Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I agree , the outfit and the music were awful and a waltz deserves better than that But I imagine that the pro has a big input into the outfit and you often hear Vicky say the pro wants this or that .
    I miss the classic long ballgowns this year .

How come then they dress kevins partner, Susan terribly. Genuine question as I dont think the wardrobe section likes the bigger ladies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Was thinking Susan could have kicked higher if she'd been in shorts rather than that horrendous dungaree dress thing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm sorry to see Aston go, he was my favourite and the one I looked forward to watching. I think Janette must take a lot of blame for his departure. By my recollection, that's three weeks in a row that he was criticised for not having enough traditional dance content. Her modern spin worked with the Paso last week, but it bit them in the bum this week. That VW was just awful, the music, the costumes, the choreography were all terrible - it just wasn't pleasant to watch no matter how technically well it was danced. It was foolish of Janette to go so alternative again when it had already back fired with the judges.

From what I've observed, the voting public like 'nice' dances. They like foxtrots, waltzes, jives, Charleston's, dances like sambas, pasos, rhumbas etc are always dangerous for the dancers. That dance was almost unrecognisable as a waltz, so the public were turned off. In fact, I think Oti didn't help Danny's chances last year with that weird show dance with the door frames. The public much preferred Ore's lovely traditional American smooth style show dance.

Who picks the music for the dances?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Who picks the music for the dances?

Helen Keller

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, well, well. Well, well, well, well, well.

Before I start sounding like Rappin' Ronnie Reagan, I will say that it can't be denied that this is one of the biggest shocks in Strictly history. Inevitably, the tabloids are calling it THE biggest shock - having probably forgotten about moments like Chris Hollins beating Ricky Whittle in '09... :rolleyes: ;)

But it's certainly big enough for the BBC to report on it themselves. And there's definitely a lot of finger-pointing, too - is it Janette's fault, or Shirley's, or Craig's, or the public's, or are all of them to blame? :D;)

Unsurprisingly, some of those who blame Shirley feel she should be fired for this, and Len brought back. Good heavens, Shirley's not exactly Trump or Farage, is she? :rolleyes: ;)

As for Aston himself? He has remained upbeat, and that has to be a Good Thing. :)
    Ok so lemme do this properly!! @bbcstrictly thank you so much for letting me be apart of such a great year I've made some amazing new homies!! Class of 17 you are all f***ing brilliant can't wait for our catch up night out.. good luck to you all!! Every single person that commented, posted, voted every week thank you so much for the love and chance to do what I love to do most.. ENTERTAIN!! All you strictly pros.. you are all ridiculously talented and I've loved watching and learning from you all. But the biggest shout out and thank you to my dance partner @jmanrara also known as the Latin sensation! You have made this whole experience perfect! From AMAZING routines every week, to fun and help in rehearsals, to being a great friend from it take 2 to chill time with team45! Guys life is great I'm gutted obviously but... I'm not sad that it's over, I'm happy that it got to happen! 🙌🏾🙏🏾❤ next stop and adventure being a daddy 😁❤😍 oh and some music n tours n shiiiiiiiet.. But daddy first ha!

The very best of luck with fatherhood, Aston. :)

Anyway, every time there's a big shock, one who's interested in the bookies' markets simply has to take a look at them... :o:D

Paddy Power: Debbie 6/4, Alexandra 2/1, Gemma 6/1, Joe 15/2, Davood 20/1, Jonnie 20/1, Mollie 20/1, Susan 66/1, Ruth 100/1
    Ladbrokes, Coral: Debbie 7/4, Alexandra 2/1, Gemma 7/1, Joe 7/1, Davood 16/1, Mollie 16/1, Jonnie 20/1, Susan 50/1, Ruth 66/1
    William Hill: Debbie 6/4, Alexandra 9/4, Gemma 6/1, Joe 7/1, Davood 16/1, Jonnie 20/1, Mollie 20/1, Ruth 50/1, Susan 50/1

So Debbie is now the favourite. If Aston's departure wasn't a factor in this, then getting the first 40 of the series certainly was. ;)

Joe has come in from around 14/1 two weeks ago, after his Charleston went down very well. ;) And Davood's odds have also shortened, from around 25/1 - no doubt thanks to his American Smooth.

No real surprise that Jonnie has drifted out from around 10/1. I *am* surprised, however, that Mollie's odds haven't lengthened substantially - I would have thought that being in the last two DOs would have sent them right out from around 16/1, to almost what's being offered on Ruth and Susan... :o

Mrs Holmes and Ms Calman have been outsiders from the off, of course, and that isn't going to to change no matter how far they get. It's now official, though, that at least one of them will be dancing in Blackpool the week after next... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

People are blaming Craig , Shirley , the music , the costume , Janette , the wig , and I have yet to hear many blame Aston . He did a crap dance and it looked lazy and lack lustre to add to every other dreadful bits

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Very, very late to the party this week!

