Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad - Windows Deactivated

Options
  • 09-05-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

I purchases a laptop 4 years through laptopsdirect.ie. Last week, my laptop booted and cut out (as if the battery was dead). Since then it's been fine, I ran some disk checks, etc... and checked the event viewer but nothing of note I could see.

Since the cut happened, my Windows 8.1 has requested Activation. When I purchased it, it was preinstalled with no disc.

I have contacted LaptopsDirect, they advised me to contact Lenovo and they have now advised me to contact Microsoft... so getting no where there.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any product key on the base? Or in battery compartment?

If you don't, and it came preinstalled, I would back up any imporant data you have to a external hard drive, and perform a factory reset.

This may help.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-factory-reset-windows-computer/

Particularly this section “Refresh” or “Reset” Windows 8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Just call Microsoft, it's an automated system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MarkR wrote: »
    Any product key on the base? Or in battery compartment?

Nothing.
    If you don't, and it came preinstalled, I would back up any imporant data you have to a external hard drive, and perform a factory reset.

This may help.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-factory-reset-windows-computer/

Particularly this section “Refresh” or “Reset” Windows 8

I went to Refresh my Windows.

"Insert Media. Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files" :(
    degsie wrote: »
    Just call Microsoft, it's an automated system.

Called and they couldn't get the Product ID from my PC.

Looks like a fresh install of Windows over the weekend....

Cheers all.

Can you boot to the recovery partition? Try turning it off, and tapping F11 as it boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Have you tried activating via the system properties menu, it asks you to sign into Windows and you'll hopefully be asked to pick up Windows key from what's available.

Can you boot to the recovery partition? Try turning it off, and tapping F11 as it boots.

Will give it a try, thanks.
    TallGlass wrote: »
    Have you tried activating via the system properties menu, it asks you to sign into Windows and you'll hopefully be asked to pick up Windows key from what's available.

Tried that - getting Error code: 0x8007007B

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will give it a try, thanks.

Tried that - getting Error code: 0x8007007B

According to Microsoft support it seems your license needs activation via an organization key server. If it's a business machine it should activate next time you logon to the domain

yoyo wrote: »
    According to Microsoft support it seems your license needs activation via an organization key server. If it's a business machine it should activate next time you logon to the domain

Nope, just a local laptop in my bedroom - no domain or server.

If memory serves me right, I think I may have went from Windows 8 to 8.1 due to some free upgrade offer which could explain why it's a generic key? Not too sure and Lenovo have avoided me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

If memory serves me right, I think I may have went from Windows 8 to 8.1 due to some free upgrade offer which could explain why it's a generic key? Not too sure and Lenovo have avoided me.
    Thats probably what it was as it was different licence keys from 8 to 8.1. you should be able to pick up a cheap key from the likes of reddit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd contact Microsoft about the issue, sounds like whatever the Windows upgrade did it converted your license to a corporate one. Hopefully they'll help you sort it! :)

Advertisement