Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you keep a clean abode?

• 08-05-2017 10:45pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So how clean do you keep your dwelling? Do have the kitchen and bathroom(s) gleaming every day and a spotless living room and bedrooms?

Or are you a filthy slob who has used pizza boxes stuck to the floor and a whole pile of dirty dishes piling up in the kitchen sink? Do you think a bit of dust and clutter here and there is acceptable or does everything have to be in its right place?

Tidy or sloppy - or in-between? And have you ever visited a truly filthy house? A place you couldn't wait to get out of?

How Clean is Your Home? 51 votes

Showhouse
    0% 0 votes
    Very clean but lived in
    1% 1 vote
    Clean, but messy in places
    41% 21 votes
    A bit messy, could be cleaned more often
    31% 16 votes
    Dirty and Untidy
    23% 12 votes
    A pig sty, frankly...
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Slob, and proud with a wife who thinks she isn't but is. Not the ideal home show, it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Once I'm fit to kick a path clear through to the jax, I reckon its grand. If there's climbing over stuff involved then there's a spring clean.

not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A good clean every week. She comes on Tuesday mornings. Place looks great.

A good clean every week. She comes on Tuesday mornings. Place looks great.

Do you think if you made her come more often the place would be cleaner?

Do you think if you made her come more often the place would be cleaner?

Nah. Once it's done. I do my best to keep it somewhat respectable until the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nah. Once it's done. I do my best to keep it somewhat respectable until the next time.

Whoosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Go back and read it again. Slowly.

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Go back and read it again. Slowly.

:D

I got it. But I rose above it.

I said,

Valeyard ...no...you aint playing that game......she does a great job, very handy.

Tigger wrote: »
    Whoosh

Now you're just bragging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aye I do me best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

Clean kitchen...have to have a clean kitchen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lightly messy. Moderately filthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I had gone from living like a filthy hobo in my 20's. With me only doing the dishes when I have absolutely exhausted every single dish in the house. Laundry pilled up until I've used every single stitch of clothing I own. The house cleaned once every six months. Bedding and towels changed only when I couldn't stand their smell. I was living in Sydney at the time so I had plenty of cockroaches scurrying about.

Fast forward 20 years and I now (for some time now) clean downstairs every day, and upstairs once a week. Do the laundry 4 times a week (twice for clothes and twice for bedding and towels). Everything gets put away and the kitchen gets wiped down several times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I don't consider myself a slob because I don't like uncleanliness especially a dirty kitchen. I abore a dirty cooker and greasy frying pans etc. Un-hoovered carpets or bits on the floor don't bother me as much as they are less bacteria ridden. Having said that I often let my kitchen/living room get out of control and suddenly realise how bad it is and go on full-on cleaning spree where I find I can't stop and clean everything I can see in one session including the plugs and sockets and appliance electric cables. I wish I could get into a little and often habit rather than once a month cleaning spree.

On the other hand I have a friend who has an apartment that looks like something you see in a show room or a magazine, at all times. The couple do unusual things like the forks in the cutlery tray will be all aligned up fitting snugly together and in the fridge they place every food item placed neatly in order from the front to the back and the glass trays would be still 'see through' as if it were brand new. They are not OCD, they are just OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beware the spotless abode, it's a near certainly the person living there is not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The place is messy but not dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

We're vile and so must employ a cleaner to clear up our mess. By being thoroughly disgusting we're supporting jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

2400724.main_image.jpg?strip=all
    Now you're just bragging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Like Biko.
    The place is a constant mess, but it is kept hygienically clean (not meaning super-clean either, just normal clean).

On one hand, I don't care. There's more to life than a tidy abode, and it's a friendlier place, with no airs and where familiar people feel familiar, and new people drop their guard.
    Spotless, minimalist places freak me out a bit, and I never feel comfortable in them.

On the other hand, I spend my time complaining about the mess, and attempting to get the other humans living here to do their bit. It's not working. :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I live in my pig sty.

Though I am in the process of a Spring clean, and YES: May is still Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

I keep my lil abode middlin'. Enjoy cleaning & listening to moosic of a weekend.

...Except when I'm in a depression slump. Then it *can* look like a bum lives here. I managed to spend all day today cleaning, but I only got the kitchen & bathroom done- THAT'S how bad it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In between. It really depends on what else is going on. This nice run of good weather means all of the washing in the house is done, curtains, bedclothes, pillows, cushion covers. All lovely and fresh. But I haven't cleaned the floors properly in a few days with the toddler traipsing in and out all day it seems there is no point. In saying that I try to do a different room deep clean every week.

We have guests coming for the weekend so the place will be spruced up by then.

I would love to have one of those houses that is always "guest ready". You know, where you don't have to panic clean when someone texts to say that they're in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I have a woman so the place is usually clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Our place is normally in great shape. She is more picky about the cleaning than I am. I am more picky about tidying up than she is. So on balance we have the place just right.