Agree with all the posters about Alexandra - the faux modesty just grates. Part of me thought during her dance, just give her the trophy already and be done with it. Hope I'm wrong!

Really gutted for Gemma, I love her but that dance was awful - she looked terrified and it just didn't work for her at all.

I'm now watching poor Aston getting slated for Jeanette's choreography - surely the guy can only dance what he's given? Have to say I agree with all the judges about it, it was far to jumpy for a VW - but I don't think that can be laid at Aston's door :(

Mother of God, WTAF did they have Anton and Ruth dancing to??? :eek:

Let nobody tell me that the pros don't have a role in picking the music, that had Anton written ALL OVER it.

I feel like he's taking the absolute piss out of poor Ruth this season - he's clearly decided (probably correctly) that he's never going to get a decent celeb to partner, and now looks like he's trying to get himself fired from the show.

(Ruth is never going to win the show, but she deserves a better go at it than that:( )

Gosh, was her Tango really that good???

Perfect 40 coming I suppose. They do love Debbie this year.

Exactly what I asked myself when Craig lost the run of himself. I thought her head was going to fall off a couple of times, and while it was good I didn't think it was THAT good :confused:

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Barbie and Ken up next

:D:D

When Joe and Katya were announced, she threw her hat up in the air - but it never came back down again :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Agree with all the posters about Alexandra - the faux modesty just grates. Part of me thought during her dance, just give her the trophy already and be done with it. Hope I'm wrong!

Well, Debbie's currently the favourite, so you never know... ;)

It does feel like they may be pushing for a female winner this year, after Jay and Ore the last two years. (No sexism intended, of course. :))

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mother of God, WTAF did they have Anton and Ruth dancing to??? :eek:

Let nobody tell me that the pros don't have a role in picking the music, that had Anton written ALL OVER it.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's a joint decision between the celeb and the pro.

Sorry. :o

I feel like he's taking the absolute piss out of poor Ruth this season - he's clearly decided (probably correctly) that he's never going to get a decent celeb to partner, and now looks like he's trying to get himself fired from the show.

(Ruth is never going to win the show, but she deserves a better go at it than that:( )

Lest we forget, many of us wondered in 2015 if he would go then - especially when he made it to the final (which, of course, he'd never done before). ;)

At 51, surely he doesn't have many years left in him as a pro (no ageism intended, either). But then again, he is to Strictly what Wolf was to Gladiators - older than the rest, but providing enough entertainment to keep fans *and* casual viewers amused. (Although, of course, he's not quite a "baddie" like Wolf was.) :D;)

WOLF-from-Gladiators-563075.jpg

If he left, it's possible that the BBC could have a hard time replacing him. They could tempt Tristan or Gleb back, or bring Shirley's son Mark across the Atlantic - but would they make *quite* the same impression? ;)

Regardless, when Anton *does* leave the show, it'll be quite a momentous occasion - and quite sad, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I had to switch Shirley off on ITT this evening. Not the most humble of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Gleb is doing alright over on Dancing With the Stars I would like him to come back but I really want Artem to come back. If they are to replace any male dancers I think bring these two back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There isn't much precedent for bringing anyone back on Strictly. I can only think of Aliona who was dropped for a year and then returned as a replacement when someone (Natalie?) Was injured. For the likes of those who go to DWTS, I don't see the appeal of returning. It would seem like a backwards step.

For years, the internet demanded the return of Arlene but it never happened. Men last longer on the show than women - none of the dancers with Pasha in his first dance are still on it. I know there would be some natural attrition - a female dancer has to give up to have a baby which doesn't of course stop Brendan or Anton sticking around.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I dont agree with the "outrage" over Aston going. I thought Craig and Shirley were right. Despite the concept of the dance being not suited, they did have too much attack for a viennese waltz.....which is what Janette always does, too much energy and attack and trying to put showy elements into it at the expense of it being calm and fluid. You cant do big whopper choreography every week otherwise when it is warranted it just gets meaningless.

Dont understand why she does it as surely Aljaz has some sort of opinion on her dances and he's excellent at calm and fluid ballroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There isn't much precedent for bringing anyone back on Strictly. I can only think of Aliona who was dropped for a year and then returned as a replacement when someone (Natalie?) Was injured. For the likes of those who go to DWTS, I don't see the appeal of returning. It would seem like a backwards step.

For years, the internet demanded the return of Arlene but it never happened. Men last longer on the show than women - none of the dancers with Pasha in his first dance are still on it. I know there would be some natural attrition - a female dancer has to give up to have a baby which doesn't of course stop Brendan or Anton sticking around.

Aleesha was tempted over to Britains got talent for a large amount of money and who could blame her. She's worth every penny too.

Do you know I was very surprised Oksana left after a year. She was a lovely all round dancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

368100 wrote: »
    I dont agree with the "outrage" over Aston going. I thought Craig and Shirley were right. Despite the concept of the dance being not suited, they did have too much attack for a viennese waltz.....which is what Janette always does, too much energy and attack and trying to put showy elements into it at the expense of it being calm and fluid. You cant do big whopper choreography every week otherwise when it is warranted it just gets meaningless.

Dont understand why she does it as surely Aljaz has some sort of opinion on her dances and he's excellent at calm and fluid ballroom.

I've never warmed to Janette as a dancer. As you say there is too much energy and attack in her dances. I think the beauty of a VW is when it is kept simple. There are only three basic steps in the VW but when combined with twirling and constant movement around the dancefloor it is a beautiful dance.

I've never warmed to Janette as a dancer. As you say there is too much energy and attack in her dances. I think the beauty of a VW is when it is kept simple. There are only three basic steps in the VW but when combined with twirling and constant movement around the dancefloor it is a beautiful dance.

Totally agree. Just watched back their waltz, although they got generally good feedback craig told them that it was too sharp and not fluid enough and darcy said she felt it was a little too fussy and overdetailed and that simplicity brings elegance.

As im off on my holiers with little to do ive watched back a few of her waltzes and vws over last few years.....Common theme from Janette even given similar feedback so she obviously thinks she knows better. I know they have to take risks sometimes to push things on but its the same stuff from her over and over that doesnt get her very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SCD already have a replacement for Anton - it's Brendan!

Anyway, completely sick of Alexandra now with the overly exaggerated emotions, particularly the shaking hand held 5 inches in front of her face as her lower jaw quivers on the cusp of a major emotional outburst.
    It's been her "party trick" since she was on X Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

kopite386 wrote: »
    Gleb is doing alright over on Dancing With the Stars I would like him to come back but I really want Artem to come back. If they are to replace any male dancers I think bring these two back

Gleb is heavenly to watch and I’d love to see him back but he’s doing very well in Dwts. My poor heart wouldn’t be able for Gorka, Aliiz and Gleb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Heroditas wrote: »
    SCD already have a replacement for Anton - it's Brendan!

Anyway, completely sick of Alexandra now with the overly exaggerated emotions, particularly the shaking hand held 5 inches in front of her face as her lower jaw quivers on the cusp of a major emotional outburst.
    It's been her "party trick" since she was on X Factor.

Speculated from the start that I didn't see the public warming to Alexandra. Far too OTT and dramatic. I couldn't stand her on the XFactor and she hasn't changed a bit.

That said I can imagine she has a fairly committed fan-base so I wouldn't totally write her off

Debbie is probably peaking too early, I can see a similar situation to Ore vs Danny last year in that the underdog story renders with the public more. Gemma the most likely in that regard I would think (edit - had actually forgotten Joe, who I think has a fine chance and is likeable)

Can't warm to Shirley, sure she has vast technical knowledge but I doubt the casual viewer cares about the most minute of details to be frank, Len had far more of a charm about him for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I don't know why, but I can't take to Joe at all. I don't dislike him, but he doesn't grab my attention at all. I seem to just be indifferent to him, where others love him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

ShazGV wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I can't take to Joe at all. I don't dislike him, but he doesn't grab my attention at all. I seem to just be indifferent to him, where others love him. :D

I see what you mean, that said in a public voting (to win/save) competition you're better off being a bit of a marmite character at times, as long as there are plenty that do love you :D

It's very hard to actively dislike someone like Mollie for example, but she's a bit bland and forgettable, with respect. You'd hardly jump to extremes to go and vote for her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

If ye were on SCD who would ye like to be partnered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

honeybear wrote: »

Joanne or Oti
    Actually - Katya too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

honeybear wrote: »

Pasha, he's a lovely dancer, but he also seems really considerate to his partner and let's her shine rather than trying to hog the limelight. He seems like a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Giovanni because then there would be a reason for staring at him all day long ;)
    He's actually a really good choreographer too so it's not just for shallow reasons ;)

Oti.....she's wired but the best choreographer of the female pros......katya being second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Alijaz or Brendan

If I was male I would want to dance with Oti. Her choreography is brilliant.

Advertisement