Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2017

Options

Comments

Told ya. Still the wrong result though.

Why? He put in the effort and improved week after week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Well done Joe.....delighted with that result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Told ya. Still the wrong result though.

Well, one thing I think we *can* all agree on is that it is a popularity contest as well as a dance contest... :D:);)

Sure would be nice, though, if the Beeb revealed the voting figures. Do they lock them away afterwards - or do they even destroy them? :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Why? He put in the effort and improved week after week.

Absolutely. But not half the dancer Alexandra is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone catch Debbie’s Puss on announcement of Joe as winner???

I’d say it’s Alexandra is the one with the puss on her :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Joe's a decent dancer but one of the weaker winners.

I thought he was amazing . One of my favourite winners

Well done Joe! One of the ones with no experience of dance and improved so much - delighted for him

Well, one thing I think we *can* all agree on is that it is a popularity contest as well as a dance contest... :D:);)

Sure would be nice, though, if the Beeb revealed the voting figures. Do they lock them away afterwards - or do they even destroy them? :eek: :rolleyes:

Rufus hound hit the nail on the head yesterday on ITT, it's a dance competition but not necessarily about the best dancer but about who you enjoy watching dance the most

I don't intend to be sexist here - but now that we've had a hat-trick of male celeb winners, I wonder how big a push there'll be for a female winner next year...? :o;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Delighted with that result. He was such a gentle smiley guy throughout. No dance experience beforehand, I don't think?

• Advertisement

I don't intend to be sexist here - but now that we've had a hat-trick of male celeb winners, I wonder how big a push there'll be for a female winner next year...? :o;)

I did think Gemma would spring a surprise tonight. Loved her show dance. Loads of energy and oomph.

368100 wrote: »
    Rufus hound hit the nail on the head yesterday on ITT, it's a dance competition but not necessarily about the best dancer but about who you enjoy watching dance the most

Which also perfectly explains why Chris Hollins beat Ricky Whittle in '09, and why Ore beat Danny last year. :D:);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aw I loved tonight’s show, think they all did really well. I’m delighted Joe won, but I have to say I was worried after his show dance, it was slightly disappointing. Didn’t seem to have as much dance content as the others. But he got back on track with that amazing Charleston. I though Alex was incredible tonight, her show dance was the dance of the night for me. I was rooting for Joe, but based on pure ability, she was the best. Debbie was boring and predictable Gemma did well but she wasn’t in the same league as the other 3.

Loved the group dance! Thought it was so much fun. It really reminded me what a loss Aston was so early on. I reckon he would have been in the final but for that terrible VW.

Great series all in all. Is it September yet????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh, and a just rewatched it, Debbie and Alex didn’t have a puss on them. I think it’s unfair to say they did. I’m sure they were disappointed but they were nothing but gracious.

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh, and a just rewatched it, Debbie and Alex didn’t have a puss on them. I think it’s unfair to say they did. I’m sure they were disappointed but they were nothing but gracious.

Ah we’re only messing :-P

I did think Gemma would spring a surprise tonight. Loved her show dance. Loads of energy and oomph.

As I said, it sure would be nice if the Beeb revealed the voting figures.

For all we know, Gemma could be the true runner-up - that is, she received more votes than Debbie and Alexandra.

But it seems we'll never know for sure... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say I'm disappointed Joe won. He seemed like a lovely guy but I just did not think his dances compared to Alexandra or Debbie. I'm not even a big fan of either of those contestants but I knew he would win as they were booth in the bottom two so didn't have the same popularity.

His showdance wasn't spectacular and the only time I was really impressed was his Cabaret dance in Musicals week.

I understand people will say that they had an unfair advantage with they're previous dance experience but why bother letting them compete? The same happened last year when Ore won even though (in my opinion!) Danny was the better dancer...but he had experience.

I'm not sure if I'll watch next year as I've disagreed with the winners in recent series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What a final ! The public always choose the best winner. Tonight all were amazing finalists and all will go on to great things. Here's to the Christmas special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well I'm glad Debbie didn't win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,257 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yippee delighted Joe won

I'm going to go against the grain of this thread and say I'm disappointed Joe won. He seemed like a lovely guy but I just did not think his dances compared to Alexandra or Debbie. I'm not even a big fan of either of those contestants but I knew he would win as they were booth in the bottom two so didn't have the same popularity.

His showdance wasn't spectacular and the only time I was really impressed was his Cabaret dance in Musicals week.

I understand people will say that they had an unfair advantage with they're previous dance experience but why bother letting them compete? The same happened last year when Ore won even though (in my opinion!) Danny was the better dancer...but he had experience.

I'm not sure if I'll watch next year as I've disagreed with the winners in recent series.

Nothing wrong with going against the grain as long as you respect the general view. :):)

I myself am probably going against the grain when I say that I'm not a big fan of Ed Sheeran or his music... :D;)

And of course, with every Strictly winner, there'll always be at least one viewer who's disappointed. I'm sure plenty of viewers wanted Denise Lewis to win the second series in 2004 instead of Jill Halfpenny, and I'm sure plenty were rooting for Matt di Angelo in 2007 rather than Alesha Dixon.

Probably fair to say that Tom Chambers remains the most controversial winner to date. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

i say about previous dance experience, because It's not a level playing field. Of course some one with dance experience is going to be good on a dance show. And they are more than likely going to be better than someone who starts off the show with none. So the one with no experience shouldn't even be there then. So where's the competition? Mark Ramperkash (sp?) and Darren Gough made the show for me. It was a new skill they were training in, completely unrelated to anything they had done before. I thought the whole idea of the show was to get celebs with no dance experience and show their journey?

Nothing wrong with going against the grain as long as you respect the general view. :):)

I myself am probably going against the grain when I say that I'm not a big fan of Ed Sheeran or his music... :D;)

And of course, with every Strictly winner, there'll always be at least one viewer who's disappointed. I'm sure plenty of viewers wanted Denise Lewis to win the second series in 2004 instead of Jill Halfpenny, and I'm sure plenty were rooting for Matt di Angelo in 2007 rather than Alesha Dixon.

Probably fair to say that Tom Chambers remains the most controversial winner to date. ;)

Why was tom chambers winning controversial??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What a final!
    Loved most of the dances. Debbie's AT and showdance, Gemma's American Smooth, Joe's Charleston and Viennese Waltz, Alexandra's American Smooth - outstanding!
    The real standout for me was the group dance :) It was great to see everyone back again but the actual quality of the dance was fantastic!
    Very happy with the result - I'd've been delighted to see Debbie win it either, and happy enough to see Alex win as she was excellent even if I can't stand her personality. Really liked Gemma and she progressed beautifully throughout the competition but wouldn't have been a worthy winner in my opinion, not having risen to the same heights as the other three. Delighted also for Katya, who is an incredible choreographer as well as an excellent dancer.
    Looking forward to the Christmas specials!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just realised the pros in tonights final are all non UK dancers !
    Gio , Aljaz , Gorka , Katya ! Well done to every one of them in a very competitive world .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,266 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's taken me over two hours to watch the last hour of the show :mad: Never again!

I can't even remember half the dances it was so distracting stopping and starting. Oh well, I've an excuse to pour a glass of wine tomorrow night and watch it all again properly :D

Delighted Joe won, I thought himself and Gemma made just incredible progress throughout the series. The one dance that I will acknowledge should go down in Strictly history isn't Alexandra's jive, but her salsa - that really was outstanding. But I'm still completely obsessed with Joe's samba, and I'm amazed they didn't do that as their last dance, I was so sure they would!

I must say that the showdances these days seem to me to be just a collection of highlights from their dances throughout the series - I recognized a LOT of the steps in the various showdances tonight - the days of a truly original routine seem a long time ago (the two that spring to mind are Camilla and Tom Chambers (sorry, a lot of people seem to not like his win, and I too can't remember why it was meant to be controversial!) and Louis Smith and Flavia.)

At 42, Joes the oldest winner in Strictly history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Glad that Joe won, a very likeable person.
    They had to ruin the Ed Sheeran song by having Karen dance, didn't they? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

368100 wrote: »
    Why was tom chambers winning controversial??

The way the voting worked at the time meant that it was impossible for him and Camilla Dallerup to avoid the dance-off in the semi-final - so all three couples went through to the final, with the votes being carried over.

Also, their scores in both the semi-final and the final were considerably lower than those of the other two couples - Rachel Stevens and Vincent Simone, and Lisa Snowdon and Brendan. Indeed, in the final, Lisa and Brendan got two 40s while Tom and Camilla could only manage a 35 and a 38... :D

Tom must have been more popular than Rachel and Lisa, however - he was never in the dance-off (even if he should have been), while Rachel was in it twice and Lisa three times. But the manner of his win did leave a sour taste in the mouths of a not insignificant number of viewers - and not just Strictly fans...

This was also Arlene Phillips' last series before she was replaced by Alesha. Tough times for Strictly, these were...

Advertisement