Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Boards have a rating system?

• 09-05-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

I'm always curious when I view certain posters, just how they're perceived or considered in a wider sense by other posters.
    What would you think if Boards enabled us to "rate" other posters out of 5 stars? This could work either due to the amount of thanked posts they get, or just rating them in general for being a good/bad poster. It would certainly be open to abuse though.

Or is that idea too Black Mirror-esque? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You have 3 blue stars under your name, OP. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Would it not turn in to a mickey measuring competition.
    And probably lead to people closing their accounts due to not been 'popular'.
    And those with unpopular, but valid, opinions would lose their voice?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was done waaay in the past, before I signed up. Lead to much bullying by all accounts.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's the internet version of tyranny of majority. Let's mark those out who don't conform to predominant narrative.

And then people wonder why nobody predicted Trump getting elected, conservatives doing better than expected and so on.

Been there, done that. Karma system and rep system. Both heavily abused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This site had a reputation system (something similar to what you're requesting) about 12 years ago. It didn't end well. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does the thanks function not do that anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I give your idea null pois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We had a karma system in the past.

Let's just say that it didn't lead to good karma, and it was abandoned. And good riddance too IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm always curious when I view certain posters, just how they're perceived or considered in a wider sense by other posters.
    What would you think if Boards enabled us to "rate" other posters out of 5 stars? This could work either due to the amount of thanked posts they get, or just rating them in general for being a good/bad poster. It would certainly be open to abuse though.

Or is that idea too Black Mirror-esque? :pac:
    Its enough of a circle jerk as is around here at times without further enabling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dudara wrote: »
    We had a karma system in the past.

Let's just say that it didn't lead to good karma, and it was abandoned. And good riddance too IMO

Oh really! I didn't know that. Ya I suppose it would, as the poster above me said, lead to minority voices being silenced. I suppose it's one of those things that in theory sounds really interesting, and then in reality is a total fail.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So I take it that we can lock this one up until its brought back up in about 12 more years :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

five-star-man-a-discussion-of-dennis-reynold-s-psyche.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Why would the rating gain credibility?
    Thinking of the model boardsie male persona compiled in AH in the past in the dirty bedsit eating out of a tin of beans...
    Would you really respect an individual like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I have no idea what the stars are for as it is. Posting to check my stars :D

Edit : :cool: 3 stars, I'm the beesknees

Anna I know what you're thinking, maybe we could have a discrete little bird that you'd only get after a certain number of people rated you, that would mean "cuckoo".
    Or some kind of wtf symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Birneybau wrote: »
    I give your idea null pois.

No peas? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some sites have "rep" or "cred" systems.
    Boards didn't want that as it is clickish.

Not sure what a rating system would do other than show popularity.
    A thanked post is usually enough to show someone agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Probably not but a dislike button would be great for the week it would last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pherekydes wrote: »
    No peas? :confused:

Un petit pois.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You can check who loves you though http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If you don't like somebody, offer rebuttal or ignore them.

No need to run crying to the powers that be to let you give them an anonymous bad mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We're on a slippery slope if everyone wants to be rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Winterlong wrote: »
    Would it not turn in to a mickey measuring competition.
    And probably lead to people closing their accounts due to not been 'popular'.
    And those with unpopular, but valid, opinions would lose their voice?

Thinly veiled "long at my lengthy schlong, I'm not scared to show it" post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

GLaDOS wrote:
    Was done waaay in the past, before I signed up. Lead to much bullying by all accounts.

My thoughts exactly, just an opportunity for bullies to get their jollies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You can check who loves you though http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

AhfIyVN.png

Hi cutie :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I remember the old rating system. It was meant to rate the post, not the actual poster, though the poster had their rating displayed under their name as red and green dots (or apples as they got called). The more red, the more people had disagreed with your posts. It was an anonymous system when first introduced, then the real fun started when they lifted the veil, and you could see who had neg-repped you. The consequences of that were tit for tat neg-repping, and also people deliberately posting crap in order to provoke neg rep from other posters that they would then retaliate against.

