Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of 'substitute friends'?

• 09-05-2017 1:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

As long as you've plenty of money as well as variety in your life, and that you're constantly achieving and developing as a person - then is it okay to have substitute friends? Assuming that substitute friends are easy to keep around, or that you could have a constant stream of them. But as long as you've got someone (or something) to fill that void, isn't that enough?

Thankfully for me, a lot of stuff as come together in my live lately. But there seems to be a difference between me and others I've known growing up - which is, that after a decade or more passes, the people who seem to have remained their best friends are the ones that they either went to high school or played sports with. This is not the case for me. But one thing I've noticed about myself, is that when I travel and meet folks in hostels, my social status seems to be higher, in comparison to acquaintants back home.

On the other hand, in movies and TV shows, it's often as if each character doesn't have any family! Particularly in the likes of the CSIs and the Law & Orders. It's like they're all orphans or something! I'd often be watching these shows, and think "wow, they've none of those bullsh1t obligatory family occasions!" In the movies, you could get some fella asking a semi stranger being asked to be his best man!

I guess you can tell a lot about a person based on how far back they go with they're friends, and I guess ultimately this might be something that'll be highlighted at future obligatory family occasions. Perhaps I'd also like to be able to give the illusion to my friends that "oh by the way, I've got other friends too that I'm closer to" as would be the impression I get from them.

But who knows, maybe day some I'll get married, and I'll be a case of "you guys are the only friends I have"! I can picture my wedding being so awkward! If it were to happen, I'd love to just fcuk off and do it quietly somewhere! But what normal minded woman would be okay with that?!

As a side note, I think permanent friends are something that's more important to women. As in, if a guy were to move to a different city, he wouldn't start calling up his friend from back home twice a week talking about his feelings.

Share thoughts

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Tldr you like cake op?

I still have the same question before and after reading that; what's a substitute friend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭FaceTurnedAway

I still have the same question before and after reading that; what's a substitute friend?
    it's when the ball you kick is coming back off the wall u kicked it at, as opposed to from the person you kicked it to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I thought what he meant was when the first choice friends aren't available, giving the lower-tier "reserve" team friends a call.

porto-alegre-brazil-30th-june-2014-germanys-substitute-players-christoph-E3XPNA.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Football friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I got as far as this and gave up...

'when I travel and meet folks in hostels, is that my social status seems to go up, in comparison to acquaintants back home'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Are friends electric?

gramar wrote: »
    I got as far as this and gave up...

'when I travel and meet folks in hostels, is that my social status seems to go up, in comparison to acquaintants back home'

I don't know what that means either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OP, you've come to the right forum, it's just that the right people aren't here yet to offer up the warm, friendly expert advice that you would expect from After Hours users.

• Advertisement

I don't know what that means either
    He took it out of context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

He took it out of context.

WHAT ARE SUBSTITUTE FRIENDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The OP sounds like it was spoken by Siri in Mandarin into google translate before being posted here.

WHAT ARE SUBSTITUTE FRIENDS
    you're just echoing the words of the poster above! Sheep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

you're just echoing the words of the poster above! Sheep!

^^I may see where your having difficulty in the friend department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Perhaps this approach works when they are substitute friends?

I genuinely don't know what you mean by the social status thing.

Your social status is seemingly higher when you meet people in hostels? Does this mean you are more popular amongst strangers? You consider yourself more successful than people at home, specifically when meeting people in hostels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Yes and no, they fill an immediate void but to have a strong connection with someone takes time to build and you can't build it with everyone but I imagine its different to everyone. I have friends in my home town and friends from college, but I notice a difference with my friends back home. They are going to be professional musicians and I'm going on to be a solicitor. I'm still good friends but not as close as we once were when I'd be playing in bands. It's a shame really. All that could change when I start taking my music seriously again.........

I genuinely don't know what you mean by the social status thing.
    well at least you know what substitute friends are!
    Your social status is seemingly higher when you meet people in hostels? Does this mean you are more popular amongst strangers?
    Of course that's what it means! I guess I'm hinting at the fact you're judged by your past.
    You consider yourself more successful than people at home, specifically when meeting people in hostels
    that'd be reading into it too much.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Yes and no, they fill an immediate void but to have a strong connection with someone takes time to build and you can't build it with everyone but I imagine its different to everyone. I have friends in my home town and friends from college, but I notice a difference with my friends back home. They are going to be professional musicians and I'm going on to be a solicitor. I'm still good friends but not as close as we once were when I'd be playing in bands. It's a shame really. All that could change when I start taking my music seriously again.........
    People are beginning to take me seriously! Perhaps I met you in a hostel!

I hope you find time for the music as you say. It could be hard to get time.

• Advertisement

^^I may hear why you like being in caves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Will they always be your substitute? Whenever they need you?

woh woh

Will they always be your substitute? Whenever they need you?
    woh woh
    well they don't have to be!

Gravelly wrote: »
    The OP sounds like it was spoken by Siri in Mandarin into google translate before being posted here.
    That is not true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That is not true

Ah, I get you now. My old old friend. I have had to loom for a substitute, you were away so long. Welcome back!

Ah, I get you now. My old old friend. I have had to loom for a substitute, you were away so long. Welcome back!
    ah yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Can I have those 90 seconds back from reading the nonsense OP? Please.

As in, when a guy moves to a different city, he wouldn't start calling up his friend from back home twice a week talking about their feelings.

U ok hun? xx

• Advertisement

Glenster wrote: »
    Can I have those 90 seconds back from reading the nonsense OP? Please.
    Leave it marinate.

U ok hun? xx
    ah that was like the only typo in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Glad we cleared that up. This has been enlightening.

Winterlong wrote: »
    Glad we cleared that up. This has been enlightening.
    Perhaps I should have put it in the relationship and personal issues forum!

Gravelly wrote: »
    Perhaps this approach works when they are substitute friends?
    ah yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Yeah me too.

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I was going to say "I'll have what he's having" but on reflection, maybe not.

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Yeah me too.

WTF?
    What's with all these cynical answers? It's a far more unique thread than the other one I came across you in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Are these the friends you call when the besties aren't available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

High school?

High school?
    I was planning on putting it on another website originally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Is there an offside friend rule as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's been a while since I read an OP and still wasn't any the wiser what the fúck it was about when I'd finished.

OP. Look at me when I'm talking to you!

OP. Look at me when I'm talking to you!
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

I had to go through many hoops before I could register on boards. Eventually I managed contacting someone from boards admin to help guide me through the process of unlocking access as I was seemingly entering via a foreign IP address, or stuck behind a firewall, some unusual configuration preventing me from doing so and despite routing through proxy servers, I finally managed to get in through a back door incognito style. I wonder about that a lot OP.

koumi wrote: »
    I had to go through many hoops before I could register on boards. Eventually I managed contacting someone from boards admin to help guide me through the process of unlocking access as I was seemingly entering via a foreign IP address, or stuck behind a firewall, some unusual configuration preventing me from doing so and despite routing through proxy servers, I finally managed to get in through a back door incognito style. I wonder about that a lot OP.
    So you mean if you tried incognito style first day, it would've worked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

So you mean if you tried incognito style first day, it would've worked?

yeah I think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Is this a game where someone throws out a phrase and people have to respond with a one word answer? If so....twat.

No

I said look at me! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement