Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new motherboard?

Options
  • 09-05-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I was working abroad for the past 9 months and my computer was stored untouched in my bedroom at home. For the first 2 days the pc worked fine, it's mostly used for csgo. then on third day it froze mid game, the screen went went black or sometimes green depending on the screen it froze on and the audio kept repeating a high pitched ticking noise. A few times I could crtl+alt+del and shut cs down which would stop the freeze and other times the pc would blue screen. this went on for the rest of the day until finally the pc would not turn on anymore. I popped open the case and and had a look. After connecting the green and black in the 20 pin port the computer fired up but the motherboard gave an error 19 readout. There seemed to be no power to the motherboard peripherals ( wifi stick, m+kb) however everything connected to the psu fired up. Now whenever I turn it on using the power button it starts up for a second, no display or anything, and restarts its self. I'm guessing that the mb is bolloxed but that's just a hunch, Maybe it could be the cpu over heating? it's about 5 years old now and has the same stock cooler and orignal paste. Sorry if this post is muddled, I'll edit it to the best of my ability. Any and all helped appreciated, thanks.
    Motherboard: asrock p67 pro
    Cpu Intel 2500k
    Gpu Radeon Hd 6870
    Psu Superfllower 450w
    RAM Ripjaws 8gb
    OS Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have you tried resetting BIOS (turn off PC, remove BIOS battery for 10 seconds & replace)?

I had to clear BIOS like that recently as the PC was starting up with 0.5V on CPU (needs at least 0.95V to run).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 michaelR93

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have you tried resetting BIOS (turn off PC, remove BIOS battery for 10 seconds & replace)?

I had to clear BIOS like that recently as the PC was starting up with 0.5V on CPU (needs at least 0.95V to run).

Tried that now and still nothing, It makes sense for the issue that was causing the crash would be the cause of the start up problems too right? or is that assuming too much. when I hotwire the psu everything is running except no power to the mouse and kb, although i can plug in and charge my phone. When in this state there's no output on the monitor. If I don't hotwire it just goes on and off every 4-5 seconds. Is there a way could try and isolate the problems? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I would suggest testing memory

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The behaviour before it died sounds like GPU death. Potentially could be memory though.

If you can, borrow any other crappy GPU to test with, two seconds and you'll rule it in or out.

Advertisement