They were a badge of honour for some, and just a target for others to bully. Posters with a lot of red apples were ridiculed even when making good points, simply because their opinion was often not agreed with.

Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

NO.

Ratings and reddit-style voting are ruining the internet, they're ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i am trying to figure out two things

1) what is that love rating and why is mine different to the one posted above?

2) what are those stars for below the user name?

never thought about it before

oh and a third thing, if i cannot figure out what they are for what the hell am i doing studying IT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

soups05 wrote: »
    i am trying to figure out two things

1) what is that love rating and why is mine different to the one posted above?

2) what are those stars for below the user name?

never thought about it before

oh and a third thing, if i cannot figure out what they are for what the hell am i doing studying IT :)

The love meter is based on people who have thanked your posts IIRC.
    The star rating has to do with number of posts. The colors change based on mod/admin/subscriber status too.
    Or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

3 options on everyone's profiles.

Snog. Marry. Avoid.

Whichever option has the most votes against it, is what you have automatically on your profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

What does the stars mean under your name? like how are they calculated?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ill be right there....... give me a minute :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

B-D-P-- wrote: »

Its a users wanted level, so those on 5 stars are always big on the mods ban list :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it would be a terrible idea. One of the nice things about internet forums is that ideas and opinions can be evaluated on their merit and not be influenced by social popularity or standing of the poster. That aspect of communication online is being painfully eroded and we are stuck with the tyranny of tired self-promotion and grappling for attention in so many online spheres now. Boards already has definite "cliques" , though their influence waxes and wanes, why would we not try to foster what's left of people expressing, genuine independent thought without the encumberment of considering a reputation first?

I often find I'll strongly disagree with a poster on several issues but be impressed and educated by their insight on another. A rating system would just have the effect of editing out unpopular opinions, we'd lose a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

B-D-P-- wrote: »

People who have 5 have paid for them by subscribing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Because Boards users aren't b!tchy enough to eachother already? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The stars under your name is for your usergroup, like 5 gold stars for administrator, 4 white stars is a mod 3 blue if you have more than 100 posts, etc

There used to be a wiki entry but now the wiki is dead baby.

I think this is it:
    Admins 5 Gold Stars
    CMods 5 Silver Stars
    Mods 4 Silver Stars
    HMods 3 Silver Stars
    Subscribers 4 Bronze Stars
    Regular User > 500 Posts 3 Blue Stars
    Regular User > 100 Posts < 500 Posts 2 Blue Stars
    Regular User < 100 Posts 1 Blue Star

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think it would be a terrible idea. One of the nice things about internet forums is that ideas and opinions can be evaluated on their merit and not be influenced by social popularity or standing of the poster. That aspect of communication online is being painfully eroded and we are stuck with the tyranny of tired self-promotion and grappling for attention in so many online spheres now. Boards already has definite "cliques" , though their influence waxes and wanes, why would we not try to foster what's left of people expressing, genuine independent thought without the encumberment of considering a reputation first?

I often find I'll strongly disagree with a poster on several issues but be impressed and educated by their insight on another. A rating system would just have the effect of editing out unpopular opinions, we'd lose a lot.

The latest thing coming in with the kids now is the "superchats" on youtube, where you pay money to make your comment stand out and stick to the top of the screen for a length of time. $2 will get your comment a highlight, $5 will pin it to the top of the screen for a certain amount of seconds. Totally insane of course, but with the way the world is headed I wouldn't be surprised if something similar started coming to text boards sooner or later as well, with similar rationalizations being edged in, surprising what money can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Click here to see who has you on ignore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

There are enough thanks sluts as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Fives have lives.
    Fours have chores.
    Threes have fleas.
    Twos have blues
    and Ones don't get a rhyme,
    because they're garbage.

Advertisement