Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed membrane in veggie patch

Options
  • 09-05-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

This past winter I covered my raised veg patch with weed membrane to stop any weeds growing and it worked.
    Instead of removing the membrane in Spring, I planted my starter plants into openings in the membrane. And it's been a disaster. I have barely anything left. The slugs went nuts this year even with midnight torch searches.

Was the weed membrane a bad idea and caused the slug infestation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

MargeS wrote: »
    This past winter I covered my raised veg patch with weed membrane to stop any weeds growing and it worked.
    Instead of removing the membrane in Spring, I planted my starter plants into openings in the membrane. And it's been a disaster. I have barely anything left. The slugs went nuts this year even with midnight torch searches.

Was the weed membrane a bad idea and caused the slug infestation?
    Slugs are probably nice and cosy living under that matting. You should take it off

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've read a few reports of slug problems with membranes.

My beds have got black polythene (like bin liners) for weed control under a shallow layer of topsoil and mulch, like a poor man's membrane. Total disaster. I mean it's great for the weed control but it's done nothing for the soil quality. They were put in a long time ago by the previous owner and the clay topsoil is severely compacted.

I've been ripping it all out and trying to rehabilitate the soil but it's hard going, but wood chips and leaf mulch has done a good job of controlling the weeds since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how clear should an area be before laying down the membrane?? the patch i'm working on is over ridden with ivy & bramble....would spraying it with roundup and lay down the membrane do the job?

btw - its going to be a gravel flower bed

clearing.jpg

Advertisement