Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froome hit and run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Sure it wasn't Alberto Contador driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How's he going to train for TDF when his bike is totalled, maybe he's eligible for the BTW scheme and can get a new one soon.

Wonder will he be selling those wheels too, must keep an eye on ebay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't Alberto Contador driving?

Wiggo has a lot of time on his hands these days, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

No doubt the driver probably yelled "bloody Tour de France wannabe" out the window as he drove off or some other such witticism. Hopefully he will be caught and prosecuted

Probably yelled "I still harbour doubts about your late career meteoric rise to cycling megastardom!"

(By the way, I also hope the book is thrown at the driver and that Froome is uninjured.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty mental thing to do all the same. He must have a fair oul list of enemies though, any Tonya Harding wannabes in the peleton?

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/861860980430696448

• Advertisement

Wiggo has a lot of time on his hands these days, right?

That was my first thought, but I'd figured that Wiggo would be riding a multi headlighted Vespa in a Quadrophenia-stylee rather than driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

How long does he have to wait for the team car to get to him? Will neutral service do, or should he just run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

check_six wrote: »
    That was my first thought, but I'd figured that Wiggo would be riding a multi headlighted Vespa in a Quadrophenia-stylee rather than driving a car.

The smell of stale cigarettes wafting behind would give him away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Was the driver driving a Skoda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7BzCbDdiaI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Haven't seen one news agency saying the word "claimed" or "apparently"

I'm not doubting this happened and the situation behind it - but - regurgitating what someone tweeted is not solid/reliable reporting (cast minds back to the video of the girl in london following the van after being (apparently) harassed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Bet it was a van driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

jameshayes wrote: »

I'm not doubting this happened and the situation behind it - but - regurgitating what someone tweeted is not solid/reliable reporting (cast minds back to the video of the girl in london following the van after being (apparently) harassed)

Yeah you're right, he obviously just hit a pothole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure hasn't the team sky bus been known to buzz cyclists? how ironic would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

jameshayes wrote: »

Well they're not accusing anyone of anything. They are reporting what Froome has tweeted. If the transgressor was named or something that's when that sort of language comes into the mix.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looks like he's OK, so I'll merge this into the "near misses" thread

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

any sign of the shimano neutral service car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Particularly after what happened Scarponi good to see he escaped ok. Driver sounds a psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

neris wrote: »
    any sign of the shimano neutral service car?
    He didn't wait - he's currently running home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are we sure he wasn't looking at his stem and caused the crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Beasty wrote: »
    Looks like he's OK, so I'll merge this into the "near misses" thread

:pac:

be sure to reply to his tweet and let him know you've had a worse crash too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Good laughs, but it shows you how fuc**** vunerable we are.
    Zero respect from the majority of motorists, when 2 Pro cyclists have been involved in incidents while training !

The only coverage we get is negative ... Deaths, 'accidents' or blamed....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

If the driver has mounted the pavement and deliberately struck Froome with his vehicle then the minimum charge should be assault with a deadly weapon but, given the lethality of motor vehicles, attempted murder wouldn't be a massive stretch of the legal terminology.

"Chris Froome knocked down in hit and run by random individual." = "Sure it's just a fact of life. Drivers are terrible. They hate cyclists. Cyclists think they own the road. This kind of incident is commonplace and accepted in society."

"Random individual stabs British sporting hero Chris Froome." = "Has the attacker been caught? What was the motive? Were there any eye witnesses? Has the weapon been found? Was this just a random attack or were they targeting Froome specifically? Is there a psycho on the loose attacking people on bicycles? Should cyclists be worried? Has the national terror threat level been raised?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Was he wearing high vis? Would wearing it have made him safer? Its common sense it would have in this situation.... Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The benefits High-Viz were canceled out by him wearing headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Lucky he didn't get find 40 quid for cycling on the pavement if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The benefits High-Viz were canceled out by him wearing headphones.

This wouldn't have happened if Froomy paid road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Grassey wrote: »
    Was he wearing high vis? Would wearing it have made him safer? Its common sense it would have in this situation.... Right?
    Men in Black jokes probably against the charter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Shabby workmanship

Am sorry for Froome on this. The wheels look destroyed.. If he is throwing out the Dogma frame I'll pay the shipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

.. If he is throwing out the Dogma frame I'll pay the shipping!

Was thinking the same. But then I noticed the top tube is mangled. I'd still take the groupset though - I'm sure that it would be an upgrade on my current Tiagra :P

• Advertisement

Was thinking the same. But then I noticed the top tube is mangled.

I dunno, there are some quare angles on a Dogma frame when it hasn't been mangled. This dent may just be a design flourish!

Advertisement