Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Aisling Bea.

She's beautiful, and its great to see her make a career over in the UK. But she is becoming increasingly unhinged on social media.

G.O.T.I aka 'Girl/ Guy On the Internet' syndrome.

They forget that real life people, aka the folks paying the TV license to hear her and her ilk say stuff, have far worse things to worry about. Real life operates far differently to the way she 'perceives' it.
    They then cherry pick instances that back up their viewpoint.

With regards to her social media-it seems more desperate than anything. She's trying to get jobs with talented individuals (wearing Emerald Fennel's name on a tee-shirt, for one. That's cringe.).

So many current 'personalities' would be wise to stay off of social media. Muireann O'Connell is another one. I know she's gone through a hard time of it recently (losing a parent is one of the hardest things you will ever go through) but she needs to stop getting drunk, and then going on social media.
    It's a bad combo. And she's rather nasty on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Marty Morrissey.

Not sure if it's the ultra bright Hollywood gnashers or the fake tan, or just the combination of both, but something annoys me about him. Potato head? It's inexplicable.

His physical shortcomings notwithstanding, and that's obviously a well worn topic by now, its his remarkably positive outlook, also usually inarticulately expressed, that is a counter intuitive to reality.

Every point and score in his chosen career as a gaa commentator is branded'wow', 'amazing', 'fabbalous' as he pronounces it, etc.

Insincere and over compensating with fake cheer and hyperbole for highly trained, top class players, mostly doing something like converting points which is second nature and rudimentary to their related skill set.

He conflates his own self-importance, also I think, to some sort of an integral role within the actual GAA which is obviously nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Paul Stenson of that cafe in phibsborough. Can't stand his marketing and little smug face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Lockheed wrote: »
    Paul Stenson of that cafe in phibsborough. Can't stand his marketing and little smug face.

He's a very nasty piece of work and is awful to his staff day to day. Allegedly made them jump through hoops to get their letters for getting PUP money during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Aisling Bea.

She's beautiful, and its great to see her make a career over in the UK. But she is becoming increasingly unhinged on social media.

What's she saying?

I don't think she's funny at all and is only getting gigs because she's a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

His physical shortcomings notwithstanding, and that's obviously a well worn topic by now, its his remarkably positive outlook, also usually inarticulately expressed, that is a counter intuitive to reality.

Every point and score in his chosen career as a gaa commentator is branded'wow', 'amazing', 'fabbalous' as he pronounces it, etc.

Insincere and over compensating with fake cheer and hyperbole for highly trained, top class players, mostly doing something like converting points which is second nature and rudimentary to their related skill set.

He conflates his own self-importance, also I think, to some sort of an integral role within the actual GAA which is obviously nauseating.

Don't forget players making their "dayboo"

Marty really is pompous. He fully bought into his own hype and memes with the whole online thing about him being a stud etc. His own show during GAA season is called the Marty Squad ffs.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Marty really is pompous. He fully bought into his own hype and memes with the whole online thing about him being a stud etc. His own show during GAA season is called the Marty Squad ffs.

Indeed. Good point that. I must say I would switch off the radio by then and haven't been subjected to that really, although having been at a match a couple of years ago, a person with whom I availed of a lift with insisted upon listening to it, thereby subjecting myself and another to 40-50 odd minutes or so of the worst dreck in Irish radio history and that's a feat in itself in this day and age.

Marty appeared to be getting off on the whooping attention of mere innocent mortals and whatever female presence may have been there from camogie or football, all the while with zero analysis or critical review of the sport. Absolute yahoo broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And don’t forget, there’s no party like a Marty Party!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Indeed. Good point that. I must say I would switch off the radio by then and haven't been subjected to that really, although having been at a match a couple of years ago, a person with whom I availed of a lift with insisted upon listening to it, thereby subjecting myself and another to 40-50 odd minutes or so of the worst dreck in Irish radio history and that's a feat in itself in this day and age.

Marty appeared to be getting off on the whooping attention of mere innocent mortals and whatever female presence may have been there from camogie or football, all the while with zero analysis or critical review of the sport. Absolute yahoo broadcasting.

He also has a long term suffering partner of many many years that he seems to keep on the quiet so as to keep his sex appeal at maximum levels , like a boy band member would be advised:)

He also has a long term suffering partner of many many years that he seems to keep on the quiet so as to keep his sex appeal at maximum levels , like a boy band member would be advised:)

He's sixty odd. Its not as if his apparent magnetism is overflowing. Hair plugs, teeth capping and skin bleaching do not enhance a human being. Marty also bought into the idea of a persona. He likes his labels and big collar's and still thinks its 2001. His level of GAA seems stuck in that time warp also. At least Ger Canning just gets on with it, without the need to be a personality with it, bad and all as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,747 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I thought he lived with his mother?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

G.O.T.I aka 'Girl/ Guy On the Internet' syndrome.

