Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to become a teacher?

Options
  • 09-05-2017 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I am graduating this year with a degree in nursing which I am extremely unhappy doing! I have thought long and hard about changing careers and I have decided to do primary school teaching . I am 23 years of age and by the time I start the Hibernian course I will be 24 because I will be repeating leaving cert Irish. Meaning I will be 26 when finishing the Hibernian. Am I too old? Taking into account that most newly qualified teachers have to sub for about 5 years before they get a permanent position? I would like to be settled in a permanent position and married by 30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hi
    I am graduating this year with a degree in nursing which I am extremely unhappy doing! I have thought long and hard about changing careers and I have decided to do primary school teaching . I am 23 years of age and by the time I start the Hibernian course I will be 24 because I will be repeating leaving cert Irish. Meaning I will be 26 when finishing the Hibernian. Am I too old? Taking into account that most newly qualified teachers have to sub for about 5 years before they get a permanent position? I would like to be settled in a permanent position and married by 30.

I have friends who have changed careers in their 40s and 50s so no, you are not too old. You have 40 years of working life ahead of you.

As for getting settled in a job this is down to several factors, including a bit of luck. If you think it's for you, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I just started a pme in secondary teaching and I'm 31. I'm nowhere near to being the oldest in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nursetoteacher

sullivlo wrote: »
    I just started a pme in secondary teaching and I'm 31. I'm nowhere near to being the oldest in the class.
    Thanks for the reply, I feel much better now! How many is in your class, and is the Hibernian course hard to get into?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Hi

Permanent job and married by 30 why you putting this pressure on your self?

Advertisement