Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to Work - Suggested Bikes and other queries?

Options
  • 09-05-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Work have finally decided to get on board with the cycle to work scheme, so I'm thinking I might get myself a bicycle again, haven't owned a bike in a few years now.

Couple of queries:
    1. Any suggestion as to brand/type? I'm living pretty close to work, it's downhill to work and uphill coming home.
    2. I don't have a shed/garage at home, so storage is going to be an issue - is there any handy solutions I could avail of here?
    3. Any suggestions on things to look out for, things that aren't important/etc would be great
    4. Any recommendations for bike shops in Cork would also be handy.

I'll probably have a heap more questions later, but interested in what people think. My sister-in-law's husband is big into cycling, but I can't ask him because he's obsessed with his bike, I just want something to get me to/from work in an easy a manner as possible.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any questions on the BTW scheme itself (as opposed to wider questions on which bike, storage etc) should be directed the the Megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you feel you can't ask people who are obsessed with bikes, then you're in the wrong place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

dulpit wrote: »
    My sister-in-law's husband is big into cycling

Is that your brother?

there are many many things that you could get/change/think about etc, that you probably know from your brother (?)

I would suggest going to a proper bike shop like the-edge, rather than halfords.
    I would suggest getting a road bike, rather than a hybrid, and definitely nor a mountain bike.
    For a 'first' proper bike, I would be suggesting an aluminum bike with tiagra or 105 groupset, you don't need a carbon frame, but if the bike that catches you eye, a carbon fork is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

My suggestion: buy a cheap bike second hand to see if you enjoy the cycling. No point in:
    - buying a road bike if you're not going to enjoy it
    - buying a hybrid if you're going to want to cycle more

Then when you've decided whether you're suited to a hybrid or a road bike, decide what % of the €1,000 you want to spend on a bike. I just did the BTW and put everything against the cost of my bike, but you can also count accessories (hi vis, helmet, lock etc etc) towards the total. Obviously the more you spend on the bike, the better the bike (generally), but if you need to use the budget to buy storage etc, that needs to be a factor.

Would +1 going to a proper bike shop over Halfords.

And speak to your sister in laws husband. He might be mad into his cycling, but he'll enjoy helping you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

kierank01 wrote: »
    Is that your brother?

there are many many things that you could get/change/think about etc, that you probably know from your brother (?)

I would suggest going to a proper bike shop like the-edge, rather than halfords.
    I would suggest getting a road bike, rather than a hybrid, and definitely nor a mountain bike.
    For a 'first' proper bike, I would be suggesting an aluminum bike with tiagra or 105 groupset, you don't need a carbon frame, but if the bike that catches you eye, a carbon fork is ok

Haven't much to offer in advice beyond what other posters have said, but I'd guess this might actually be his wife's sister's husband, i.e. his wife's brother-in-law ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm only beginning myself, so don't have much knowledge, but got a Cannondale Quick 5 on the BTW scheme, along with a bunch of bits and pieces. Lovely bike (to my eyes at least!) and enjoy commuting on it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

For just commuting a short distance, you are much better off with a hybrid than with a road bike in my opinion.

You want something with a comfortable position and saddle, mudguards, lights and a rack for carrying stuff. That's my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Where are you going to store your bike at home?
    Do you have a secure storage location at work?
    Do you have shower/ changing facilities at work?
    Do you intend carrying a backpack?
    Do you intend cycling every day and in all weather?

Invest in a good lock! If you don't have a secure storage location at work, buy Two locks and keep one at home And one at work.

Travel as light as possible....leave as much as possible in work (lock, shirts,shoes, trousers, jacket etc.)

Learn to love a headwind!
    Avail of the BTW scheme and use all of it on the bike.
    Keep your bike clean at all times.
    Keep it well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you feel you can't ask people who are obsessed with bikes, then you're in the wrong place! :)

Sorry, to address this now - the issue isn't so much that he's obsessed, that was the wrong word to use. But he's the kind of person that wouldn't pay €50 for something if he knew there was a slightly better version available for €300. It's the best and nothing but for him. Also, to confirm - he is indeed my wife's sister's husband :-)

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    My suggestion: buy a cheap bike second hand to see if you enjoy the cycling. No point in:
    - buying a road bike if you're not going to enjoy it
    - buying a hybrid if you're going to want to cycle more
    I want something to commute with, and for the occasional cycle here and there. I know I won't be joining a club, going on 40K cycles or entering sportifs or anything.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    Then when you've decided whether you're suited to a hybrid or a road bike, decide what % of the €1,000 you want to spend on a bike. I just did the BTW and put everything against the cost of my bike, but you can also count accessories (hi vis, helmet, lock etc etc) towards the total. Obviously the more you spend on the bike, the better the bike (generally), but if you need to use the budget to buy storage etc, that needs to be a factor.
    Ideally I'd get everything I need out of the €1K - does that sound doable?
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Where are you going to store your bike at home?
    This is my big concern, I don't have a shed/garage/space indoors. I do have a secure back garden, but it's open to the elements - any suggestions on coverings/etc?
    Do you have a secure storage location at work?
    I need to suss this out, but I'm pretty sure there's bike locks hidden away behind the office which would be quite secure.
    Do you have shower/ changing facilities at work?
    Yep, we have them.
    Do you intend carrying a backpack?
    This goes back to my lack of knowledge. I bring a laptop to work every day, it's a small ultrabook so size/weight isn't an issue. I generally have an a4 pad too - I don't know if backpack or those yokes over back wheels are better?
    Do you intend cycling every day and in all weather?
    *shrugs*. Probably fair weather to begin with.

I want something to commute with, and for the occasional cycle here and there. I know I won't be joining a club, going on 40K cycles or entering sportifs or anything.

Ideally I'd get everything I need out of the €1K - does that sound doable?

This is my big concern, I don't have a shed/garage/space indoors. I do have a secure back garden, but it's open to the elements - any suggestions on coverings/etc?

I need to suss this out, but I'm pretty sure there's bike locks hidden away behind the office which would be quite secure.

Yep, we have them.

This goes back to my lack of knowledge. I bring a laptop to work every day, it's a small ultrabook so size/weight isn't an issue. I generally have an a4 pad too - I don't know if backpack or those yokes over back wheels are better?

*shrugs*. Probably fair weather to begin with.

No point even considering a bike until you know where your going to keep it. Sort that out first.

Then buy a hybrid. Dont worry about Mudguards or lights for the moment. Do buy a descent lock (or two).

personally i wouldn't put a laptop in a pannier bag..id put it in a backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sorry, to address this now - the issue isn't so much that he's obsessed, that was the wrong word to use. But he's the kind of person that wouldn't pay ?50 for something if he knew there was a slightly better version available for ?300. It's the best and nothing but for him. Also, to confirm - he is indeed my wife's sister's husband :-)

Ah yeah we all know lads like that, but often that comes from experience too. So many people start out, buy the cheap bike and the cheap gear, only to regret it later. The thing to do is, take his advice on what to buy but look for it on sale, or in last year's model/colours, or mint and second hand. So you get the 2 grand bike for 1000 euro. Etc - That kind of thing.

Or, perhaps better still, if ye're the same size - buy his old bike off him for a song :)

Any suggestions for storage at home without a shed though? Point taken re. sister-in-law's husband...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't know your setup OP, but many a bike has been stolen from a "secure" back garden or locked shed.
    You need to first work out the security or it'll become another statistic fairly quickly.
    Either get a cheap 2nd hand bike (preferably not stolen) that will be less attractive for thieves or make it sufficiently difficult for scrotes so that they will go elsewhere, eg, ground anchor.

I got a Boardman Hybrid Team a couple of years ago having been on a mountain bike for a hilly 20km round trip commute before that.
    Don't know whey I stuck with the mountain bike for so long.
    It's alu and light enough. Good stopping with the disc brakes although I find them fussier than rim brakes when putting back on the wheel.
    Some might prefer drop bars, but for the commute I like the flat bars.

Any suggestions for storage at home without a shed though? Point taken re. sister-in-law's husband...

under your Bed!

Seriously..unless it's locked indoors it will be stolen.

Why is storage a problem? do you live in a house? could you keep it indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

+1 go and spend €150 on a second hand hybrid and use it for the summer (or the next 15 years) and if you like it then go and spend your full €1000.

If you go in now with your €1000 there are three outcomes
    *you love and you picked the right bike
    *you love it but you picked the wrong bike and can't get another BTW for 3/5 years
    *you don't love it and you have expensive gear clogging up your limited storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Ikea have cheap and presentable wall brackets. Think they are only 6 euro per pair.

Bit of plaster in the hole to re-enforce the rawl plug and you're laughing.

Only problem with keeping bikes indoors is keeping them clean ( not much of a problem during the good weather ). Baby wipes are just the job.

Back on topic - fixed gear is the only way to commute. Who needs all those gears for commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Back on topic - fixed gear is the only way to commute. Who needs all those gears for commuting?

Me. I've a 100m ascent/descent hitting 10% in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭muloc

I have a question on cost if anyone would know?

If I pay the higher rate of tax and spend the full €1,000 is the cost to me a straight €480 over the year i.e. 52% saving.

Do tax credits or any other salary deductions come into the calculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

muloc wrote: »

If I pay the higher rate of tax and spend the full €1,000 is the cost to me a straight €480 over the year i.e. 52% saving.

That all depends on how your company deals with the payment,
    Unfortunately my job takes it all in one go. All the more difficult with being paid monthly and being the sole breadwinner.
    Pretty much the cost of the bicycle is taken of your salary before any taxes etc are taken off.
    Therefore saving by not paying tax on the deduction AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

muloc wrote: »

If I pay the higher rate of tax and spend the full ?1,000 is the cost to me a straight ?480 over the year i.e. 52% saving.

Yes that's it, I'm on full rate of PRSI and got a bike 3 weeks ago and its costing me approx ?9.20 a week from my pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭muloc

Yes that's it, I'm on full rate of PRSI and got a bike 3 weeks ago and its costing me approx ?9.20 a week from my pay.

Makes sense though the last time I did the scheme I worked out the difference in take home pay after the deductions started and I reckoned it cost me about 38% :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

josip wrote: »
    Me. I've a 100m ascent/descent hitting 10% in both directions.

Some people have all the luck.

Advertisement