Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Rental Report is Out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Same story as the last couple of years, decreasing supply and increasing rent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just listening to RTE at lunchtime- they're blaming the RPZs for the increases particularly in the Dublin area. Talk about laws of unintended consequences- if this is true. Haven't had a chance to read the report at all yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

You'd want your head examined to be renting out a 5 bed house in south Dublin at a yield of 2.8%, when you can get a yield of 11.8% renting out a 1 bed in Dublin 10!
    Across the board, Dublin 10 seems to be giving the best yields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

http://www.daft.ie/report/2017-Q1-rental-daft-report.pdf

Thought we could have a chat... before I actually read it, so this is more of a news dump... for now.

New all time national average though €1131 - ouch!

It would go to my heart to pay this :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I consider myself lucky reading this. Got a house Jan last year, 4 bed and paying 1100 a month incl insurance. Beforehand I was paying only 800 p/m in a 1 bed apt in the city centre. Same place was advertised at 1200 there a few months ago....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its really visionary stuff from councils and Coveney, restricting building heights to small town levels in Dublin (the current city development was signed off on only a few months ago)... This is the level of Morons that you are dealing with and we wonder why nothing works here... :rolleyes:

of course the high prices suit them and their agenda down to the ground...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its really visionary stuff from councils and Coveney, restricting building heights to small town levels in Dublin (the current city development was signed off on only a few months ago)... This is the level of Morons that you are dealing with and we wonder why nothing works here... :rolleyes:

of course the high prices suit them and their agenda down to the ground...

The funniest part of it is, is that the Norman's built taller buildings than what is currently allowed I'm parts of Dublin

it shouldn't have been a free for all, keep it 6-7 floors or appropriate in the old city centre. But the docklands in particular, along with Sandyford and brown field sites, should have been the release valve for the "old centre" ... I believe the Irish glass bottle site originally was to house 10,000 units, its now 3,500...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I consider myself lucky reading this. Got a house Jan last year, 4 bed and paying 1100 a month incl insurance. Beforehand I was paying only 800 p/m in a 1 bed apt in the city centre. Same place was advertised at 1200 there a few months ago....

I rented my place out at 1000 - asking is not 1400 in the space of less than two years. To The_Conductors point you guys already know I'm increasing the rent on mine purely because of the legislation. If they removed the single issue of having to continue the discount between tenancies I'd leave it be, even if it meant I could only increase by the back dated RPZ amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Just listening to RTE at lunchtime- they're blaming the RPZs for the increases particularly in the Dublin area. Talk about laws of unintended consequences- if this is true. Haven't had a chance to read the report at all yet myself.

Ronan Lyons was drawing attention to the fair deal scheme for nursing home care as contributer to the lack of supply.
    Sometimes you would wonder whether all this government interference is by accident or design.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ires-reit-may-set-record-for-rent-for-two-bed-in-sandyford-1.3075622

An extract from that link
    Apartments at Ires Reit’s latest development in Sandyford, south Dublin, are set to rent from €2,570 for a two-bed apartment when the scheme launches on July 4th, setting a possible new record for the area.
    The Maple, at Beacon South Quarter, is a newly-built development of 68 apartments – four one-bed, 55 two-bed and nine three-bed apartments. It was constructed by the property fund, Ireland’s biggest private landlord, specifically for the rental market, and Ires Reit promises “well-appointed, spacious apartments” with private garden areas, at the location.
    Tenants will pay a premium to live there, however, with one-beds due to hit the market at €1,925, two-beds from €2,570 and three-beds from €2,750.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Once the majority of leases are going to run out, especially for families and the kind who're renting from private landlords, or if they decide to sell up (something I'd suggest every private LL at the moment) this is going to get really messy.
    In two years time, we'll hear from massive overcrowding involving families with children and elderly on a very regular base. This is so sad.

LirW wrote: »
    massive overcrowding involving families with children and elderly on a very regular base. This is so sad.

The CSO released housing stats as the first tranche of census statistics- which show this already. Just shy of 700,000 people are living in overcrowded conditions- over a third of whom are owner occupiers.

Yes- things are going to get a lot worse in the immediate future- particularly if the vast preponderance of property being built are 1 and 2 bed apartments.

The problem I see with this is if you're a family or pretty much not the perfect "young working professional (couple)" tenant, you're facing homelessness once you get evicted. Where is this going to head?

The problem I see with this is if you're a family or pretty much not the perfect "young working professional (couple)" tenant, you're facing homelessness once you get evicted. Where is this going to head?

But there aren't any new 'family' homes entering the rental market- matter of fact- pretty much any sane landlord who has a 'family house' is getting rid of it- while the market is as bouyant as it is. There is nothing to say that families are even buying these units- aka the available stock of 'family homes' for renting- is dwindling........ The government's plans are only encouraging this trend- to be brutally honest, you'd need your head examined to remain a landlord in the sector- esp. with second hand prices as strong as they are.

And I can't blame landlords for selling up, their own decision, I would too because of all the hassle.
    I'm serious though, there are lots of families depending on the rental sector, what will the governments future policy be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I consider myself lucky too. OH and I live in a 1-bed apartment that we pay €1050 pm a month for including an on-site gym. Our bills are really low too as it's very well insulated and we're on the third floor so we rarely have to use the heating. I thought this was very high when we moved in here back in May 2014 as we were moving from a 2-bed in Grand Canal Dock that we paid €975 pm for because our landlady was selling up. But when that apartment went back on the rental market after being sold a year and a half later, the monthly rent had shot up to €1500 pm. Naturally, as it's near town and a lot of MNCs. Meanwhile in our current apartment complex, rents in similar 1-bed apartments to ours are now €1250 -€1300 pm. By the RPZ rules, our rent can go up to around €1100 if the landlord decides tomorrow that he wants to do that. That's manageable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Your in trouble if you live in one of the cities in Ireland and you are renting. With the overpriced rents you may literally have to go hungry to pay the landlord the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Your in trouble if you live in one of the cities in Ireland and you are renting. With the overpriced rents you may literally have to go hungry to pay the landlord the rent.
    Or just leave the country which I am hoping to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

Nothing worse than 'I consider myself lucky' posts in these threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

The Daft report only captures new property being advertised. I believe the RPZ legislation has created a 2 speed rental market. Sitting tenants are only moving on when evicted, and are enjoying controlled pricing. New market entrants are facing rock bottom supply and sky high prices.

With nothing being done to encourage more housing supply, and nothing being done to encourage landlords to stay in the market (like addressing the time and cost of dealing with overholding), I cant see any future reports showing anything different for the next couple of years.

I fear we will see more demand side tinkering from our Government as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Once the majority of leases are going to run out, especially for families and the kind who're renting from private landlords, or if they decide to sell up (something I'd suggest every private LL at the moment) this is going to get really messy.
    In two years time, we'll hear from massive overcrowding involving families with children and elderly on a very regular base. This is so sad.

I havent even gotten out yet, but I will be. Look at the effect so far, and i imagine its just the tip of the ice berg of landlords who have stopped renting already this year. Many other landlords tenants are still serving notice. In the next few months all of those landlords will be bailing out.

I predict Coveny will only put out more legislation making it even worse for landlords again. Time to get out now, before he rogers you the rest of the way.

I havent even gotten out yet, but I will be. Look at the effect so far, and i imagine its just the tip of the ice berg of landlords who have stopped renting already this year. Many other landlords tenants are still serving notice. In the next few months all of those landlords will be bailing out.

I predict Coveny will only put out more legislation making it even worse for landlords again. Time to get out now, before he rogers you the rest of the way.

I'd agree. I think everyone is seeing where this is going. If it's a part 4 tenancy, you won't be able to evict to sell.
    Which straight away hampers who a landlord can sell to, as the banks won't lend with sitting tenants.
    That's coming in the next 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Villa05 wrote: »
    ....Sometimes you would wonder whether all this government interference is by accident or design.

Do You think its co-incidence that everything the Govt does has the effect of reducing supply, and increasing rents. Especially for large investments properties, funds.
    IRELAND’S LARGEST PRIVATE landlord, Ires Reit, will set a new benchmark for rents in south Dublin with its latest development in the capital.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ires-sandyford-apartments-2-3380707-May2017/

Rent controls and replacing small landlords with larger ones was very popular with many people on these forums. Even when previous experience elsewhere, indicated otherwise.

