Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BREAKING, Well done Gardai

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They've been realised without charge and a file is being sent to the DPP...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Source???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Good job by the Guards. Efficiency at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

IMO one of the most moronic aspects of the Irish justice system - for particular crimes, the Gardaí should be able to remand people in custody until the DPP makes a recommendation, and should be able to therefore mark that case as requiring the DPP's urgent consideration. This would apply to essentially all serious violent crime, particularly organised violent crime. It's absurd that somebody suspected of a dangerous, violent crime and with the potential for re-offending cannot be instantly remanded in custody at the discretion of their arresting Gardaí, and that their cases to the DPP cannot be fast tracked in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The Gardai have plenty of experience catching terrorists only to have them walk after a short sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

Completely against revoking anyone's citizenship unless they lied in the application (and this is the only legitimate reason for revoking a citizenship of a Citizen.)
    This whole hysteria of revoking citizenship for this for that is very dangerous and could potentially devalue citizenship and turn it into something that ultimately belongs to authorities/government and not to the people.

Any criminal,no matter what crime is, must stand before law as a citizen and face consequences as a citizen.

I read the article. They're foreigners. But even if they weren't, the subject of citizenship is very sensitive and have to be dealt with carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

eurasian wrote: »
    I read the article. They're foreigners. But even if they weren't, the subject of citizenship is very sensitive and have to be dealt with carefully.

Under UN law, it's illegal to make someone stateless. Citizenship, for me, is very straight forward. You commit a serious offence, you're gone, even if you have kids and your wife was born here. Stop them from further contaminating the gene pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If these people are proven in a fair trial to be the scumbags they are alleged to be, I for one will not just support but demand either their imprisonment for a long, long time if they're Irish citizens, or their deportment if they are not.
    Well then if they are found guilty, by all means revoke their citizenship and get them the f*ck out of our country.
    Now that's coming from a far left poster, again I'd like to ask where exactly the evidence is for the far left's supposed support of Isis?

You want to let them go if they're not originally Irish, with what basically amounts to a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Am I missing something? Cos there isn't a single word on what those guys supposedly did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Fair and just manner? Human rights? What about everyone else's human rights not to be killed by terrorists, or the reasonable expectation of safety? Those ****ets should be shot on sight

Sounds exactly like the impromptu tabloid/bar stool verdicts that were deemed suitable for the Birmingham Six/Guildford Four/McGuire Seven etc. It wasn't long ago statements like that would be levelled at Irish people. I'd prefer a world with fair legal process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It isn't. Neither is Europol. He probably watched too many Bond movies.

A huge amount of anti terrorism data comes from the UK. Europe has nothing like GCHQ. The attacks in France & the total inability to see the threat from Belgium shows how the intelligence is ineffectual.

The Guards would of been given the names & addresses. GCHQ have probably been monitoring them for quite a while & only asked for arrests because they thought that something was imminent.

Or the UK told the Guards, maybe asked for surveillance & they decided to arrest against advice. So now they are out on bail & can flee.

Am I missing something? Cos there isn't a single word on what those guys supposedly did.

The Terrorism Offence Act 2015 created three new offences of:
    • Public provocation to commit a terrorist offence
    • Recruitment for terrorism
    • Training for terrorism

These offences can carry sentences of up to 10 years imprisonment.
    (the journal.ie)

Discodog wrote: »

Or the UK told the Guards, maybe asked for surveillance & they decided to arrest against advice.

That's a vivid imagination you have there, fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Discodog wrote: »
    A huge amount of anti terrorism data comes from the UK. Europe has nothing like GCHQ. The attacks in France & the total inability to see the threat from Belgium shows how the intelligence is ineffectual.

The Guards would of been given the names & addresses. GCHQ have probably been monitoring them for quite a while & only asked for arrests because they thought that something was imminent.

Or the UK told the Guards, maybe asked for surveillance & they decided to arrest against advice. So now they are out on bail & can flee.

What are you basing this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Phoebas wrote: »
    The Terrorism Offence Act 2015 created three new offences of:
    • Public provocation to commit a terrorist offence
    • Recruitment for terrorism
    • Training for terrorism

These offences can carry sentences of up to 10 years imprisonment.
    (the journal.ie)

I get that. But that doesn't change the fact that it says nothing about wether they were charged with anything and what that anything is. Some people seem to miss those minor details when reading newspaper articles. Just pointing that out to the 'hang them now and hang them higher' brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

can't be done as it's against due process. the special criminal court deprives them of a proper jury trial, and it's our job to interrogate them in a fair and just manner to insure any information is accurate.

can't be done, it's against their human rights and it's asalt and breaks international law.
    Fair and just manner? Human rights? What about everyone else's human rights not to be killed by terrorists, or the reasonable expectation of safety? Those ****ets should be shot on sight
    And what do they do if they get the wrong person, mistaken identity etc?

And on the water boarding suggestion the other poster made, sure that's great. You can get so much information out of them that they'll tell you all about their secret relationship with Elvis and what the winning lotto numbers for the draw 5 months from now are just to get you to stop. Almost as if they'll say whatever you tell them, rather than whatever they know, to get you go stop... almost as if intelligence agencies widely agree that torture is ineffective for that reason among others.

