Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Poor Charlotte. Gotta feel for her. She absolutely fell apart.
    What was amazing about Simon's dance was the fact that Karen managed to put together a half-decent routine.
    All downhill for Janette and Aston. The salsa is supposed to be her speciality (well, it's the only dance she can actually do) and they messed it up.

Highlight for me so far has been Craig's withering one-liners. He's been right on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

honeybear wrote: »
    On catch up. Completely distracted by Alexandra’s partner.

Isnt he just gorgeous . I watched Alexandra because she mesmorised me , but re watched and just concentrated on Gorka and he was amazing . The dance blew me away and I am not a fan of Alexandras

I really enjoyed last night , I though they were all very nervous , some used it to theor advantage like Alexandra and some caved like Charlotte

I would be happy to loose Ruth , or Brian or Chizzy at this stage and then the Rev and Susan soon too .

I am rooting now for Mollie and Jonnie and enjoying see them progress .Aston leaves me stone cold .He dances well with no emotion at all .

Why shouldn't he dance to the song? It meant a lot to the dancer? I thought it was a beautiful song for him to dance to. Alexandra Burke danced to a song her mother loved Last week. Would you say shame on her for using the song? And you did say shame on him.

We expect that sort of tear jerker from the likes of X Factor. Strictly doesn’t need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Two minor things last night. The quality of hair/make up and costumes. I know that a lot of the time they are given hair extensions but last night there was evidence of poor matching of extensions in with their own hair, Darcy for example. A number of female dancers including professionals hair looked unstable /wrecked before they even danced. Karen and Katya's make up was dreadful. Then were dresses like Gemma's and Jeanette's , that were just plain ugly. Even Claudia and Tess's dressses didn't look like they were sitting right on them and actually made them look like they had big tummys. Katya's dress looked way too big and Susan's dress was too short even for a charlston.

We expect that sort of tear jerker from the likes of X Factor. Strictly doesn’t need it.

Completely agree.
    The Beeb have also been dragging the arse out of events or moments for contestants for years.
    Remember when they had Fiona Fullerton on and constantly referred to her as "Bond Girl" as if it was the sum total of her career?
    Or when they had Colin Salmon on it and constantly played James Bond music?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I wouldn't know...I don't watch x factor. Who are you talking about when you say 'we'? And strictly is about emotion, depending on the dance...they talk about performance all the time and how the dancers bring out the emotion of the song. It would be different if he clumped around the floor and disrespected the song. But he didn't.

Simon is not a good dancer and would not have a huge following. Last night was (in my opinion anyway) a massive ploy to curry favour with the public and secure more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

ATM,I’m rooting for Gemma. Think she has scope to improve. She also has a very good partner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Heroditas wrote: »
    Simon is not a good dancer and would not have a huge following. Last night was (in my opinion anyway) a massive ploy to curry favour with the public and secure more votes.

No, he's not a good dancer. No one said he was. He got a song that meant a lot to him and he danced to it. I'm sure through out the competition other dancers will get songs that will bring emotions to the fore, as is what happened with Alexandra Burke last week. He did nothing wrong or shameful, it was a good song for him. Its not the first time the song has been used either, iirc it has been used more than once before.

Of course the competitors get songs that are meaningful to them. The producers aren't stupid. The show is becoming just as manipulative as the likes of X Factor though in trying to tug at the public's heartstrings and I belief that it's an underhanded and cynical thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Heroditas wrote: »
    Of course the competitors get songs that are meaningful to them. The producers aren't stupid. The show is becoming just as manipulative as the likes of X Factor though in trying to tug at the public's heartstrings and I belief that it's an underhanded and cynical thing to do.

...Can we move on to something else now? :o:o:o

We've just had the first elimination. I won't say who went, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet - but there were tears.

We've just had the first elimination. I won't say who went, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet - but there were tears.

Yep there certainly were. I agreed with who the judges eliminated on the basis of the dances though.
    Movie week next week!!

Those tears were a tad OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I love Movie Week! Roll on Saturday! :)

Exactly, however she ended up in the dance-off because she was crap and also because nobody voted for her. Could be a grain of truth in what he said about nobody knowing her.
    However, it wasn't the main reason.
    Poor Charlotte. I'd love to see the clip of him ribbing her. I'm sure she was mortified.

Brendan's wrote a long message on twitter aimed at the judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The Reverend gives me the creeps

I tend to not bother watching his dances, take the opportunity to have a make a cup of tea. He'll be gone soon enough. I have to say re the novelty acts, I enjoyed Ed Balls and even Jeremy Vine, it's what the show is all about, having fun and entertaining others. If everyone was brilliant aka Alexandra and Aston , then it would be boring. I watched back the Ann Widicome dances recently and she still has me laughing. Classic Strictly.

Thought Chizzy was being a bit of a drama queen on ITT to be honest .
    And Zoe made me laugh with her platitudes " Everyone loved you and wanted you to stay in "
    Well No Zoe they didn't really or she would be still in !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think Giovanni does great choreography and I think this could be his year to win - love his partnership with Debbie :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think Debbie will do well but doubt she'll win. The oldest ever winner is Chris Hollins who was 38 at the time. I'm trying to remember someone older doing well - Anita Dobson did well but still maybe only week 10. Oh Pamela Stephenson came 3rd, she must be the best.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I am cringing at the thought of Ruth doinf a rhumba with anton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

For the record, Debbie will be 59 at the end of this month. :);)

Guess it's time to look at the bookies' markets again. I expect Debbie's odds to have shortened, and Charlotte's to have lengthened considerably. Am I right? :D

Paddy Power: Aston 9/4, Alexandra 3/1, Debbie 9/2, Gemma 9/1, Mollie 10/1, Davood 12/1, Joe 12/1, Jonnie 12/1, bar 100/1
    Ladbrokes, Coral: Aston 5/2, Alexandra 3/1, Debbie 7/2, Gemma 10/1, Mollie 10/1, Davood 12/1, Joe 12/1, Jonnie 12/1, bar 100/1
    William Hill: Aston 5/2, Alexandra 3/1, Debbie 9/2, Gemma 9/1, Mollie 9/1, Joe 10/1, Jonnie 10/1, Davood 12/1, bar 66/1

Of course I am. :D:D;);)

No real surprise that Aston and Alexandra remain the favourites for now. Mollie's odds have also lengthened, though not as dramatically as Charlotte's, while Joe's have shortened, though not as remarkably as Debbie's. :D;)

(I should probably also point out that Ladbrokes and Coral have come under common ownership within the last 12 months, hence their markets being the exact same.)

Snoopy1 wrote: »

That will be my moment to make a cuppa and have a break .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Poor Ruth, I feel for her, but her and Brian are the worst this year. Thankfully there are a lot more good/very good couples though, which throws the competition wide open.

Ruth is unlucky to be doing a rumba but it is actually possible to do a classy rumba without it being overly "sensual".
    Anyway, it could never be as bad as Nancy Dell'Olio's one! All the passion of a decaying corpse and none of the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭threetrees

On It Takes Two Anton said he would do his style of Rumba so I'm not expecting anything too cringeworthy, just plain awful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Watched ITT there, don't know if it's Debbie's influence or something else but it's the most natural/genuine I've ever seen giovanni....I'd go so far as he seems nice

Advertisement