Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent A Room & RPZ

Options
  • 09-05-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Quick question, is rent a room subject to the RPZ regulations? I'm 99% sure it's not but can't find any site backing that up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    Quick question, is rent a room subject to the RPZ regulations? I'm 99% sure it's not but can't find any site backing that up!

If the landlord is living in the dwelling the RPZ does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

If the landlord is living in the dwelling the RPZ does not apply.

Thanks Claw Hammer..Do you by chance have link to support that. I just can't find it written anywhere?

RPZs apply to tenancies, rent a room is not a tenancy nor is it subject to any tenancy laws so it simply can't be part of the RPZ rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Can someone advise me. I am a landlord of a three bed house in a new RPZ, renting it out room by room - i dont live there myself.
    I had a tenant since July 2016 renting one of the rooms for 250pm, that has just left. I want to rent this room out again, but want the market value, approx €320pm
    Since this is a new new tenant, do i need to follow the RPZ calculator? And if so, what inputs would be correct for the calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

For a new tenant, the rent can be put up immediately regardless of when the previous tenant's last rent review took place, but only by 4% from what the previous tenant was last paying, so you can increase it to €260 for a new tenant now. You can perform a rent review 12 months after your new tenant's tenancy begins and increase it by another 4% at that time, and again each year thereafter (until the rules change again).

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    For a new tenant, the rent can be put up immediately regardless of when the previous tenant's last rent review took place, but only by 4% from what the previous tenant was last paying, so you can increase it to €260 for a new tenant now. You can perform a rent review 12 months after your new tenant's tenancy begins and increase it by another 4% at that time, and again each year thereafter (until the rules change again).

It can go up more than 4% how much depends on the dates exactly. If the previous tenant started on 01/01/2016 then the rent can go to 285.

Calculator here
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/legislation-change?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuICLpdvw4wIVybTtCh1L9Ae7EAAYASAAEgJVMPD_BwE

Advertisement