As for the gardai, great job by them and great to see such swift action and keeping on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Well done to the Gardai and they should pay no attention to the naysayers.

None of them would be able to do the job, they'd fall at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

While its good to see them starting to catch 2 or 3, they still have more to try and get aswell.

Back in end of 2014 they were monitoring 300, can only imagine that figure is much more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That's hardly the fault of the Gardai. That's the fault of a judicial system seriously in need of an overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Reality? GCHQ is the largest and most powerful electronic surveillance installation in Europe and feeds information to Uk Police, MI5, MI6, the USA and to NATO/Interpol. Or do you think that radar pod in Baldonnell the aircorps use is secretly monitoring electronic traffic in Ireland and "we don't need anyone". :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Tip of the Iceberg

1 of them has been released without charge already

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0509/873641-dublin-arrests/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

511 wrote: »
    Under UN law, it's illegal to make someone stateless. Citizenship, for me, is very straight forward. You commit a serious offence, you're gone, even if you have kids and your wife was born here. Stop them from further contaminating the gene pool.
    Eugenics is yer only man.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Well done to the Gardai and they should pay no attention to the naysayers.

None of them would be able to do the job, they'd fall at the first hurdle.

At least we wouldnt stitch up a colleague as being a paedophile because he made a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Irish law around containing terrorism is actually pretty draconian and developed by comparison to much of Europe due to the history of "the troubles".

The key issue here is ensuring we have good intelligence.

Considering what happened in Sweden - a country that has no involvement in the middle east, isn't even in NATO and is very peace loving, it's fairly important we aren't complainant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tip of the Iceberg

you wish

cisk wrote: »
    1 of them has been released without charge already

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0509/873641-dublin-arrests/
    Good thing they didn't shoot him on sight, then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Billy86 wrote: »
    Good thing they didn't shoot him on sight, then!

Eh?

This is not the USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Step forward Ruth Coppinger.

Ha ha I love it for the entertainment value.

As though one entire constituency has decided to troll the rest of the nation.

"And can I just saaaaaaaayy.... [some cultural marxist whinge or other]"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

It doesn't matter what they did the Ministry of Information has branded them Terrorists therefore they are to be tortured and deported. Or deported and tortured. Whichever helps the proles easysleep at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Phoebas wrote: »
    You want to let them go if they're not originally Irish, with what basically amounts to a slap on the wrist.

I don't want to, but if they're in the country illegally then what's the legal / constitutional position on sending them to jail here? Is it allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

We all critisize the Gardai, sometimes justified and I'm probably one of the first to do it, but they deserve credit where it's due. Fair play to them for it today.

Yes they have issues still. But I agree that this is good work; as is the progress against the two Dublin criminal families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Any chance we could get them on blasphemy charges?

Eh?

This is not the USA

Was regarding a comment above saying that's what should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That's hardly the fault of the Gardai. That's the fault of a judicial system seriously in need of an overhaul.

I don't recall saying the Gardai are at fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't want to, but if they're in the country illegally then what's the legal / constitutional position on sending them to jail here? Is it allowed?

it is allowed. why would it not be? at the end of their sentence they would be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The outrage over an alleged terrorist threat and the proposed solutions. The irony is beyond measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Common sense. It would be very unlikely the Gardai would be aware of a threat that the UK didn't know about.

https://www.gchq.gov.uk/features/how-does-analyst-catch-terrorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Odelay wrote: »
    "Up to ten years in prison" wow, that will deter them...

I've always wondered about the logic behind terror plot sentencing in the UK and Europe- giving someone who was prepared to commit suicide, usually in his 20's, to advance the politics of a sky fairy, a sentence whereby they will be released relatively young. He is violent and deranged enough when he is in his 20's, what will he be like getting released in 20 year with no job prospects, minimal chance of starting a family, essentially nothing to live for. Do like the US, life without parole unless they have given some very helpful states evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Well done to the guards for whatever they did or didn't do in this extremely vague story. And I'm glad two innocent men were released or the terrorist bastards should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Well done to the guards for whatever they did or didn't do in this extremely vague story. And I'm glad two innocent men were released or the terrorist bastards should be shot.

Right lads, we need a big win because of the current cluster f==k with all the ****e we've been caught doing. Nothing says sorry like some terrorists in the slammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

God bless you an Garda. So proud. Well done to all those involved. My heart goes out to them putting their lives on the line for us everyday. Well done guys brilliant job really proud. Brilliant.

The Uniform should feature a cape to add further gravitas to these noble, noble creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

God bless you an Garda. So proud. Well done to all those involved. My heart goes out to them putting their lives on the line for us everyday. Well done guys brilliant job really proud. Brilliant.

Eh......are they not just doing what they get paid to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I'm sure Interpol will continue to pass on key terrorist information to the Gardai with the knowledge that the situation will be dealt with correctly and in a timely manner. Well done our boys in blue. What would we do without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I'm sure Interpol will continue to pass on key terrorist information to the Gardai with the knowledge that the situation will be dealt with correctly and in a timely manner. Well done our boys in blue. What would we do without them?

Sthap paying tax on the car.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the gardai will also continue to pass on information to Interpol, europol & other police forces, as is the norm with police & intelligence services

Advertisement