Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T5 camper vrt

Options
  • 09-05-2017 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anyone any idea how much the vrt on a VW transporter van converted to a camper would cost. I know its a very general question but as the vrt office won't give a quote until you're locked into the process, any experience of this would be a help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

riverdunce wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea how much the vrt on a VW transporter van converted to a camper would cost. I know its a very general question but as the vrt office won't give a quote until you're locked into the process, any experience of this would be a help.

Thanks
    I'd guess 13.3% of 15k for a basic tin top conversion to 20k for a really nice poptop.

Thanks
    I'd guess 13.3% of 15k for a basic tin top rock n roll side kitchen conversion to 13.3% of 20k for a really nice poptop conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riverdunce

Thanks for the reply crabbypaddy, i should have been more specific. I know about the 13.3%, i was just wondering if anyone had actually gone through it or had heard of someone that did and had an actual figure that was charged. Are they inclined to overvalue or are they fair?

Thanks for the reply crabbypaddy, i should have been more specific. I know about the 13.3%, i was just wondering if anyone had actually gone through it or had heard of someone that did and had an actual figure that was charged. Are they inclined to overvalue or are they fair?

Its a random number generator. I thought my valuation was fair, father in law was overvalued by about 7k. You can contest the valuation with supporting evidence such as adverts for similar vans. T5s tend to be totally overvalued on the ad sites though so that might be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GavFitz

Mine was 1750 for my 06 t5 camper about 3 months ago

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

GavFitz wrote: »
    Mine was 1750 for my 06 t5 camper about 3 months ago

Hope that helps!

Cheers, was that a tintop?

Yeah mine is a Tintop, 06 swb if that makes any difference ?

GavFitz wrote: »
    Yeah mine is a Tintop, 06 swb if that makes any difference ?

Cheers, Its just for the record people are always asking vrt questions so its nice to have context.

€1750 plus the original commercial VRT paid €50 = €1800
    So Rosslare valued 11 year old SWB Tintop T5 conversion at €13500

Thanks GavFitz, exactly what i was looking for.......and OUCH!!! Reckon i'll leave it as a 1.9 private for now. Anyone know if a caravelle/shuttle has been converted and what that cost VRT wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

On this whole issue, I have submitted my conversion to the revenue for VRT and am waiting for the bill. Been two weeks now - anyone know how long they typically take to issue the assessment. If it runs on for another week I will have to get another DOE for the insurance.

Stephen

• Advertisement

Shoog wrote: »
    On this whole issue, I have submitted my conversion to the revenue for VRT and am waiting for the bill. Been two weeks now - anyone know how long they typically take to issue the assessment. If it runs on for another week I will have to get another DOE for the insurance.

Stephen

Call them and explain that they are ok to deal with.

If you dont mind Shoog you might let us know how you get on.

OK got my VRT assessment on the 94 T4. It took just shy of 3weeks. Was valued at €3500.00 with a VRT bill of €415. Much better than I expected.

So next step is insurance. Going to try Carol Nash who do a special VW camper policy. Noticing that Stewarts and Dolman are still waving the 1.8m height figure in their literature - and they are insisting on an engineers report. How is the SQI statement materially different from an engineers report - since it was an engineer who issued the compliance statement ?

Stephen

OK got my VRT assessment on the 94 T4. It took just shy of 3weeks. Was valued at €3500.00 with a VRT bill of €415. Much better than I expected.

So next step is insurance. Going to try Carol Nash who do a special VW camper policy. Noticing that Stewarts and Dolman are still waving the 1.8m height figure in their literature - and they are insisting on an engineers report. How is the SQI statement materially different from an engineers report - since it was an engineer who issued the compliance statement ?

Stephen

I got the SQI to fill out the dolmen one at the same time. Let us know how you get on with carole nash.

OK turns out that Carole Nash only offer insurance on T4 & T5 campers in the UK. They offer insurance on classic 1970's T2's in Ireland.
    Stewarts have refused to quote based on roof height. I asked how this was legal on a legally registered Camper - but obviously they just said it was.

So since Dolmens will sing the same song, I have few options but to go back to the MotorHome club. Found them ignorant to deal with last time I made inquires, but I have an intermediary to intercede so it might go better this time.

Any other successful experiences would be great.

Stephen

I've heard that if you join the national camper club (not the actual title) that its easier to get insurance.

Thanks GavFitz, exactly what i was looking for.......and OUCH!!! Reckon i'll leave it as a 1.9 private for now. Anyone know if a caravelle/shuttle has been converted and what that cost VRT wise?
    No problem happy to help

Its my first camper so I had to try suss it all out myself so if it helps someone else great!

Looked at the IVETA, they have a category in its website which is aimed at Vintage campers in the age range 20-25yrs. However it seems that their website is out of date and they now only offer camper covert for 30+ years campers.

Running out of options.

Stephen

A word of warning, if you have any intention of using the MCC of Ireland for insurance be very careful how you approach him (since it is a fiefdom of one you are dealing with). They banned me from becoming a member for simply asking for clarification about an ambiguity in their literature regarding the 1.8m head height rule. So step lightly and be prepared to brown your nose if you want their assistance.

Shoog

A status update.
    After a bit of a misunderstanding we got insurance with FBD via the IVETA, they were quite relaxed about the details in the end. So if you are stuck and your camper is at least 20years old then I suggest giving them a punt.

Shoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Just picked up a 05' 2.5 LWB. It's an ex-ESB van. The yellow is gas!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody new anything about restrictors on ex-ESB vans. Loses all acceleration at 110km. Not the turbo or the EGR valve according to the mechanic.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know how to deal with Revenue wanting receipts for the conversion when sending off pictures and engineer's report.

I did all the work myself and probably haven't got most of the receipts for materials used.
    How sticky are them in this Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

A status update.
    After a bit of a misunderstanding we got insurance with FBD via the IVETA, they were quite relaxed about the details in the end. So if you are stuck and your camper is at least 20years old then I suggest giving them a punt.

Shoog

What are the terms and conditions like - I thought that insurance was for attending vintage rallies only?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Includes SD & P but third party only AFAIK

http://www.iveta.ie/index.php/insurance
    VINTAGE TRUCKS, FIRE BRIGADES, AMBULANCES, CAMPERS, > 1 TON VANS.
    THIRD PARTY COVER MAX (GCW 10 TONS)

Vintage 25 years & over Vintage Use / SD & P ONLY €170.00
    Vintage 20 – 24 years Vintage Use / SD & P ONLY €260.00

[font=ABeeZee, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

Advertisement