Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being called a bully on a thread (AH)

Options
  • 08-05-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

I want to start by saying I literally never report posts. I can take my fair share but I will not take being called a bully on a thread about a missing kid!
    Yesterday and today I was called a bully, a stalker, obsessed and more on the Madeline McCann thread. Please go and read the circumstances and you'll see that I'm not a bully. I asked a poster to clarify a comment and she flipped. Again today I was called a bully. I will not tolerate being called a bully, especially on a thread like that. I'm not sure if posting here is the appropriate course of action, but I've reported all the posts and PM'd the mod, Barbie, but all that happened was we both received a warning- even though Barbie told me in PM that she knows I did nothing wrong, she just can't be seen to be taking sides.

The thread is closed now but can something be done about those posters saying that? Honestly they can't get away with the way they go on. So many posters have left that thread due to the going on of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there.

As you are not disputing a card or a ban I have move this thread to Help Desk as it is more appropriate to the nature of your issue. I will bring this thread to the attention of the Social & Fun CMods.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can someone help me with this please.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Apologies that I wasn't able to reply to your PM earlier, but I'll give you the same answer here that I would have by PM. The accusations you're making are pretty serious, so you'll need to give us a lot more to work with before anyone can look at this. There are over 1,800 posts on the thread in question, and nobody can reasonably be expected to read through all of it looking for the posts you have an issue with. You're going to need to provide links to the offending posts, as well as links to any posts of yours that these posts directly relate to. Now I realise that you mightn't be comfortable posting this stuff publicly, so you can post them on this thread and we can leave the post unapproved if you wish. If they're left unapproved I can make sure that the Social & Fun CMods get to see them as they won't have access to them here.

Hi Zaph, thanks for your response. Unfortunately I'm limited to my phone at the minute, but have copied the page where the conversation starts. It's only a few posts long.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057699688/134/#post103437367

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057699688/151

I've also copied the page where it was brought up again yesterday

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057699688/150

I know that these posts were reported by numerous posters but still no action was taken. I'm not going to tolerate being called a bully and a stalker because this person couldn't clarify a statement where she said something controversial.

If the links don't work, the posts are from Sunday at #1592 16:55, page 107-109

I'd also like to complain about the post #1801 from yesterday where I was referred to as a bully again.

.......tumbleweed...

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    .......tumbleweed...

That's a little unfair if I'm being honest. As I already stated above, there's a lot to go through and the CMods are currently looking at the thread to fully understand what's going on. As you're aware, all the mods are volunteers, so they have a lot of other stuff going on in RL. They will post here when their investigations have been completed.

Zaph wrote: »
    That's a little unfair if I'm being honest. As I already stated above, there's a lot to go through and the CMods are currently looking at the thread to fully understand what's going on. As you're aware, all the mods are volunteers, so they have a lot of other stuff going on in RL. They will post here when their investigations have been completed.

Oh sorry! Apologies so, it was just meant in jest.
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi Anna

I have been looking at this for the last 3 hours or so and am still some way from reviewing all of the data.
    Bear with us here but this will not be resolved quickly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hi Anna

I have been looking at this for the last 3 hours or so and am still some way from reviewing all of the data.
    Bear with us here but this will not be resolved quickly

That fine, no rush. Thanks for letting me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was hoping to conclude on this tonight but I have still a bit to do however I will be away until next week so it will need to wait.
    Im general on that thread I am seeing alot of childishness and name calling from numerous parties that will be actioned but can see no bullying.
    What do you want out of this thread?

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for your response. If there's name calling I wasn't a part of that. Basically I don't think it's fair that I was called a stalker and a bully when it's clear that I was none of those things. I engaged with a poster over about 5 posts at most and she threw the toys out of the pram and called me a stalker, obsessed and other names on a thread. I reported these posts as did other posters and no reproach was taken. It was then brought up again a few days later and I was called a bully again.
    Basically I'd like the two posters to be given warnings about calling someone a bully and a stalker, those are serious allegations. You said yourself there's no bullying going on so it shouldn't be let slide. You wouldn't get away with calling someone a bully in the workplace just because they asked you a question you couldn't answer. I'd like the two posters reprimanded for calling me names.

Also I'd just like to add that I pm'd Barbie on numerous occasions and outlined my disdain at being called these names in the thread and he never responded to me. The only time he responded to me was when he messaged me to say he knows I did nothing wrong but he can't be seen to be taking sides. This makes no sense to me. Not good enough, imo.

Ok I have reviewed the thread in detail and have taken action where I feel it was warranted.
    As discussed I see no evidence of bullying.

What I do see is a thread which the topic for the first half was interesting and contained robust debate whereas the the second half was a few posters getting in little digs at each other and tbh was incredibly tedious. IMO the shutdown was about 30 pages too late but the mods are being encouraged to leave the threads open so these things happen.

The jibes started at post number 1078 and seemed to escalate from there over the course of the following 800 or so posts. I am going to be straight with you and say that your behaviour on the thread was not ideal. Specifically I am talking about post numbers 1078, 1362, 1438, 1551, 1595, 1610 etc etc. I could go on as I have 7 pages of quotes from the thread that I could find issue with from just 3 or 4 posters. Any of these posts could have been carded as uncivil imo however as the mods are currently trying to moderate with a 'lighter touch' I can see why they were not actioned.

With regard to the bullying accusation as you are aware we takes that very seriously and investigate accusations thoroughly. I am not at liberty to discuss actions taken against others with yourself or in public but I have dealt with them as I thought appropriate.

What I am going to ask you to do is this
    Click on the names of the relevant individuals from whom you are having trouble.
    An option will appear saying 'add xxxxxxxx to your ignore list'. Click this.
    You will never see posts from them again.
    Please do this asap.

Thank you for your reply. I agree my conduct wasn't ideal either and I will take your comments on board and hopefully improve how I engage. It was a contentious thread and things got heated. I'm not angel I know but I'd never accuse someone of being a bully etc. Anyway thank you very much for sorting this. Is there any way this thread can be deleted now?
    Ta

We generally don't delete these threads, but I'll lock it up now and move it to the archive where it's less visible.

Thanks Pawwed Rig for the time you spent on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement