Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in Salthill

Options
  • 09-05-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Any where I could run in salthill/knocknacarra?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Bredabe wrote: »
    Any where I could run in salthill/knocknacarra?

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186609-d215937-Reviews-Salthill_Promenade-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

...right out to the end of Mutton Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Tks, too many ppl on the prom for my switch off runs, but mutton island would work. :)

Tks, too many ppl on the prom for my switch off runs, but mutton island would work. :)

Understandable! Try Cappagh Park but you'll need a high tolerance for uncontrolled dogs and their entitled owners!

Understandable! Try Cappagh Park but you'll need a high tolerance for uncontrolled dogs and their entitled owners!
    I dont run fast enough for dogs to be interested in me, but its so complicated for me to get to cappagh that it burns as many calories as the run and is head wrecking instead of clearing.

Last GCC election I asked a candidate for the area if they would consider a dog park somewhere in the claddagh/salthill/knocknacarra area, as I unknowingly had a "restricted breed" dog. He told me no need for a dog park as I could let it run around in cappagh park anytime.

:rolleyes:

Last GCC election I asked a candidate for the area if they would consider a dog park somewhere in the claddagh/salthill/knocknacarra area, as I unknowingly had a "restricted breed" dog. He told me no need for a dog park as I could let it run around in cappagh park anytime.

:rolleyes:

Nothing would surprise me with that lot...

• Advertisement

Nothing would surprise me with that lot...
    Seems like he "got the job" as well, if cllrs dont know the bye laws, cant expect most ppl to look them up(even if they didn't feel they did not apply to them)

Seems like he "got the job" as well, if cllrs dont know the bye laws, cant expect most ppl to look them up(even if they didn't feel they did not apply to them)
    *sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

A run up the canal then to NUIG along the river to Dangan playing fields

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

topcat77 wrote: »
    A run up the canal then to NUIG along the river to Dangan playing fields

+1. Very head clearing and one can take a dip at corrib village or opposite Menlo Castle°.

°one must be able to swim. Stampydmonkey takes no responsibility for this suggestion ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's also a running track in Westside Playing fields.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

flazio wrote: »
    There's also a running track in Westside Playing fields.
    Now that I've moved its as hard for me to get to as the one in knocknacarra, galway needs better busses or central sports facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

+1 to heading up by the canal and following the rover through Dangan.

I'm sure you already know that the prom is mostly concrete and while it's a stunning run, it's tough on the joints compared to tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

When I was still living in Knocknacarra I used to see people running lapses around the pitches at Millar's Lane. No track there, but I presume it's better than running along the Western Distributor Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The sports ground at Cappagh road have some tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

See here for popular running routes from Strava activity data...
    http://labs.strava.com/clusterer/#m=gc3x18vv&z=14&dl=2&dh=999&t=Run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You might be interested in the Saturday morning Parkrun - a free timed 5k in Cappagh park at 9.30 am every week. Register for free on Parkrun.ie (also in oranmore Renville park at same time)

Advertisement