Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing brake pads

• 08-05-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

So went for the quick fix option on changing the pads today... typical that i couldnt get the new pads in. looks like the wheel and caliper are going to have to come off now. Think I'll need to lose some fluid from the reservoir too. Hate it when you start a job but can't finish it because of stupid crap like that.

Any tips on rearwheel removal, caliper removal and brake bleeding (to get the pistons back in), is more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why exactly do you need to take the whole wheel off?

Changing just the pads is a very simple and easy job, you should always take the calipers off in anyway to give it a look over make sure all is okay and give it a clean, bit of copper grease etc.....but taking the whole wheel off!

Come over to me I service the whole bike for you, mates rates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Are you using the correct pads ? As Wonda said no need for a wheel to come off.

Get into halfords or online and buy the Haynes Manual for the bike too, great investment for any lad doing their own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Why exactly do you need to take the whole wheel off?

Changing just the pads is a very simple and easy job, you should always take the calipers off in anyway to give it a look over make sure all is okay and give it a clean, bit of copper grease etc.....but taking the whole wheel off!

Come over to me I service the whole bike for you, mates rates!

Wonda's garage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

HAHA, think the best way to get the caliper off is wheel and all. It's ABS so the caliper mount is on the axle once the wheel is off I should also have the caliper off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As said, no need for the wheel to come off..what bike is it..??

CBF1000 Max as far as I know.

I have no idea what way you are coming at this Jamie....you are making a ton of work for yourself.

But you deffo dont need to take any wheels of to get the caliper off. Also, the ABS sensor is not mounted on the caliper (that I know off) its a standalone wire to the sensor mounted below the caliper positioned at the middle core of the brake disc/wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiMpu6V9-k&t=198s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

but if you take the wheel off, you'll need to take the chain off the rear sprocket too - best take the swingarm and engine out as a unit imo

yeah in for a penny in for a pound....I am off out now to change the bulbs, need to take the head of the engine first to get at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just go on the motorway for 4 hours and the caliper will remove itself like on my bike

• Advertisement

Great help! :D

Yes, this should be a simple 20 min jobby, that was the plan, I removed the pad holding pin and old pads, great, 5 minutes ahead of schedule.... but I cannot get the new pads back in, the pistons aren't blocking them, there is a spring or something that must have moved and the only way to get at it is by removing the caliper. The way i see it, its actually easier removing the wheel to get to the caliper than removing the caliper on its own. Wheel is one bolt but the caliper is at least 3 and some other bits too.

Anyway going to tackle it again after work. I'll keep you posted ya wunch of bankers!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Lol cue the post "my bikes in bits how do I put it back together" or "got it done but have this bit here left over, do I need it?"

:pac:

You were cutting corners taking the easy path, when you took the old pads out the pistons will be closer to the disc because of the wear and the thin pads coming out. The new pads will be a lot thicker and wont fit in until you push the pistons back which you wont be able to do as the caliper is still on the bike!!!

Crack the pin open holding the pads on the bike as its harder to do when caliper is off in your hand.

Gentle tap of a hammer to loosen up the bolts, should not be that tight. If you need to get an extension bar out to give you a bit extra to open the bolts, they could be thread locked by previous owner.

If you take the back wheel off it might be one large nut but you have the hassle then of redoing the chain adjustment and the torque settings. And if you put the wheel back on arse ways you are in a world off hurt.

Ah the pistons were pushed in and set home, I needed to open the reservoir to get them all the way in. But it's a good shout.

So got the pads on without all the other faffing about. My approach yesterday was probably too gung ho and tried just persuading the pads in. The final mm or 2 i needed the pads to move into the caliper required precision, finesse and a gentle touch, none of which I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I always use the old pads and vice grips to push the pistons back up...remember to take the reservoir cap off, then bleed the new pads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

So did you remove the engine yet?

You finished washing your tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Everything on my bike is sparkling as it lives under a cover. One day it may see light again :D

I see a the perfect opportunity for a business venture here lads......long term storage, upon retrieval, serviced by zubair.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

zubair wrote: »
    You finished washing your tyres?

Quality response, tea keyboard moment!!

• Advertisement

I think I have inadvertently created the best thread on boards!

Advertisement