I'd agree. I think everyone is seeing where this is going. If it's a part 4 tenancy, you won't be able to evict to sell.
    Which straight away hampers who a landlord can sell to, as the banks won't lend with sitting tenants.
    That's coming in the next 12 months

A new LL won't want a property locked into a below market value rent either. So it will be likely be bought by someone to live in and be taken off the rental market entirely. The LL will only be able to sell once the part 4 is up for renewal.

beauf wrote: »
    Do You think its co-incidence that everything the Govt does has the effect of reducing supply, and increasing rents. Especially for large investments properties, funds.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ires-sandyford-apartments-2-3380707-May2017/

Rent controls and replacing small landlords with larger ones was very popular with many people on these forums. Even when previous experience elsewhere, indicated otherwise.

Thats the largest landlord in the country- IRES REIT.
    They were trying to put 10,000 units on this property (from memory) but got shot down to 3,500.

I'm sorry- but all of those people who expressed a wish to banish small landlords from the market- are unfortunately getting what they wished for.

The statement from the IRES REIT website- makes reference to the large cadre of international companies in the area- referencing Microsoft, Vodafone and others. It seems to have escaped them that the average salaries in these companies- even if it was paid wholly over to their landlord- wouldn't cover the rent on some of these (much less any other expenditure.

To have any standard of living you'd need at least a salary of 60k for a single person or a joint salary of up to 150k- if you plan on living in one of these units.

IRES REIT- of course are suggesting that these units are something special- that is not available elsewhere (I'd dispute this- there are some small developments in the area with concierges etc)- and that they shouldn't be held up as the direction things are going (which of course is bull****- as they'll do the exact same with their other developments at the first possible opportunity).

Actions like this by IRES REIT- do not help anyone- its a short term gain for the IRES- at significant cost to absolutely everyone else- notably tenants and other landlords.

The government really needs to investigate the actions of companies with power in the market such as this one- to ensure anticompetitive behaviour does not evolve- this action can only be viewed by any bystander- as a 'testing of the water' to see just what they can get away with........ Timing is spot on too- with the housing Minister expected to formally start campaigning for his new post- and the summer recess on the horizon for the houses of the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

beauf wrote: »
    A new LL won't want a property locked into a below market value rent either. So it will be likely be bought by someone to live in and be taken off the rental market entirely. The LL will only be able to sell once the part 4 is up for renewal.

I think they will be bought with a view to refurbishment if they are to be left on the market. I think one beds are the only investment game in town at the moment. Less work, less tenants, bigger yields by some margin.

If they are being taken off the market then family homes will be bought by families or couples and any house shared will be split up.

It's a fact that the government has never ever done anything to change the rental market here that hasn't rested in making it worse.

When will they get the message. Interference is ALWAYS disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The market knows nothing I'm afraid, it's time to ditch this ridiculous notion of the market knows best. The right type of intervention is required

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The market knows nothing I'm afraid, it's time to ditch this ridiculous notion of the market knows best. The right type of intervention is required

I think that's taking the term "knows" too literally.

The market will always adjust to supply and demand. Even if that's under the counter payments to get around and artificial rules.

There is only one​ type of intervention that will work. Over supply.

Every other intervention thus far has had the opposite effect than intended. How Many times does this have to happen before people learn that you can't compensate for chronic under supply of housing by more rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Really depends on what "market knows" and "interventions" means.

Of course wild unregulated competition is not always good and regulation is sometimes required.

But if intervention means trying to patch issues for some people while not addressing the root causes (which is what the gouvernement has been doing here), it often leads to things getting out of countrol and creating even more issues (for exemple increasing while some level of regulation is obviously needed in the area there is a point when adding more protection for existing tenants becomes couter-productive as it clearly makes it even worse for prospect tenants or those who want to move because their current home doesn't fit their needs anymore, which in the long term will hurt everyone at some stage and makes the rental market less fluid with some people staying in unsuitable accommodation because the cost of moving is too high).

Advertisement