Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New winter bike or new Race bike

Options
  • 09-05-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

So I've already decided the answer is a new bike. Now which new bike. Going to do some bike racing next year and have my bike to work available again. Choice is either a Cannondale Caad12 for racing on next year or a Cannondale Synapse or Cannondale Caad optimo as a winter bike.

I already have a nice bike and have a Scott CR1 pro frameset too. So I either buy a race bike and convert the scott to a winter bike or buy a winter bike and convert the scott to a race bike. All the new bikes are in and around the same price. Will be sticking with cannondale, have a supersix as my good bike and I love it so will be something cannondale.

So what do people in here think, Usually I'd know myself but I really can't decide this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Old race bike as winter bike is cool. CAAD12 as race bike is cool.

Be cool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If those are your only options, the CAAD12 it is (sans disks)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    If those are your only options, the CAAD12 it is (sans disks)
    Considering a similar attempt at racing next year - what would be the similar/ maybe better options to the CAAD12 (or whatever 2018's will be) in a similar ballpark? TCR Advanced is the other one on my radar.

I was going with me being a newbie racing, I'd be more liable to crash
    - whenever I mention I'm thinking about it I get regaled with horror stories about A4 or Vets, (my plan is club races first) - so I was thinking aluminium would be more robust.

However, google gives links to people suggesting the CAAD12 frame has shaved weight so much that there might be the difference in that regard as I might've imagined.

CAAD12 looks lovely though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lots of manufacturers do lovely alu bikes. Riding a Stevens myself and there is no perceptible difference in weight compared to the other people in Limit in my club league, the weight on the engine is the only weight factor having an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I was purposely looking for an alu bike too. Liked the look of the specialized allez sprint DSW but unfortunately Specialized are not supplying any dealers in Ireland until they get their own store open.

Canyon ultimate AL is nice too and the Bowman Palace R. Don't have the bike to work on them though. Palace R is a gorgeous bike, geometry is very similar to the caad 12.

My main bike is a supersix, I wasn't sold on the looks of it but it's a lovely bike to cycle. Corners really well, climbs well and is comfortable. I've used a fair few other bikes before it (Lapierre, Eddie Merckx, Scott) and found it by far the most comfortable. Main reason why I'm looking at the caad 12 to be honest.

Similar price range in carbon I was looking at the TCR too and an Orbea, think it was one of the entry M spec's.

I reckon though your better off with a very good ALU frame than a basic spec carbon frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It may be restricted by your employer but Canyon can be used on BTW scheme I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Unfortunately it is restricted by my employer, they have a list of bike shops that they will deal with and that's it. Old employer had canyon and about 100 other bike shops, this one about 10 in Dublin. Not too bad though, was going for a Cannondale anyway and my local bike shop is included on the list so I'm happy to give them the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I have the caad 9 myself and I really like it, a mixture, aluminium frame, carbon forks, seat post, saddle, handlebars and cranks, with ultegra groupset .

Getting a carbon to support my 25 years old Raparee steel frame with Dura ace groupset.
    Going for the Trek emonda SL6 pro. The Raparee will be my winter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Just purchased a cadd 12 great bike . Very light and comfortable . A decent wheelset is next on the list .

Advertisement