Sometimes a good deep clean is very relaxing though. Not a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As someone else posted - i had a total change of heart at around 27 years old. I used to live in chaos, messy (never dirty) but i was just really careless with everything and could happily fall into a bed and sleep on top of a bundle of laundry etc. My car was a mobile microcosm of my house - full of clothes and random junk. People were afraid to take lifts from me in case they were smothered by clutter.

Now i am very tidy and organised. I cannot cope with mess/things out of place. I dont know what changed really but i much prefer how i am now - it gives me a clear head and i feel way less stressed when the place is in order.

I clean maybe twice a week - himself does the same. Laundry is kept on top of and i do enjoy looking at the place when its cleaned and tidied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

You could eat your dinner off the floors.
    I wouldn't recommend it but if you like dirt and germs and dog hairs then be my guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Slob, and proud with a wife who thinks she isn't but is. Not the ideal home show, it is not.

Like you and your good wife our house is not a showhouse it's a home...and we're happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm very tidy, but not particularly clean so things like dusting can go undone for a while but my wife is the opposite, very clean but not tidy.

Some might say we would work well together.......but that's a lie and it's a constant battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I wouldn't be the tidiest or a daily cleaner but my wife is approaching OCD level.

Plus we've two young boys so overall, it balances out.

I've come around to making more effort and I think she (most of the time) realizes the futility of trying to keep a family home looking like a show house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Jupiter planet, this thread is missing a pole!
    You should have:
    How do you keep your abode?

Spotless
    Tidy
    Grubby
    Shi+hole

or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

I spend my time doing things that make me happy instead of cleaning. I feel more comfortable living somewhere that feels lived in rather than somewhere that looks like a museum and everyone's afraid to relax - friend of mine grew up ina a hous elike that, very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Messy, but not dirty. Every now and then I'll stuff the clutter back in a cupboard and hoover. I try to keep on top of the kitchen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Place gets a good going over once a week

A house that looks like a clean room is not a home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I work long hours but I do what I can to keep the place clean. In times of stress the place can be quite untidy. In extremely busy times the place is bordering unhygenic. 90% of visitors call to my house during untidy time. The other 10% call when the house is at its worst : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a big difference between mess and dirt, imo.

Having said that, the older I get, the more clutter bothers me. There's always runners at the bottom of the stairs and a book or three (mine) lying around the house but that would be the extent of it.

In terms of cleaning, we keep everything in hand daily and have a cleaner who comes in once a week for two hours to do the hoovering and "proper" clean. I change my bedclothes every fortnight. Laundry is done every time there's a full load of a particular wash (whites, darks, colours, etc) in the basket. I don't iron, but my sister does. I do all the cooking so the clean-up from that generally falls to me too. I also own a *lot* of books and my sister refuses to dust the shelves so I get stuck with that too. Even though it's all her photos on the top of the shelves *rolly eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I keep the place very clean, neat and tidy. What really grinds my gears is how some people will allow their dogs into their houses, such filthy disgusting animals should be kept outdoors. I have an acute sense of smell and can instantly tell if I'm in a house where dogs sleep inside with their owners. Like buy a dog kennel or keep them in a shed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

I have teenagers.
    Upstairs looks like we've been broken into.
    :)

Doltanian wrote: »
    I keep the place very clean, neat and tidy. What really grinds my gears is how some people will allow their dogs into their houses, such filthy disgusting animals should be kept outdoors. I have an acute sense of smell and can instantly tell if I'm in a house where dogs sleep inside with their owners. Like buy a dog kennel or keep them in a shed or something.

I'd prefer my house to smell of dog than of bleach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

The key to a clean house is no pets indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Lightly messy. Moderately filthy.

Like my lass !

• Advertisement

The key to a clean house is no pets indoors.

Disagree. No children is the key: toys everywhere, place smells like milk puke and dirty nappies...

kylith wrote: »
    Disagree. No children is the key: toys everywhere, place smells like milk puke and dirty nappies...

I'd rather human smells than animal shiit or puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I always found that putting the dirty nappies in the bin helped immeasurably.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Poll duly added people!

OCD clean freak or filthy slob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Clean kitchen and sitting room, bathroom is decent and then every other room door is closed cos I could not be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The house used to be spotless, then when we had kids it was only spotless when people came to visit. Giving the false impression that the house was always like that.

Now that one of them is a teenager, it's got worse, her room is fcuking disgusting. And stuff is dumped everywhere...all over the place. Up stairs, downstairs....everywhere. No amount of giving out solves the problem. Same with the younger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I like everything to have a place and be in its place and I like things very clean.

That's what my head wants but I can be messy. Not dirty though.

I would get very panicky if someone called to the door and there were dishes not done or something.

I have a housekeeper of sorts the last short while and she has improved my life no end. I've so much less stress since she started with me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've got a 13 year old and an 18 month old, so place is never tidy. Coupled with the fact that my house is literally a building site, it's actually not too bad!

I'd rather human smells than animal shiit or puke.

If your dog is shiitting in the house then you're doing something wrong.

If your dog is shiitting in the house then you're doing something wrong.

i don't keep a dog in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement