Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an immersion switch with something better

Options
  • 08-05-2017 9:13pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have a bog standard on/off, sink/bath immersion switch in the hallway.

The thing is I got a Nest a few months back and while it has certainly helped reduce the oil bill/usage the knock on effect of less heating on some days is we often have no hot water heated.

So I'd like to replace the basic on/off switch with something a bit better that has a timer and I like the idea of a switch and forget boost feature which will switch on for a set amount of time and then switch off.

I've been looking around and this appears to suit my needs (see link below), but just curious what happens to the sink/bath part from the existing switch?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeguard-NTT03-Electronic-Immersion-Timeswitch/dp/B00BJIB97K/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nothing happens your existing switch, it remains.

That timer would be put in before the existing switch. When it turns on, your water heats in the mode you have it set to (sink/bath).

You can get a manual timer from local electrical suplliers as that Amazon one is just that with a digital display. Is that display lit ? My hot press does not have a light so I would not be able to read that timer easily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Damien360 wrote: »
    Nothing happens your existing switch, it remains.

Would it not replace the existing switch in the hallway, ideally this is what I'm looking for. At the moment the cable from the element goes to a junction box and then to my existing wallswitch.
    You can get a manual timer from local electrical suplliers as that Amazon one is just that with a digital display.

True, but it doesn't have the low tick of some rottery timers so I'd rather this type personally.
    Is that display lit ? My hot press does not have a light so I would not be able to read that timer easily.

Yeah the timer has a backlit display

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Damien360

Cabaal wrote: »
    Would it not replace the existing switch in the hallway, ideally this is what I'm looking for. At the moment the cable from the element goes to a junction box and then to my existing wallswitch.

True, but it doesn't have the low tick of some rottery timers so I'd rather this type personally.

Yeah the timer has a backlit display

That Amazon thing is just the same as a timer for a light. On/off at given times. You would still need the sink/bath one to select which part of element. I also have a thermostat strapped on the tank wired to the manual switch. Once it reaches temp, all off, regardless of timer. Wife never remembers to switch off so I reckon that's saved us a small fortune alone.

Mine does that ticking noise but is inside press. It would be annoying exposed so fair enough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Damien360 wrote: »
    That Amazon thing is just the same as a timer for a light. On/off at given times. You would still need the sink/bath one to select which part of element. I also have a thermostat strapped on the tank wired to the manual switch. Once it reaches temp, all off, regardless of timer. Wife never remembers to switch off so I reckon that's saved us a small fortune alone.

Mine does that ticking noise but is inside press. It would be annoying exposed so fair enough.

Prob should have mentioned the tank has a thermostat strapped to the tank already, the whole thing was only installed back in 2008 so it's all recent enough (relatively).

Is there any timer setup that would replace the on/off switch in the hallway that anyone could suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there any timer setup that would replace the on/off switch in the hallway that anyone could suggest?

Yes, there are dual-element immersion timers available. Here's one....

https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collections/powersaver/products/powersaver-dual-flexi?variant=41085831302

• Advertisement

hmm,
    So looking at the tank there is actually only one element going into the tank so does this mean the sink/bath switch is pointless?
    I've seen tanks with two elements inserted into them at different heights but mine certainly doesn't have it. Just one from the top

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hmm,
    So looking at the tank there is actually only one element going into the tank so does this mean the sink/bath switch is pointless?
    I've seen tanks with two elements inserted into them at different heights but mine certainly doesn't have it. Just one from the top

It will most likely have a short and long element fitted on the one.

Turn the switch and you will find you will get hot water but not as much as bath of course.

Advertisement