Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipway with a rear wheel drive

• 09-05-2017 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

As above I have just purchased a small 14 foot speed boat and haven't launched a boat in years, when I last did I was using a Pajero so no problem but I have a rear wheel drive BMW 5 series now so I'm wondering am I going to struggle for traction on the slipway. There's not much in the way of algae on it yet as it's only newly laid so what do people think?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you think it's too wet or slippy keep the car on the dry and lower the boat down the slip with a rope wrapped around the tow bar.

'

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

I'd be trying it without the trailer first. Standard advice for driving through water off road is seat belts off and windows open so if you've any fear at all that the car might end up in the water I'd following that advice.
    Read your owners manual as well RE traction control. Usually there is an override for driving on ice which would be similar to a slippy slipway.
    Or ignore all of this and go with what Fergal B says if you think you can manage it. Safest method if you don't want to get the car wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get an extension bar that either goes on to the cars towing eye or on to the tow ball.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-5-Ton-Car-Tow-Pole-Recovery-Towing-Bar-034-3-PIECE-034-Van-4x4-Pro-Heavy-Duty-/320887644912

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Did it for years with a ski nautique and a bmw, never an issue. We started out using a rope but stopped using it. Backed down as far as the rear axle, always recovered easily

Advertisement