Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Free' pre-school years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FMLUCAS

Hi dear.

Would be with you making noise.

Our daughter turned 3 in March 2017. She was born 21st March 2014 which would make her eligible for the scheme according to the calculator.

The creche/Montessori Kids where she has been attending for about 2 years is said to have to have ECCE scheme, however we haven't been approached or invited to pay the adjusted lesser fees. Was briefly said they wouldn't register her until September's.

Would like to know if this is a common practice or should I seek legal advice. I am fuming thinking they are perhaps fooling us over the fact we are foreign parents? My understanding we should jave payed the discounted price for April/May considering the 3 hours per day/ 5 days a week since April for 13 weeks thru June.

F.M Lucas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sept,January and April are the registration months so they should be able to register her in April.
    My youngest is an April baby so I need to wait until Sept.

I wouldn't be seeking legal advice but you could print this - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/early_childhood_care_and_education_scheme.html

Is it a creche as in will she attend through the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

My daughter was born on 31/12/12 and misses out on a second ECCE year by appprox 7 hours.

She will be starting Junior infants in Sept aged 4.8 years. She could have benefited with a second pre school year as she has mild dyspraxia.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

FMLUCAS wrote: »
    Our daughter turned 3 in March 2017. She was born 21st March 2014 which would make her eligible for the scheme according to the calculator.

Our daughter turned 3 on 21st March and is in her free ECCE place since 3rd April.

Yes, you are being charged incorrectly. Did you ask for your daughter to be registered to the ECCE scheme? With a lot of children on their books they might expect the parents to approach them when their child is eligible.

Also, the ECCE scheme ends on the 16th June, and I'm not sure if the two weeks at Easter are included. Our playschool was closed so wasn't applicable. The most you are entitled to is 11 weeks, the least is 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pwurple wrote: »
    It's unfair all around. Birthday lottery.

Most ridiculous scheme to administer as well, creates headaches for providers, parents and everyone else involved.

Why they couldn't keep it simple is beyond me.
    It is simple, a couple of forms for parents to sign and the admin for providers is all online. It was easy to check the eligibility criteria online.
    I didn't find it any hassle at all. I have a September child, the scheme has to cut off somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Samsgirl wrote: »
    My daughter was born on 31/12/12 and misses out on a second ECCE year by appprox 7 hours.

She will be starting Junior infants in Sept aged 4.8 years. She could have benefited with a second pre school year as she has mild dyspraxia.

You can appeal it for a child that has additional educational needs that would benefit.
    I have a 1st of Jan daughter and I am January child and I remember we had alot of advantages over kids a few days younger. GAA especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My daughter is a march baby. 5/3/14. She started her ecce after the Easter holidays. I pay 10 euro a week top up. Her hours are 9.00- 12.30 so the top up is for the extra hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

amor3 wrote: »
    My daughter is a march baby. 5/3/14. She started her ecce after the Easter holidays. I pay 10 euro a week top up. Her hours are 9.00- 12.30 so the top up is for the extra hours.

€10 for 2.5hrs is very reasonable. Nothing wrong with that.
    It's the boyo's charging €100 or so a month for 'arts and crafts materials' that need to be cracked down on

Advertisement