting.

my employer is Irish and are business people who set up and small high return businesses

I feel like such a fool having to go back and ask for more money but the fact of the matter is its my fault for not thinking things through and just grabbing a job

if i am refused it will leave a sour taste in my mouth with the risk of sounding arrogant, they need me as my area is very niche and they had problems finding someone to do the work until i came along

i would like advice on how do i bring it up, i was thinking as suggested waiting until the probation is over

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Thanks everyone for your replies

the salary i asked for is below the market value and they did say at the interview that it was well below what they were expecting.

my employer is Irish and are business people who set up and small high return businesses

I feel like such a fool having to go back and ask for more money but the fact of the matter is its my fault for not thinking things through and just grabbing a job

if i am refused it will leave a sour taste in my mouth with the risk of sounding arrogant, they need me as my area is very niche and they had problems finding someone to do the work until i came along

i would like advice on how do i bring it up, i was thinking as suggested waiting until the probation is over

I guess you could try bring it up again, but it might paint you in a lesser light at this moment. But I think it depends how much they need you and how much leverage you have without knowing your industry. Failing that bringing up upon successful probation period is good advice, just depends how underpaid you think you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi

thanks for the replies, here is an update, i emailed the boss and asked for my salary to be reviewed as for the hours i'm doing its not financially viable they said they will review it but need to increase productivity

then i saw my job advertised for 15k more than what i'm getting and negotiable plus a relocation package

i feel like i was deceived its put a bad taste in my mouth

Advertisement