Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Rental Report is Out

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I consider myself lucky reading this. Got a house Jan last year, 4 bed and paying 1100 a month incl insurance. Beforehand I was paying only 800 p/m in a 1 bed apt in the city centre. Same place was advertised at 1200 there a few months ago....

Feel absolutely blessed to get landed with some good luck where I'm out of the renting game.

Our 4th place in 5 years. Started of paying 700pm for a two bed apartment in a lovely area, then €1250 for a large three bed house, got a good price for €1000 a month for a 3 bed in a lovely area. Thankfully now in a home where a family member asked me to take over with my family.

Was being absolutely broken month to month when I moved into the €1250, the €1000 deal was marginal breathing space but price increases elsewhere ate it up.

Had a proper breakdown back in January due to the financial pressure I was under keeping a roof and things going for my family as the only income. I'd consider myself mentally strong, I'd have been flippant at the "depression culture" I felt was becoming an excuse in Ireland and never would have thought I would succumb to anything like it.

But there I was in the kitchen, grown man, curled in a ball against a kitchen press just uncontrollably crying and freaking out.

I'm only two weeks or so in my current house, but my paycheck came in, and I nearly cried again at the relief I wasn't losing near half to rent and just felt immediate relief.

The RPZ stuff looks like a nightmare. Again just government involvement that is short sighted, get a quick win with voters and again just not longterm plan or vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beauf wrote: »
    Who is saying they are bad guys?

The point is we have a housing shortage. Yet we are selling off housing. The Govt aren't building anything to replace it, for those that can't afford it.

Literally only speaking to a friend yesterday who owns property. To break even he would need to jack the price to a level that a)might breach RPZ controls b) Is absolutely ****ty he feels to do to the good tenants he has and c) Is much more now then if he was to break even just 4 years ago.

With the controls as he outlined, there is no incentive to maintain the property or do anything outside the bare minimum, especially in the situation where he is making a loss on it.

He is selling up. He's a nice guy, not a professional landlord just got some good luck and knew he was sitting on a nice lump sum. So he has told his tenants unofficially, he is in no rush so he won't be pushing them out, and they can keep renting on a month to month basis after their notice time lapses if they havn't got sorted no problems.

But like, as mentioned above, its another house removed from the market. Where supply is already a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I gave notice to my tenants who will be moving out in 3 weeks. They were renting at 30% under market rate. They were coming to end of their Part IV so  took the opportunity to end tenancy while i could. I couldnt keep them with the new rules. Will either sell or refurbish in order to charge market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TheDoc wrote: »
    Literally only speaking to a friend yesterday who owns property. To break even he would need to jack the price to a level that a)might breach RPZ controls b) Is absolutely ****ty he feels to do to the good tenants he has and c) Is much more now then if he was to break even just 4 years ago.
    How is it harder for him to break even now compared to 4 years ago?

Maybe I've misunderstood the sentence "to break even he would need to jack the price to a level that ... is much more now then if he was to break even just 4 years ago."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I gave notice to my tenants who will be moving out in 3 weeks. They were renting at 30% under market rate. They were coming to end of their Part IV so took the opportunity to end tenancy while i could. I couldnt keep them with the new rules. Will either sell or refurbish in order to charge market rate.

It's interesting that one camp think this will hamper standard while others are doing the above. Now I'm not opening the 'does it qualify as refurbishment' debate but it's interesting that those talking asbout it publicly do seem to be doing some substantial refurbs, if nothing else to strengthen any potential case with the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Who is saying they are bad guys?

The point is we have a housing shortage. Yet we are selling off housing. The Govt aren't building anything to replace it, for those that can't afford it.

We are also buying. Local authorities around the country are buying houses because it is cheaper than building them.

Whether we are buying or selling properties makes not one whit of difference to the overall supply though. The only way to increase supply is buildin in the medium to long term and renting out vacant homes in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Lumen wrote: »
    How is it harder for him to break even now compared to 4 years ago?

Maybe I've misunderstood the sentence "to break even he would need to jack the price to a level that ... is much more now then if he was to break even just 4 years ago."

Perhaps when he rented it out 4 years ago, it was at the then market rate. He may still have been making a loss.

Now if he gets new tenants, he's forced to keep making a loss. If you can explain how its fair that 2 apartments of the exact same standard in the same block can have vastly different legal rents, I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

376 of the 442 apartments already had tenants in them when it went on the market.
    Not exactly a large number of empty apartment blocks.
    Selling property to the council does nothing in the short to medium term to provide supply.
    In the long term it will, but not currently and most likely not in the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I love the stereotype you create for landlords.. not all of us are rolling in the money.. Some of us get by watching tenants have nicer cars than ourself while were trying to pay off the mortgage and topping it up with paye income.

I dont know if you know but house prices are sky rocketing at the moment.. with yields of maybe 5-8pc depending on what you buy, it isnt exactly a get rich scheme especially if you consider whatever we earn the government take over half of it off us.

High Rent = poor Tenant now where back in time back to the good old days of the Rich Landlord like the years of 1998 to 2008 . disgusting in my opinion back to Galway tents oyster drinking before there drink. and there big 90000 euro cars.

I had a perfectly reasonable rent in Dublin CC in the years prior to 2006 when I bought. Just sayin' :pac:

Rents were no where near as bad then as they are now IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I had a perfectly reasonable rent in Dublin CC in the years prior to 2006 when I bought. Just sayin' :pac:

Rents were no where near as bad then as they are now IMHO.

Yes I remember 2006 was still ok but starting to go mad (I remember viewing a 2 beds new build in the docklands for 1500 euros though which is cheaper than nowadays but was starting to go a bit over the top especially as the area was still a huge construction site).

Bob24 wrote: »
    2006 was still ok but starting to go mad.

To buy it was bat crap mental doolally balls. Rental was okay AFAIK. The rents didn't go up much in that particular complex until 2 years ago, or did I miss an entire cycle of up and then down again - very possible I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

To buy it was bat crap mental doolally balls. Rental was okay AFAIK. The rents didn't go up much in that particular complex until 2 years ago, or did I miss an entire cycle of up and then down again - very possible I did.

Yes I am talking rent prices. What I saw is sharp rent increases in the period leading to the crash around 2008, then a period when it collapsed (for 2 or 3 years people were calling their landlord each year to reduce rent or move on), and I think it started to pick-up again around 2011/2012 and really going bananas in the past 2/3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

376 of the 442 apartments already had tenants in them when it went on the market.
    Not exactly a large number of empty apartment blocks.
    Selling property to the council does nothing in the short to medium term to provide supply.
    In the long term it will, but not currently and most likely not in the next 5 years

Considering we have people in tents on the canals I'm not sure why almost 70 apartments is not significant. It's just one example and a recent one.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes I am talking rent prices. What I saw is sharp rent increases in the period leading to the crash around 2008, that a period when it collapsed (for 2 or 3 years people were calling their landlord each year to reduce rent or move on), and I think it started to pick-up again around 2011/2012 and really going bananas in the past 2/3 years.

They did what?! Surely not I thought tenants would have just paid the rent they agreed in the beginning, none of this free market stuff. Surely there was some control saying they couldn't ask for more than a 4% reduction?

Oh wait :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The big landlords are private companies. However most landlords 70% or so only have one property. For many its income for their pension. If you have a good pension you'd be unlikely to need a rental as income. Or the hassle.

Advertisement