Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired or Wireless for refurb

Options
  • 08-05-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Currently looking at a full refurb (including rewire) in the new (to us) house. Currently there's an ancient phonewatch system (ancient as in it has about 5 buttons and has long since had the mains disconnected, so I can only imagine what kind of gremlins it has).

Do folks have a general opinion on going full wireless? Rather than re-using the wiring or re-doing it, I'm tempted to just rip it out or snip it off and go wireless everywhere (we'd be extending so it'd involve new sensors anyway). I had one or two contact sensors on battery in a previous place without any hassle, what would be the downsides? Any interference or hacking issues? Or at this point is the wire purely so you don't have to go around fiddling with batteries every few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Go for rewiring as you have the choice. You cannot beat the reliability of a physical connection between your control panel and devices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1
    Wired would be the first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Currently looking at a full refurb (including rewire) in the new (to us) house. Currently there's an ancient phonewatch system (ancient as in it has about 5 buttons and has long since had the mains disconnected, so I can only imagine what kind of gremlins it has).

Do folks have a general opinion on going full wireless? Rather than re-using the wiring or re-doing it, I'm tempted to just rip it out or snip it off and go wireless everywhere (we'd be extending so it'd involve new sensors anyway). I had one or two contact sensors on battery in a previous place without any hassle, what would be the downsides? Any interference or hacking issues? Or at this point is the wire purely so you don't have to go around fiddling with batteries every few years?

A hybrid system can also be used if you feel some of the wiring is usable then add wire free devices to areas that may not have wiring.

Advertisement