They forget that real life people, aka the folks paying the TV license to hear her and her ilk say stuff, have far worse things to worry about. Real life operates far differently to the way she 'perceives' it.

lol why do people think paying a TV licence means people who work in the media are public property? Aisling Bea works in the UK anyway, and the TV licence doesn’t cover social media channels, so John and Mary Sixpack can do one in this case. :D

lol why do people think paying a TV licence means people who work in the media are public property? Aisling Bea works in the UK anyway, and the TV licence doesn’t cover social media channels, so John and Mary Sixpack can do one in this case. :D

IF you're in the public eye, you know that you're up for scrutiny. It comes with the territory.
    Simple as.

Social Media is, essentially, a 'symptom' to that. Many of these people wouldn't have followings but for being in the public eye. If they weren't in the public eye, nobody would care who they are.

Plus one bad post... and you're out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Aisling Bea.

Is she supposed to be a comedian? She tries to be zany, but she's not very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Absolutely zero analysis is spot on. Youd actually have to put work in to be as bad as him.

Once said of a Monaghan player...'he's from Threemilehouse which is about two miles from Monaghan Town' I presume its called Threemilehouse for a reason.....

cj maxx wrote: »
    Is she supposed to be a comedian? She tries to be zany, but she's not very funny

She sort of spreads herself too far, imo. (*Prepares for onslaught of filthy jokes*)

Like, one minute she's a comedian (which she was winning awards for), the next she's an actress, and then TV presenter...

Like, to be great in one area, you sort of have to focus on one area. she seems too widespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

IF you're in the public eye, you know that you're up for scrutiny. It comes with the territory.
    Simple as.

Social Media is, essentially, a 'symptom' to that. Many of these people wouldn't have followings but for being in the public eye. If they weren't in the public eye, nobody would care who they are.

Plus one bad post... and you're out of a job.

Scrutiny is one thing but thread after thread on this forum is polluted with poisonous bile towards public figures, particularly Irish ones.

The lame excuse that’s normally trotted out is that “I payed me bleedin tv licence” even though the TV licence is for the production of new programmes, maintaining the TV and radio infrastructures etc, rather than throwing rotten fruit at TV stars. It’s just tall poppy syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought he lived with his mother?

That’s the thing ... I never said he lived with his partner :)

Scrutiny is one thing but thread after thread on this forum is polluted with poisonous bile towards public figures, particularly Irish ones.

The lame excuse that’s normally trotted out is that “I payed me bleedin tv licence” even though the TV licence is for the production of new programmes, maintaining the TV and radio infrastructures etc, rather than throwing rotten fruit at TV stars. It’s just tall poppy syndrome.

Is that dee forbes?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Roddy Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Marty is a poor commentator, he is always making predictions instead of describing what is happening, "Austin Gleeson takes the handpass, and strikes powerfully, he's the best hurler since Cuchulainn, a giant of game, but this one is left and wide"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

She sort of spreads herself too far, imo. (*Prepares for onslaught of filthy jokes*)

Like, one minute she's a comedian (which she was winning awards for), the next she's an actress, and then TV presenter...

Like, to be great in one area, you sort of have to focus on one area. she seems too widespread.

Always found her very articulate and quick in interview. Pretty and clever!
    Had a good few belly laughs from her This Way Up show. Not sure about the stand up period. I think I am just too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Sinead O’Connor
    Claudia Winkleman
    Jeremy Clarkeson
    Fergal D’Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What's she saying?

I don't think she's funny at all and is only getting gigs because she's a woman.

Ah she is just VERY hippy. And jumps on every social justice bandwagon going.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Alan Quinlan.

No idea why but he always looks like he is about cry when Ireland lose.

Liam Cunningham.

Work with a woman who did bit of acting with him before. Not the clean image he likes portray. For me I don’t know why but find him irritating.

Anna Geary

Best of luck to her and whatever she does it seems to work, but she is on everything and everywhere and I just have turn off TV or turn away when see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cj maxx wrote: »

That's what happens when you live in an echo chamber (no matter what you're stance on anything is). Twitter would only elevate similar minded people to her so she probably things she's driving it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Alan Quinlan.

No idea why but he always looks like he is about cry when Ireland lose.

Liam Cunningham.

Work with a woman who did bit of acting with him before. Not the clean image he likes portray. For me I don’t know why but find him irritating.

Anna Geary

Best of luck to her and whatever she does it seems to work, but she is on everything and everywhere and I just have turn off TV or turn away when see her.

As i've said before Anna Geary the answer to a question no one asked.

While it would be fair enough if she was any good at all these roles, bit she's actually terrible. I would ay there are more far better people, both male and female, than her who could do a much better job but don't have a ''profile''.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

cms88 wrote: »
    As i've said before Anna Geary the answer to a question no one asked.

While it would be fair enough if she was any good at all these roles, bit she's actually terrible. I would ay there are more far better people, both male and female, than her who could do a much better job but don't have a ''profile''.

Not a nice person by all accounts.

Not a nice person by all accounts.

But she "fits the bill" perfectly for the rte 'agenda' , let's be honest, herself & dervla o rourke aren't overflowing with talent but they get tons of airtime.

• Advertisement

But she "fits the bill" perfectly for the rte 'agenda' , let's be honest, herself & dervla o rourke aren't overflowing with talent but they get tons of airtime.

What qualities would you associate with this talent thing you struggle to find in people?

Advertisement